K9 Pro Training In Drive

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

;) SecretKei I don't think your handling is bad so don't knock yourself. I am sure you will get there you seem very dedicated in your approach :eek: .

Yep, but only cos I'm so bloody stubborn that I refuse to give up ;)

I wouldn't be getting anywhere with Daisy if I weren't so stubborn! :( Dammit, beagles can do it just as well as any other dog, and I WILL prove it :(

Just as well you are stubborn then. I have no experience with Beagles but I think Daisy looks great! Youve daone a great job with her :mad

I don't even want to remember my first training session with Daisy :mad

Or actually most of the first module at all :(

I wish could forget :( I must have looked like an idiot, hope the neighbours werent watching. They allready think Im a bit weird though.

Just as well you are stubborn then. I have no experience with Beagles but I think Daisy looks great! Youve daone a great job with her :mad

Thanks ;) I can't wait to get her out in the trial ring! Not too long to go! I've already gone through highlighted the trials I want to enter this year :(

I wish could forget :( I must have looked like an idiot, hope the neighbours werent watching. They allready think Im a bit weird though.

We train in food drive and it took me ages to get the right technique. Daisy is my first trialling dog so it's a huge learning curve for both of us.

I think you look good secretkai. :)

I remember back to my first training session. I thought this will be good, no worries, Ive played tug with the dog before nothing to it.

I produced the orbee, dog launched like maniac. Me, completely unprepared for the 'enthusiasm' shown by Mica moved backwards in a rush only to trip over a stick on the ground. I ended up flat on my back with a 34 kg dog who decided I must have wanted to play stacks on, on top of me trying desperately to get the orbee. I was laughing so hard I couldnt get Mica off me to get up :o

and yes I am glad i didnt have the video set up for that one!

I think the most embarrasing thing though, is I think I tripped over the day after too when I stepped in a hole. I learned to check my ground thouroughly before commencing training, even a tiny stick could end in disaster. :thumbsup:

I felt pretty awkward when I fisrt started the training but with practice you do get better and more coordinated. keep at it!

:o

In my first session I am bouncing around like an idiot and Kei is looking at me like 'what the hell are you doing?' He then proceeds to lie down and pretend it's not happening :rofl: ..and mine is on video :rofl:

So yes, we have improved somewhat from there :)

Huski- I have seen a video of yours (very early module 1) when your cat starts chasing Daisy's leash mid session. Love it! Completely cracked me up :laugh:

Huski- I have seen a video of yours (very early module 1) when your cat starts chasing Daisy's leash mid session. Love it! Completely cracked me up :)

Hahahaha now I have to try and remember which video that was :thumbsup:

Ahhhhh so bad :o

I have another one from very early module one where the cat just sits there watching us the entire time :)

I look back on some of those and cringe soooooooo much :laugh:

ETA: Although admittedly I cringe watching ones I uploaded a week or two ago :o

Edited by huski

In my first session I am bouncing around like an idiot and Kei is looking at me like 'what the hell are you doing?' He then proceeds to lie down and pretend it's not happening :( ..and mine is on video :)

So yes, we have improved somewhat from there ;)

Huski- I have seen a video of yours (very early module 1) when your cat starts chasing Daisy's leash mid session. Love it! Completely cracked me up :eek:

:laugh: Mica has done this. She has high prey drive but didnt want to play sometimes in the early stages, mostly when we started to take the show on the road and train in different places. It was a bit disheartening but you get past it. It did help that Steve didnt give up on us :)

:D at the cat. Distraction training for Daisy??

Edited by laeral

I'd take her to your local IPO club, you'll learn more about training in drive and get better results

Have you done the K9 Force program, Yesmaam?

I don't need to pay anyone to learn about this stuff. "We" have been training this way for years. What Steve does is good for some but if you want first hand experience from people who are actually out there trialling dogs using these methods then go to your local IPO club. The focus in an IPO club is competition not programs that cost you money depending on what you sign up for.......

I know I'm a bit late replying to this BUT the local IPO club in QLD DOES NOT accept breeds that aren't alllowed to compete, I tried this avenue because I got sick of training with a club that was so set in it's ways that it couldn't see the benefits of training differently.

I realise the OP has an accepted breed for IPO but perhaps they aren't close to a club or they don't want to train in a class environment OR they just want some one on one instruction from an experienced trainer and MAYBE they don't want to worry about the protection or tracking side of things and are happy doing ANKC obedience... did you think of that before shooting off about IPO???

I realise the OP has an accepted breed for IPO but perhaps they aren't close to a club or they don't want to train in a class environment OR they just want some one on one instruction from an experienced trainer and MAYBE they don't want to worry about the protection or tracking side of things and are happy doing ANKC obedience... did you think of that before shooting off about IPO???

Just a quick explanation/correction about couple of points in this post.

