How To Begin?

Heya!

I need to start training our dog more. (Yoshi - 2 year old lab x poodle - hypo hypo dog!) He has general obedience like "outside" and "sit down" but I want to expand it more for being able to take him out to our local park for a run. He loves to run off and im scared im going to lose him! :laugh: what are some good books or advice on training?? We are getting another dog (2 yo standard who is trained) and I want to be able to let them both run around and come out the front with us when are gardening without having to have them on leads.

I want to be able to let them both run around and come out the front with us when are gardening without having to have them on lead

May I just say first, that this is not a very good plan :laugh: ANYTHING can happen - a fright, another dog off lead.. a cat- and your dogs will just go into instinct mode :hug:

Way better to have them on long chains/leads..attach the leads to your ankle or something..then you will all be happy.

re: your dog- start off small.. it will take time.

have a read of THIS

and you may understand that when your dog does something- it is because he gets a reward of some sort ..now you can help channel that :hug:

Same with the walking-- start off by sitting quietly on lead- then walking nicely in the house/yard... then out the front....

Off lead recall is a matter of respect and reward..and comes, IMO, late in teh day- when your dog has a different relationship with you.

Some dogs are not good at offleash recall- ever-. I have one :hug: Hamlet(6 yo) will hunt if he sees a moving target.

I find it easier to take him on a VERY long line- he can run and sniff and swim.. but never disappear.

That 2 year old standard poodle will lose his obedience skills unless they are reinforced.

I think a visit with a trainer and/or joining your local obedience club would be a really good idea. Learning how to train dogs is a bit like learning to drive - it's a hell of a lot easier if someone shows you how to do it. :thumbsup:

I agree that having dogs offlead in your front yard is not wise unless it is securely fenced. You won't be focussed on the dogs and all sorts of distractions will happen. People walking their dogs won't thank you if your dogs annoy them.

Edited by poodlefan