K9 Pro Training In Drive

I am training with a competition focus - still wondering how an IPO club would be able to help me??

Club training is not for everyone and not everyone has access to a good club.

Huski you'd be the "pet and basic OB" that yesmaam is talking about :rofl: Obviously all that counts in the dog world is IPO.

Never mind asking what level you might have got to and how far you might have come. :)

Nor actually having any knowledge of what the TID course might involve not having done it.

So we have someone who has no knowledge of the course stating that "we" know better without even identifying who we is and giving any proof that they have reached any level at all in training in drive.

I actually thought at the beginning the OP asked whether anyone had "done" the course and could give their opinion.

I also remember from previous posts not a few people who did attend clubs but were not getting the level of drive out of their dog (Shoemonster being one of them) but did the TID course with very good results to build drive and confidence.

As someone stated in a previous post getting an already high drive dog to work in drive is not that hard, but getting drive out of a dog with high thresholds to drive who might previously have been labelled a failure is something we have proof of (through people posting their experiences) of people who have actually done K9's TID course.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am training with a competition focus - still wondering how an IPO club would be able to help me??

Club training is not for everyone and not everyone has access to a good club.

Huski you'd be the "pet and basic OB" that yesmaam is talking about :rofl: Obviously all that counts in the dog world is IPO.

Never mind asking what level you might have got to and how far you might have come. :)

Nor actually having any knowledge of what the TID course might involve not having done it.

So we have someone who has no knowledge of the course stating that "we" know better without even identifying who we is and giving any proof that they have reached any level at all in training in drive.

I actually thought at the beginning the OP asked whether anyone had "done" the course and could give their opinion.

I also remember from previous posts not a few people who did attend clubs but were not getting the level of drive out of their dog (Shoemonster being one of them) but did the TID course with very good results to build drive and confidence.

As someone stated in a previous post getting an already high drive dog to work in drive is not that hard, but getting drive out of a dog with high thresholds to drive who might previously have been labelled a failure is something we have proof of (through people posting their experiences) of people who have actually done K9's TID course.

spot on!!! i really do not like people who are ignorant of the course on offer but are quite happy to tell us all how we don't need it!!!

i think yessmaam may be really young. i for one know that after a few years under my belt i understood that I didn't know everything (sad but true!) and that i could learn from others. with dog training we need to look into everything and keep an open mind if we are going to do the best for our dogs.

Funnily enough everyone I know who has titles doesn't train at a club and doesn't recommend it either. Many people I have spoken to say that clubs are for pet owners (too much distraction, not enough flexibility with methods etc).

The club I used to train at only taught luring, for example. No one was ever encouraged to tug with the dog - it was pot luck who your trainer was.

Mostly as a consequence of the way clubs train even dogs with drive end up switched off. I certainly know that to be the case with a number of dogs who have come up through classes at different clubs. Lots of people on subsequent dogs use clubs to provide distractions but won't necessarily train in a class environment.

The biggest killer of drive is the class length and amount of down time. Nothing worse then half an hour block heeling around in a circle with a 6/7 month old and watch even the most driven dogs start to lose drive.

Clubs in a strict sense are the last place I think you would find a lot of top level competition dogs.

My youngster attended 1 puppy class at club but to her it was one big tug session :) . The rest of the time she has come along and been worked around the club environment but in small chunks where she was giving me 110%.

I can see the fallout of training in a class environment with my older one who by the time she reached there trialling class (she passed 1 grade a month) she was laggy and unmotivated and it took me ages to get her to the point where she could go in a ring. There is still fallout from that 3/4/5/6/7 years later.

i took my dog to a club to train and it was woeful. she could do all of stage 1 before we got there but we had to stay in that class for four weeks, same for stage 2. when we got to stage 3 the instructor was not very keen to use different methods to recall the dog so we didn't go any more because the dog was bored and restless.

i did think it was good for distraction training but i am not so sure about that now.

Mostly as a consequence of the way clubs train even dogs with drive end up switched off. I certainly know that to be the case with a number of dogs who have come up through classes at different clubs. Lots of people on subsequent dogs use clubs to provide distractions but won't necessarily train in a class environment.

The biggest killer of drive is the class length and amount of down time. Nothing worse then half an hour block heeling around in a circle with a 6/7 month old and watch even the most driven dogs start to lose drive.

I completely agree. While we don't have a 'club' as such where I am, Mica did not do well in a class environment. She got bored VERY quickly and turned her attention to trying to raz up other dogs. She learned things very fast, but hated the length and repetition of classes.

