Wildlife Photographer Of The Year Exhibit

PuddleDuck

Hey All,

Apologies if this has already been posted, there was an ad in New Scientist this week about the "wildlife photographer of the year" exhibit which opened Christmas Eve at the Australian Museum in Sydney. I'm not sure how long it goes for or anything but looks really good! They also apparently have a "my camera studio" there, where you can take your own camera and learn some tips and tricks too. We'll be going, but not sure when. Thought some others in here might be interested as well.

Merry Christmas all!

Here's the link to it. There is another thread here somewhere about the winning shot of the wolf, and there is a little (or a lot) of reasonable controversy about how fair it is relative to the rules.

http://australianmuseum.net.au/event/wildl...her-of-the-year

It would be great to see, be nice if it comes down to Melbourne, don't know if that is planned. Let's know what you think of it after you've been PD.

I went and saw the last one this year in late March. If you work in the CBD, you can pop over there during your lunch hour and it's free. You can look at the winning photos as close up as you like. I remember the underwater category winner last year was a diver and a blue whale facing each other and it was blown up to almost billboard size.

Re the wolf shot, it's an amazing capture but again, the photographer wasn't there, just like last year's winner of the snow leopard. Maybe that's why the controversy again?

Hey Guys,

We ended up going - it was quite good! Some lovely photos there. In saying that, you do have to pay entry (not sure if it was different last year but this year you have to pay a "top up" on top of the normal entry fee), it was a bit over $30 for both of us and I'm a student so its a discounted entry for me! We didn't end up doing much in the "workshop", just looking, because it was so crowded there.

Stunning photography. Regardless of the controversy, I loved the winning pic. Really makes you realise though that some people probably spend days/weeks waiting for that perfect shot!

• 2 weeks later...

I went to this yesterday as I work in the city (it's quiet at work so had the time). Cost was $17 entry. It was bigger than last year's. Agree, there were some amazing photos. I like reading the story on how they were taken - camping out in a hide for over a week in Finland during the middle of winter is dedication for you! So manyt the photos involved that kind of thing, but there was a lovely one of a sole tulip taken in France that some bloke snapped on his afternoon walk. There was even one there taken with a 10D - proof that you don't have to have the latest DSLR. Most of the wildlife shots were taken with a 1D or Nikon though. A few film ones too, especially in the b/w category. Stunning b/w film shot of a male lion's head, all grainy and it really made me linger over it. One thing I noticed on close examination is the photos aren't all super sharp. In focus of course, but they state on their rules that sharpness is not everything.

The wolf shot was pretty amazing and looked like a painting.

I bought the mini booklet which was about $15 of all the images.

This was the lion one I really liked (a film shot).

all the pics are here:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/whats-on/tem...y=2&group=1

post-485-1263011975_thumb.jpg