K9 Tot "yes" Command

Hi all, been reading through K9's thread on the TOT (triangle of temptation) and just wondering if owners here have used other words besides "yes" with success. Im about to try training her on the tie back, however Nala is used to the words "good girl"

Would this be just as effective, or should i switch to yes? :laugh:

Hi all, been reading through K9's thread on the TOT (triangle of temptation) and just wondering if owners here have used other words besides "yes" with success. Im about to try training her on the tie back, however Nala is used to the words "good girl"

Would this be just as effective, or should i switch to yes? :laugh:

I say "OK yes" but I think OK has turned into the golden word a little bit...

Any word would work I think, you could say "fuzz" but if it was consistent they'd get it

I'd stick clear of good girl, since that is already being used in other settings... but thats just personal opinion

Edited by Pete.the.dog

oh ok thanks.

so does this then make sense...?

"YES" = Acknowledgement that Nala looked to me in the training of TOT & Any other time Nala looks at me for drive fulfillment

"Good Girl" = When Nala performs command asked of her, like sit, stay, come.

Edited by Azzachazza

I use OK as a release word (release to food in ToT, release from crate, release from stay, release from wait, etc. - can be release to food or toy for these things), and 'good girl' and/or a clicker as a marker when she does the right thing at other times (e.g. sit, drop, shake, roll over).

K9: The marker or bridge is can be any word really, can be yes, good, wow etc. Then there must also be a release such as ok, yep, free yeah!

You can use any word really, I wrote the program with yes, no & ok, common easy words but you can use any consistent change.

K9: The marker or bridge is can be any word really, can be yes, good, wow etc. Then there must also be a release such as ok, yep, free yeah!

You can use any word really, I wrote the program with yes, no & ok, common easy words but you can use any consistent change.

Hi K9, i understand that consistency of a specific word, whatever that word may be is important. However i feel that i am doubling-up by teaching her both "yes" AND "good girl." Does one negate the other? For example;

whenever she does what is ASKED of her i say "Good Girl"

In the TOT training however when she looks to me, I say "Yes"

My question then is should i be saying "good girl," when she looks at me in the TOT training? The reason being she is already familiar with "good girl," as meaning she has done something that is required of her. Or should i keep two separate words. That is, in her mind is she supposed to understand each phrase, "good girl" and "Yes"to mean something different?

Edited by Azzachazza

Hi K9, i understand that consistency of a specific word, whatever that word may be is important. However i feel that i am doubling-up by teaching her both "yes" AND "good girl." Does one negate the other? For example;

whenever she does what is ASKED of her i say "Good Girl"

In the TOT training however when she looks to me, I say "Yes"

K9: You should just use one, being either good girl or yes, not both and the mention of good girl must teach her to maintain the behaviour (keep doing what your doing) and not terminate the behaviour (release her).

My question then is should i be saying "good girl," when she looks at me in the TOT training?

K9: Yes

The reason being she is already familiar with "good girl," as meaning she has done something that is required of her. Or should i keep two separate words. That is, in her mind is she supposed to understand each phrase, "good girl" and "Yes"to mean something different?

K9: good girl or yes can be the marker, then you need a release command, such as ok, free etc

Thanks K9 and everyone else :laugh: That makes sense to me now.

One more thing, you say that with "good girl," she should sustain the behaviour. Is the behaviour im trying to sustain the looking at me? or the sitting and waiting for the release command?

Also how do i sustain the required behaviour? For example would i repeat "good girl," as she is looking at me?

Thanks K9 and everyone else :laugh: That makes sense to me now.

One more thing, you say that with "good girl," she should sustain the behaviour. Is the behaviour im trying to sustain the looking at me? or the sitting and waiting for the release command?

Also how do i sustain the required behaviour? For example would i repeat "good girl," as she is looking at me?

K9: Ideally I would rather only use the marker once then build up the time until the release.

I use 'good girl' to indicate that Sash has done the right thing. She is very sensitive to 'good' and 'naughty' words - and seems to know exactly what I mean, so we use those.

I also use 'GO' as the substitute word for 'break'.

We've had much success with the TOT... actually it was the breakthrough exercise that finally got Sasha responding. :laugh: