K9 Pro Training In Drive

Well I got my TID information and can get started tomorrow. Its funny how use to a routine the dogs get. My youngster was very unimpressed with the fact her squeakie toys had vanished overnight and so thought she could find a couple of clothes pegs and my hair brush to kill first thing this morning :laugh: (hmmm remind me she is 2 and not a puppy anymore!!!!). Before I left to come into work today I had a serious extinction burst of mad dog - I had sticks bought to me and shoved in my leg, I had paper shredded, I wore 13kg of BC in my lap, she was pestering my older girl and when none of that worked she gave up on me and decided to go and stalk things in the garden and run the fence barking at everything :) . That was all before I disappeared for the day. Bring on day 1 of the drive building tomorrow :( . Heaven help me I still have tonight to get through. I had the option of staying home today and thought it would be easier on me if I didn't :) .

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I got my TID information and can get started tomorrow. Its funny how use to a routine the dogs get. My youngster was very unimpressed with the fact her squeakie toys had vanished overnight and so thought she could find a couple of clothes pegs and my hair brush to kill first thing this morning :laugh: (hmmm remind me she is 2 and not a puppy anymore!!!!). Before I left to come into work today I had a serious extinction burst of mad dog - I had sticks bought to me and shoved in my leg, I had paper shredded, I wore 13kg of BC in my lap, she was pestering my older girl and when none of that worked she gave up on me and decided to go and stalk things in the garden and run the fence barking at everything :laugh: . That was all before I disappeared for the day. Bring on day 1 of the drive building tomorrow :laugh: . Heaven help me I still have tonight to get through. I had the option of staying home today and thought it would be easier on me if I didn't :) .

:( Congratulations on starting TID

I had the same reaction from Indi when her toys disappeared that first day. We had the sudden rediscovery of "Ancient Forgotten Toys" being proudly presented to me with eager anticipation - on her part anyway :). We live on over an acre so there were plenty of toys to be found!!!

Don't forget to give us updates - it's great to keep up with everyone's progress here, because I know my friends and family just don't "get" what Indi and I are doing :laugh:

:) glad it wasn't just me. This dog lives for her multiple daily fetching sessions although mostly she doesn't demand them so it was strange that she was now trying to demand a session out of me. She use to have a toy box in my room with a few soft squeakie toys that I was happy to have her play with and she would get those out in the morning but they were never presented to me to throw unless I took one and threw it. Lucky for me yesterday was spent at another workshop with the dogs and she was crated most of the day otherwise I'd have had to suffer through 2 days of this.

I pity my older girl though as Kenz wouldn't leave her alone this morning. Amazing since usually we would have gone for a half hour fetching session at the park, they would have come home and had breakie and been pretty content to head off and do their own thing for the morning.

The other upside I guess is less walks means I might actually get my act together with my other dogs UD training since she will need something to do in the meantime :) .

Will keep you updated - suppose I will have a day 1 video sometime tomorrow maybe I should video my very first session it could end up being quite a comedy :( .

Looking forward to our steve consult on Friday. Will see what he has to make of her.

:party: huski. I just needed to hear it gets better eventually :cheer: . Not sure its going to wash with the neighbours if she is this feral for too long.

Just have a look at huski's latest video - it'll make it all worth while :birthday: - at least that's what I'm hoping :dancingelephant:

LOL GSD I don't think we are that great an example, Ness's dogs are already pretty good :dancingelephant:

:birthday: When you're looking from Indi and my level it's not hard to look great

ETA to say we didn't have a very good training session today so we're in need of a little motivation :cheer:

Edited by gsdog2

LOL GSD I don't think we are that great an example, Ness's dogs are already pretty good :birthday:

:cheer:When you're looking from Indi and my level it's not hard to look great

ETA to say we didn't have a very good training session today so we're in need of a little motivation :party:

Hmm, I dont know about that. I saw your latest vid (where you are training out front of your house??) and Indi looks pretty good to me :dancingelephant:

Totally agree SK - I watched the vid you uploaded today GSD and Indi was looking great! Especially as you've only just started!

But did you notice towards the end she's getting distracted (and I'm ok with that because OH is using the whipper snipper), but not happy with how I finished the session - it's a bit flat :eek:

Pffft GSD if that is a flat session you don't want to see some of the flat sessions I've had (and still have occasionally LOL) - i.e. me holding food out saying "get it! get it!" and Daisy just staring at me like "meh." :eek:

Totally agree SK - I watched the vid you uploaded today GSD and Indi was looking great! Especially as you've only just started!

But did you notice towards the end she's getting distracted (and I'm ok with that because OH is using the whipper snipper), but not happy with how I finished the session - it's a bit flat :eek:

Yes, but even I was getting distracted by that whipper snipper in the background just watching the vid. I think she did really well to ignore it like that! :cry:

Pffft GSD if that is a flat session you don't want to see some of the flat sessions I've had (and still have occasionally LOL) - i.e. me holding food out saying "get it! get it!" and Daisy just staring at me like "meh." :eek:

Really :o - looking at your video's Daisy looks soooooo keen!!!!

We've had 4 sessions today - two I was happy with and two I was disappointed with (just wish I'd finished her session with more drive).

Next time Indi goes flat I'll just have to remember Daisy going "meh" at food :cry:

Pffft GSD if that is a flat session you don't want to see some of the flat sessions I've had (and still have occasionally LOL) - i.e. me holding food out saying "get it! get it!" and Daisy just staring at me like "meh." :cry:

Really :laugh: - looking at your video's Daisy looks soooooo keen!!!!

We've had 4 sessions today - two I was happy with and two I was disappointed with (just wish I'd finished her session with more drive).

That's a small problem to have if you got her into drive and working well to start with even if it was for a short period of time :D

Next time Indi goes flat I'll just have to remember Daisy going "meh" at food :o

Yes, do, especially if it's hot :eek:

She was two when we started doing TID and that meant she had two years of learning the best way to get drive satisfaction was by putting her nose to the ground and scenting. Daisy's scent drive is insane - we had a training session with Seita yesterday and she was going MAD for a scent that was off in the bushes - there was something there that she was dying to go after. We had been training we were sitting down together having a chat and Daisy was on leash but going ballistic barking trying to get to this scent that was driving her mad. I was able to call her back and reward her which I never used to be able to do, but it's still a very strong instinct that she has and one we have battled with - I used to be able to shove food under her nose when she was scenting and she wouldn't even notice it was there.

Some beagles are more scent driven than others, Daisy is one of the most scent driven beags I've ever met. She's relatively low drive when it comes to TID and compared to other dogs but just being able to get her working and interested in working is a big deal for us.

Edited by huski

Some beagles are more scent driven than others, Daisy is one of the most scent driven beags I've ever met. She's relatively low drive when it comes to TID and compared to other dogs but just being able to get her working and interested in working is a big deal for us.

Are you going to do tracking with her at some point, then? She sounds like she'd be a star at it. And it is FUN! :eek:

Are you going to do tracking with her at some point, then? She sounds like she'd be a star at it. And it is FUN! :eek:

Yes, thinking about it! Would like to get a couple of obedience titles first though. But I agree, I think she would be a natural.