Compressing Pics

mrs tornsocks

Apologies if this has been done before.

I have a new DSLR and I'm lucky enough to be testing it out in New York City where I'm on hols.

I have it set to a pretty high res, so each pic is 4mb or so ... which I want while I'm learning so I can get a true idea of what my pics look like.

I upload them to my work laptop currently (one day I will put them all on my mac) ... but does anyone have a quick and easy way to compress them ? If I zip them, it hardly reduces.

Currently I'm uploading to photobucket but that is quite time consuming too.

thanks guys ...

If you want to do it in photoshop go to Tools > Photoshop > Image processor, this will open up the image processor window.

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/photoshop-...cript-menus.jpg

Select the folder where your images are located that you want to resize.

Select where you wish to save the resized images.

Select save as jpg and quality 7 is usually good for web/email, and resize to fit W ??px by H ??px. if you are saving for web around 700px is good.

Then hit run and it will resize all the images in the specified folder. :thumbsup:

BTW I see in the other thread you are in New York. Check out B&H's shop front <drool> for new gear purchases. They are a highly reputable company, have very knowledgeable staff and competitive prices. Check their store hours as they differ from most retailers.

BTW - I'd recommend that you download Lightroom at the same time. I find resizing in Lightroom to be faster (in fact, I do about 95% of everything in Lightroom and rarely go in to PS much)

Edited by kja

BTW I see in the other thread you are in New York. Check out B&H's shop front <drool> for new gear purchases. They are a highly reputable company, have very knowledgeable staff and competitive prices. Check their store hours as they differ from most retailers.

BTW - I'd recommend that you download Lightroom at the same time. I find resizing in Lightroom to be faster (in fact, I do about 95% of everything in Lightroom and rarely go in to PS much)

OH YES - B&H in NYC is an experience!!! It is like a jumbo supermarket full of camera and video gear. CAMERA NERD HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :love:

It is owned and run by Hasidic Jews so I think it is closed Saturdays (?)....

Mrs TS if you need any more PS or Lightroom tips feel free to ask. :love: They are must have programs for anyone with a dslr IMO...