Heelwork In Drive

Wow, I have started to do some heelwork with Shyla in drive with her Frisbee (which she goes nuts for) and WOW is all I can say, she heels with so much focus and high stepping strides it's amazing :rofl: Compared to just using food where she is bored and only looks up occasionally, the difference is amazing.

BUT.. the issue I have is she doesn't give back her frisbee/ball at the moment, we usually have to distract her and snatch the item. So using these items to get her working in drive works well BUT cos it's an effort to get the item back, we don't get much done! :laugh:

Also how would I get her to heel the same way in class where I won't be using the item that puts her in drive? Over time will her heelwork in general just get heaps better even without the Frisbee?

Wow, I have started to do some heelwork with Shyla in drive with her Frisbee (which she goes nuts for) and WOW is all I can say, she heels with so much focus and high stepping strides it's amazing :rofl: Compared to just using food where she is bored and only looks up occasionally, the difference is amazing.

It's pretty awesome isn't it??

Sounds like Shyla has a higher prey drive than food drive :o

BUT.. the issue I have is she doesn't give back her frisbee/ball at the moment, we usually have to distract her and snatch the item. So using these items to get her working in drive works well BUT cos it's an effort to get the item back, we don't get much done! :laugh:

One of the first things I would teach a prey driven dog is to release an item on command, if you get the technique right it's quite easy to do and they pick it up really quickly. Daisy learnt really quickly to release the tug when she realised that we'd start the game again as soon as she released it.

Also how would I get her to heel the same way in class where I won't be using the item that puts her in drive? Over time will her heelwork in general just get heaps better even without the Frisbee?

I don't actually take Daisy to obedience club anymore; at least not to do the big hour long lessons. When we first started building her drive I would keep sessions between 1-3 minutes max.

If you want to learn how to train in drive the best thing you can do is find a reputable trainer to help you build it properly so you have a good foundation to work on. Part of this is teaching the dog to go into drive on a cue word. IMO you won't get that great heelwork you see when you have her working in drive normally, or over time, without using that drive to your advantage.

train about her letting go

giver her a toy, hang onto it then offer her another when she's playing saying OUT

when she releases give her the other. The trick is to show her that she is not losing the toy permanently but will get it again. Soon you will have super fast outs, I taught my dogs like this and it really works with little effort.

Like Husky, once I started drive work, I stopped doing classes, they are too repetitive for the dogs, but I did sometimes do his drive work at the club up the back while other classes were on for distration

Apart from stays your obedience is a solo exercise so no real need to be involved in a class with other dogs

And yep need a drive cue, and build up a good release,

The way I taught my dog to release was to make the item "go dead". Just hold onto it tight using your legs for assistance, and dont move it, and wait the dog out. As soon as he releases, mark, then immediatly restart the game. Add the out command either before or after.

Get him used to the idea that the release is the key to start all of the fun, and you will soon find he will be almost spitting it at you upon hearing the out command.

You will be working in drive when you have control of it, and also be able to switch it on and off. Takes alot of work to get it to that stage, but it sounds like you are heading in the right direction :laugh: