Do Greyhounds Have Thin Skin?

Kirty

Pia's skin seems very thin compared to my other dogs. Is that just her or is it normal for the breed? When you look at her belly, the skin seems very thin. And she has just showed me a graze on the inside of her leg (nothing serious, just a scrape) that she has obviously gotten while hooning around the yard. None of my dogs have ever had scrapes or grazes! LOL!

ETA: Never mind, just found something online that said they do. ;)

Edited by Kirty

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pia's skin seems very thin compared to my other dogs. Is that just her or is it normal for the breed? When you look at her belly, the skin seems very thin. And she has just showed me a graze on the inside of her leg (nothing serious, just a scrape) that she has obviously gotten while hooning around the yard. None of my dogs have ever had scrapes or grazes! LOL!

ETA: Never mind, just found something online that said they do. ;)

yep - skin like a "wet tissue"

Thanks for that. ;) She seems to have a very low pain threshold too (ie. she is a wuss!). She has convinced me several times now that she has broken her leg - only to find a small piece of bark between her toes or a prickle in her foot... But oh my god I love her. :)

Thanks for that. ;) She seems to have a very low pain threshold too (ie. she is a wuss!). She has convinced me several times now that she has broken her leg - only to find a small piece of bark between her toes or a prickle in her foot... But oh my god I love her. :)

If they SCREAM - it usually means nothing - I think they actually scream because they get a fright.

If they are truly injured or sick, they tend to be very stoic and it's hard to tell. Foster Phoebe is a screamer - she will squeal if you try to cut her nails, she is recovering from a shattered stopper bone, and I have been there when the vet has removed the plaster which is quite hard to do, and she was so very good!

Just about anything that would break our skin will break a greyhound's skin. That isn't really a problem until you consider that the speeds greyhounds can do. Hitting a sharp stick or a piece of barbed wire at 60 km/h is going to cause some damage. People with greyhounds need to be on the lookout for things around their property that can hurt their dog.

It is normal for greyhounds to get a lot of minor grazes when learning to use stairs.

She has convinced me several times now that she has broken her leg

Yep know what you mean - the scream, floppy looking leg and shaking, just to have them trotting around without a limp in 20 minutes!

I have been told Whippet skin is just like Greyhound skin, we haven't had tears as yet, but grazes and bruises that are easy to see on pink skin.

LOL at the screaming... brings back memories of when we first got our Jenny girl (now at the bridge)... touched her ears once (and i mean brushed past) and she let out the most awful scream!! ears were a no go zone after that...

When we got Jenny she had a small graze on her muzzle where she put her nose through a gap in the fence a little too enthusiastically... it healed but never disappeared.

Thanks for that. ;) She seems to have a very low pain threshold too (ie. she is a wuss!). She has convinced me several times now that she has broken her leg - only to find a small piece of bark between her toes or a prickle in her foot... But oh my god I love her. :D

If they SCREAM - it usually means nothing - I think they actually scream because they get a fright.

If they are truly injured or sick, they tend to be very stoic and it's hard to tell. Foster Phoebe is a screamer - she will squeal if you try to cut her nails, she is recovering from a shattered stopper bone, and I have been there when the vet has removed the plaster which is quite hard to do, and she was so very good!

:D ;) Yep!!! Ask Rebanne to show you some photos of Piper her greyhound. He literally de-gloved himself, his entire chest, on the clothes-line windy thing (which is why Bart is NEVER allowed to do zoomies in the front yard). Apparently he didn't make a sound.

In the first 2 years of his life Bart cost us a fortune in cuts - in the end the vet showed me how to superglue his wounds and that is what we've done ever since :D :)

Thanks for that. ;) She seems to have a very low pain threshold too (ie. she is a wuss!). She has convinced me several times now that she has broken her leg - only to find a small piece of bark between her toes or a prickle in her foot... But oh my god I love her. :D

:D ;) Yep!!! Ask Rebanne to show you some photos of Piper her greyhound. He literally de-gloved himself, his entire chest, on the clothes-line windy thing (which is why Bart is NEVER allowed to do zoomies in the front yard). Apparently he didn't make a sound.