I'm sure not every club is like that, but that is my experience and the only opportunity available to me other than Steves program (other than a 2 hour drive each way). I for one am grateful that he does offer the program as we would be pretty lost by now without it.

We may use the classes later on down the track as ness said, using it as distraction training around the outside of the actual class.

I've just started taking Daisy back to obedience club for some distraction training (and to work on my handling skills) and it's ok as long as I make sure I don't follow an entire class.

We generally do our own thing and it's a great opportunity to work on distraction training, stays etc.

Staranais, I looked at the IPO Rules and it said, "Only registered dogs from recognized AUSC working dog breeds are allowed to participate". ?

Like I said, I think different organisations may differ on what's allowed. But I've watched a trial run by Dogsport NZ, affiliated to AUSC, where there was a mixed breed labrador type dog competing in OB, so it's definitely allowed by some organisations. :p

My guess is that the mixed breed lab you are referring to was probably only doing a BH (similar to a companion dog test). I think any breed can do a BH

Actually, I've just looked up the trial results online to refresh my memory, and the dog already had its OB2, and was going to sit for OB3 that day but was scratched on the day. It was the winter 08 trial, if you doubt me and want to look it up yourself on the NZ Dogsports website.

I completely agree. While we don't have a 'club' as such where I am, Mica did not do well in a class environment. She got bored VERY quickly and turned her attention to trying to raz up other dogs. She learned things very fast, but hated the length and repetition of classes.

I'm sure not every club is like that, but that is my experience and the only opportunity available to me other than Steves program (other than a 2 hour drive each way). I for one am grateful that he does offer the program as we would be pretty lost by now without it.

We may use the classes later on down the track as ness said, using it as distraction training around the outside of the actual class.

I'm with you laeral. Country town, nearest city is a 350km drive, and I have a dog that did terribly with repetative group obedience classes.

Having someone who is will to tailor a program to my dogs induvidual needs and guide me through it step by step is a Godsend :p

:vomit::flame::rofl: thank you, thank you, thank you Quickasyoucan. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I've done the research and feel the K9 Force TID course is what I'm looking for - what I wanted to know is other DOLer's opinions. I do intend trialling my GSD and feel Steve's course is going to give me the direction I will need to have a dog that is going to enjoy trialling and want to train (not just go through the motions) This might not be the course for everyone but for me to understand TID properly I'm interested in this course because (after receiving the first module today :cheer: ) it explains the fundamentals of prey drive step-by-step - I'm not sure an IPO club would explain in the same "detail".

Yep, I think so to. How is Kei going Secretkei?

Hope your still enjoying your training.

Mica and I have had to go back a step, seems I got a little carried away and moved ahead a little to fast :cheer:

Hi Laeral :flame: He he, we are having our up's and downs too. Unfortunately in our case the problem lies more with the handler and her terrible training skills than the dog :rofl::vomit:

Thanks for the words of encouragement Huski :rofl:

BTW congratulations gsdog2 on signing up for the program. :laugh:

Are you using prey/food drive?

Keep us updated on how you are going.

Thanks laera - we're going to use prey drive :laugh:

I will keep you updated, and any video's you guys haven't shown yet - I'd love to see as I need all the help I can get :laugh:

I'm another one who stopped training at a club and consequently had to go right back to basics and train my dog to have fun and focus in his obedience work. I could never put him through those long boring classes again. I may be taking him back to the club this year but no classes just distraction training outside of class.

:( SecretKei I don't think your handling is bad so don't knock yourself. I am sure you will get there you seem very dedicated in your approach ;) .

Yep, but only cos I'm so bloody stubborn that I refuse to give up ;)

I wouldn't be getting anywhere with Daisy if I weren't so stubborn! :mad Dammit, beagles can do it just as well as any other dog, and I WILL prove it :(

Edited by huski

I think you look good secretkai. :mad

I remember back to my first training session. I thought this will be good, no worries, Ive played tug with the dog before nothing to it.

I produced the orbee, dog launched like maniac. Me, completely unprepared for the 'enthusiasm' shown by Mica moved backwards in a rush only to trip over a stick on the ground. I ended up flat on my back with a 34 kg dog who decided I must have wanted to play stacks on, on top of me trying desperately to get the orbee. I was laughing so hard I couldnt get Mica off me to get up :(

and yes I am glad i didnt have the video set up for that one!

I think the most embarrasing thing though, is I think I tripped over the day after too when I stepped in a hole. I learned to check my ground thouroughly before commencing training, even a tiny stick could end in disaster. :(

I felt pretty awkward when I fisrt started the training but with practice you do get better and more coordinated. keep at it!

Edited by laeral