Lenses For Canon Camera - Best Placed To Buy?

PuddleDuck

Hey Guys,

OH who is the photogger in the family wants to get a macro lens for his camera, its a canon EOS Digital SLR. Any suggestions on where to buy? I'm happy to order it from overseas if it saves us money, or buy second hand!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!

B&H, Adorama, Buydig.com, Canoga Cameras and www.sigma4less.com (often has Canon lenses) are all US retailers I've used with no problems. I've always found that the US retailers pound the Aussies into the ground on cost, even after shipping. I have not checked in the past few months so don't know if the stronger dollar has helped things.

Lenses (Canon) have international warranties.

For macro there are two excellent choices (there are more but these are good starting points):

Canon 60 macro - omg, this is a fabulous lens. The only downside on it is that it's minimum focus distance is CLOSE so you can scare bugs and stuff away if you're trying to get 1:1 Upside: small, sharp, great for portraits, fast fast focus

Canon 100 macro - now there are two options...one with IS and one without (the older version). Both freakin ROCK. The new one is more expensive. Is it worth it...maybe. If you have the cash, go for it. I won't be upgrading my existing and I'd be thinking hard about spending the extra cash since I know how fantastic the original version is. Downsides to each of these: heavy & big. Upside: you get a little more working room so don't scare the critters away.

btw www.pricegrabber.com is pretty good for US based sites comparison shopping :laugh:

I believe there is an "instant rebate" available on the 60mm macro in the US now - which is automatic so no forms to send in and is applied before you purchase :welcome:

Edited by kja

I went into Diamonds Camera's here in Adelaide last week as I wanted to get a price for the 100mm 2.8 macro. He only had one left and said that they were being replaced by the L series 100mm 2.8 macro. So Im probably going to buy online next week on my pay day. I was thinking from here:

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/

$735 from there, $660 from DWI http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/...sp?idProduct=30

Plus postage of course. I would recommend getting a filter straight away too. I put mine on from day 1

Those are both pretty good prices - B&H (not usually the cheapest but good to work with) has it for about $670AUD plus shipping. Remember these prices are for the original NOT the newer L version.

The original rocks - the L version has some nice things going for it, but at roughly $1175AUD for me I wouldn't spend the extra :laugh: Do a little research if you're tempted by the new version to make sure you make the right choice.

Beach Camera and Buydig.com both have the 100s for a good chunk less than B&H, so it definitely pays to shop around.

Are DWI good? They are certainly cheap

I haven't bought from them but AnnieK has.

I have too and they are awesome....

D-D-Electronics are also very very cheap with fantastic service if your purchase is under $1000 but they then add tax above that. They are the same as DD-Photographics and slightly cheaper :)

3 day delivery of lenses and flash units from Sydney :)

DWI will be getting my money for the D300S with battery grip and Mack warranty soon :rofl:

I went into Diamonds Camera's here in Adelaide last week as I wanted to get a price for the 100mm 2.8 macro. He only had one left and said that they were being replaced by the L series 100mm 2.8 macro. So Im probably going to buy online next week on my pay day. I was thinking from here:

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/

BTW - as far as I know this is NOT true and I personally wouldn't buy from a company giving out unconfirmed and most likely inaccurate information.

I'm double checking in a thread over on POTN coz there are lots of ppl over there who keep an eye on these things, but I was pretty sure that when Canon announced the new L version, the old version wasn't announced as being discontinued.

Yep, I knew it. Went and bought some form of macro lens today...ended up going to HN due to them having a interest free deal on and us needing some other stuff there!

OH is now a DOLer, "photogger" (thats what I always call him :laugh: ) so I expect he'll be hanging around in this section soon enough.

Thanks again for your help! :thumbsup: