Medium- Large Breeds Not Prone To Hd

teekay

I wonder if someone could help me.

I will shortly be looking for a companion for my golden retriever x and given her possible history of HD we want to try and avoid this problem this time round. I will be looking at a rescue or a pure breed from a reputable breeder but I know all the tests still do not mean a puppy will be safe from HD. We had a labrador who came from a registered breeder, parents had great hip scores but she still developed hip problems.

Are there any medium - large breeds that do not tend to get HD.

Thanks for any help

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know that there are ANY large/medium breeds that could be said to be 100% free of HD. All you can do is look at the parents and any siblings, where possible. For this reason I would be looking at a pure-bred from a reputable breeder, preferably one that has both parents and can refer you to buyers of puppies from previous litters.

Ten or so years ago I could have confidently recommended a Standard Poodle but, sadly, over-breeding and in-breeding has led to HD being common in Standard Poodles.

Edited by poodlemum

Greyhounds don't tend to get HD at all.

The Greyhound Adoption Program screen the dogs properly and match families with a dog that will suit. Not only would you be helping a dog find a home, but you would be getting a registered purebred dog.

GAP QLD

Snap, was about to say the very same thing. :mad

Greyhounds don't tend to get HD at all.

The Greyhound Adoption Program screen the dogs properly and match families with a dog that will suit. Not only would you be helping a dog find a home, but you would be getting a registered purebred dog.

GAP QLD

Snap, was about to say the very same thing. :rofl:

me too :mad but they can carry old injuries and get arthritis which can happen to any breed of dog. If you really want a pup there are a couple of listings for greyhound pups at the moment but those GAP greys are pretty special :mad

Hey, also what about Standard Poodles. I have one, but have never really been into the breed much, so I don't really know.... do they commonly suffer with HD. I would have thought not??? But I could be very wrong???

Sorry Poodlemum, missed your post. That's a damned shame isn't it?! My 11 year old, though I have never had her xrayed, has never had any dramas in that area :mad

Edited by dyzney

Hey, also what about Standard Poodles. I have one, but have never really been into the breed much, so I don't really know.... do they commonly suffer with HD. I would have thought not??? But I could be very wrong???

Sorry Poodlemum, missed your post. That's a damned shame isn't it?! My 11 year old, though I have never had her xrayed, has never had any dramas in that area :mad

I know - they used to be really strong, healthy dogs! Thank Dog, in 30 years of owning Standards I've never seen a case in any of mine - they all go back to old-fashioned New Zealand & English lines.

Edited by poodlemum

I know - they used to be really strong, healthy dogs! Thank Dog, in 30 years of owning Standards I've never seen a case in any of mine - they all go back to old-fashioned New Zealand & English lines.

Well, that's good news Poodlemum. And thanks for the info on the good old lines.

To be honest I have no idea about the origin of my girls' lines. When I purchased her I had no interest in showing or lineage etc, I was more into obedience and agility at the time, and Rose was my first and last Standard. Different now, I am moe into Pedigrees, but not into Standards as such. Rose's prefix is Fenelton, and I don't know anything about her Pedigree. But it is not an issue, as she has never had any real problems as such, no serious genetic ones anyway. All good. ;)

sorry to stray OT.

Thanks for the replies Guys. I can honestly say i had never considered a greyhound, not surewhy really, they are impressive dogs, I've just always had 'cuddlier' dogs. Do they still have to wear muzzles in public?

Love the idea of an Aussie Shepherd very similar in size to my GRx and beautiful looking dogs.

Will look into Koolies as I know very little about them.

I like Pointers too, mmm lots to think about and research.

Thanks again, there's always so much information on here. It's great

Since July 2009 there has been an exemption on muzzling for approved dogs. :mad So you wouldn't have to put a muzzle on a GAP greyhound. Some of them can be extremely cuddly, it just depends on the individual. You could be matched with a greyhound that has a personality that suits you.

Since July 2009 there has been an exemption on muzzling for approved dogs. :mad So you wouldn't have to put a muzzle on a GAP greyhound. Some of them can be extremely cuddly, it just depends on the individual. You could be matched with a greyhound that has a personality that suits you.

I am also considering a GAP greyhound for a companion for Shyla! How do they do at being left home alone 2 or 3 days a week with another dog for company, are they OK considering they are so affectionate and human oriented?

Since July 2009 there has been an exemption on muzzling for approved dogs. ;) So you wouldn't have to put a muzzle on a GAP greyhound. Some of them can be extremely cuddly, it just depends on the individual. You could be matched with a greyhound that has a personality that suits you.

Thanks for that. I will definitely put them on my consider list. We won't be getting another dog till about the middle of next year so i will do my research :mad

I am also considering a GAP greyhound for a companion for Shyla! How do they do at being left home alone 2 or 3 days a week with another dog for company, are they OK considering they are so affectionate and human oriented?

Most are very dog orientated as they are usually kenneled with other dogs. Most do well staying at home while their people are at work. Again, reputable greyhound adoption places, match the dog to the people and lifestyle. Check out the greyhounds in the breed 101 forum