IPO training is not done in a class environment.

Participation in protection or tracking training is not compulsory.

I have been to an IPO club to look around and did a couple of sessions. Very different layout to obedience classes - one dog worked at a time. They are a very nice bunch of people, very helpful and accepting even though my GSD is low drive and non pedigreed :love: I don't go anymore because I have decided not to trial Diesel as he is not interested in competing. I saw one of the members briefly at the agility trial on the weekend, he was walking through on a break from obedience trialling. Lovely guy with great dogs :laugh:

• 2 months later...

I thought I might give those who are interested an update on my decision to try K9 Pro's TID course :D

We have completed Module 1 and have now started Module 2 and we (Indi and I) are having a ball!!! I encourage anyone considering this course to contact Steve as he is "very" patient and explains TID so simply even a dummy like me can understand what's required :laugh:

Even if you don't want anymore from this course than to simply have-a-go, you will find the bond with your dog will increase 10-fold. I would like to evenually compete with Indi in Obedience Trials however I found Indi had no enthusiasm in our regular one hour weekly classes (paddock bashing I think they call it :cool: ) after the first 10 minutes. My aim is basically to have Indi keen to work when I say those magic words "Are you ready" and so far it seems to be working :)

GSD: I thought I might give those who are interested an update on my decision to try K9 Pro's TID course :)

We have completed Module 1 and have now started Module 2 and we (Indi and I) are having a ball!!! I encourage anyone considering this course to contact Steve as he is "very" patient and explains TID so simply even a dummy like me can understand what's required :cool:

Even if you don't want anymore from this course than to simply have-a-go, you will find the bond with your dog will increase 10-fold. I would like to evenually compete with Indi in Obedience Trials however I found Indi had no enthusiasm in our regular one hour weekly classes (paddock bashing I think they call it :D ) after the first 10 minutes. My aim is basically to have Indi keen to work when I say those magic words "Are you ready" and so far it seems to be working :)

K9: Hey thanks for the feedback, Indi is doing really well and she looks like she is having a geat time! :laugh:

LOL @ Paddock Bashing... ;)

Edited by K9Pro

I found Indi had no enthusiasm in our regular one hour weekly classes (paddock bashing I think they call it :) ) after the first 10 minutes.

I had the same problem with Daisy, although I would be lucky to be able to get focus out of her for ten minutes anywhere. Now we can work on and off for an hour or so and she is STILL keen to work after!

K9: lol I knew that was coming...

Rumour has it that there is a super video of Indi working in drive against very high distraction... :laugh:

I like the sound of this rumour :cool:

So glad to hear you are enjoying it!

You know we need to see some videos now don't you?? ;)

I have a couple of clips on Youtube but I'm going red :D just thinking about posting them here - in fact I've taken the worst of my "crazy lady" :cool: impersonation's off (I told Steve I was going to enter them in Funniest Home Video's :) ).

I'm happy to send PM of my Youtube channel if anyone wants to see Indi in action

@ Steve - "that one" I'm happy to leave there, but you have to admit there's some scary originals that should never be seen again :laugh:

I have a couple of clips on Youtube but I'm going red :o just thinking about posting them here - in fact I've taken the worst of my "crazy lady" :o impersonation's off (I told Steve I was going to enter them in Funniest Home Video's :) ).

K9: lol and we can share the winnings!

I'm happy to send PM of my Youtube channel if anyone wants to see Indi in action

Steve - "that one" I'm happy to leave there, but you have to admit there's some scary originals that should never be seen again :p

K9: Well the one where Indi has two dogs trying to distract her and your son calling her is GOLD given the ashort time you have been training,

I would not be red faced but proud as punch at that one! It Rocks! :):laugh: :cool: :D ;)

huski wrote: I had the same problem with Daisy, although I would be lucky to be able to get focus out of her for ten minutes anywhere. Now we can work on and off for an hour or so and she is STILL keen to work after!

I never understood in training for even 30 minutes of paddock bashing (all classes I have ever attended here were only 30 minutes). Even with dogs who don't have focus issues the stamina on both parts (dog and handler) to keep on task for that length of time in one stretch isn't for the faint hearted. Never mind an hours worth.

I thought I'd do puppy classes (not baby puppy classes but classes run by the local obedience club) with my youngest because I thought it might be a good idea. Hmmmm we lasted 1 class before my enthusiasm vanished. To much standing around time and while the dog was fine (her version of heeling was at that stage lets hang off the end a tug toy while we walk around in a circle :laugh: ) I didn't think there was anything to be gained by even spending small amounts of time in "class".

So I just ended up taking her each week and training her in between working my older dog through the trial ring.

So its not just keeping the dogs attention in an hour class that is an issue but also the handler.

And gsdog2 I just went off and had a look at your youtube clips and they weren't bad at all - in fact they were pretty impressive :) .