In the first 2 years of his life Bart cost us a fortune in cuts - in the end the vet showed me how to superglue his wounds and that is what we've done ever since :D :)

Yes - superglue is on top of the 1st aid box, and the first thing packed into the car when we go away!

Haha, well that's good to know. I don't know what she has grazed herself on, our yard is pretty clear.

don't worry Kirty - just make sure anything bigger than a scratch is washed in salty water - she'll be fine.

they heal very quickly.

Super-glue was developed, in the first place, to glue tissue together for use in human and animal surgery.

I make balsa-wood model aeroplanes and it is very good for glueing them.. even better for glueing fingers together....

Guess how I know this.......

Dave

Superglue is a wonderful thing. I actually build plastic aircraft models jacobite & it's a very useful gap filler as well as adhesive. & yep, nothings better for sticking fingers to anything you don;t want your fingers stuck to. I also use it on myself when I forget that I should only use safety scissors.

The problem with using super glue is that some brands (generally the really cheap ones) can cause skin irritation due to their makeup/ additives so just keep an eye out after you use it.

From wikepedia (the source of all truth and knowledge)

Superglue was in veterinarian use for mending bone, hide, and tortoise shell by at least the early 1970s. The inventor of cyanoacrylates, Harry Coover, said in 1966 that a superglue spray was used in the Vietnam War to retard bleeding in wounded soldiers until they could be brought to a hospital. As it can irritate the skin, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration did not approve superglue's civilian medical use until 1998 when a variant called 2-octyl-cyanoacrylate was developed.[citation needed]

Some glues are 100% ethyl cyanoacrylate,[citation needed] but other glues may be have a mixed composition (e.g., 91% ECA, 9% poly(methyl methacrylate), <0.5% hydroquinone, and a small amount of organic sulfonic acid).[2]

Due to the toxicity issues of ethyl cyanoacrylate, the use of 2-octyl cyanoacrylate for sutures is preferred.

Yep - can vouch for Superglue. Has to be the brand name stuff. I am highly highly allergic to stitches - so have regularly glued myself back together.

As mentioned, always leave a drain hole at the bottom. Good for tears and holes on pets that you have irrigated and are sure no foreign bodies left in there.

If in doubt - see your vet - you don't want to be sealing grass seeds, splinters or dirt in there.

Re Greyhounds - yes - paper thin. Will scream like a possessed banshee at nothing, but not even whimper at the most severe injuries.

Also beware the bleeding. My first experience with this was a cut to our first girls ear. Dear DOG - they bleed like ruptured water bed bladders. Blood everywhere. The smallest cut - will have you thinking there has been a massacre in the room. Stypic powder (not sure if spelt correctly) is a god send.

Another super first aid product is Cetrigen. Normally used for horses, but is a BRIGHT Purple spray which is both antiseptic and antibacterial and pest repellant. Fantastic stuff. Dries the wound quickly and keeps it from getting infected. Also keeps the flies off. Great stuff.

Does sting like a b$tch though - so be quick. I have a high pain threshold and whilst it stings, I didn't give it much thought. Used it on hubby the other day, poor mans knees buckled and he went deathly white..............oooooppppppps :cheer:

Colliehound

Touch wood we have never had a major graze, injury or skin-split yet - however it is bound to happen. Little nicks around the feet and legs is common here though.

We have had the greyhound/iggy scream of death before - its not nice, but like others have said, it only happens when they have a fright. The amount of noise that can come from a teeny tiny iggy is amazing :cheer:

Completely agree with everything said here.

Lilly screams when I clip her nails. :eek:

But when she really hurts herself, like the time she was zooming around the yard in Cairns and badly scraped her hind feet on concrete, she just stands in one spot, blood oozing out of her! :cheer:

Have you also noticed the see-through hind legs?