Any Pointers On The Best Way To Teach A Dog...

Sash has a basic agility kit now... the tunnel is no problem, the jump is no problem... but understandably, she's stumped over the weave poles. I've tried luring her through with food (with some success but she's just chasing the food and not taking notice of what she's actually doing), and leading her through on a lead... but she just gets confused as to what's going on (which I concede is mostly my fault), she gets tangled in the weave poles and then we just give up (before I get frustrated as I want to keep it a pleasant experience).

We've had 3 training sessions of only about 10 -15 minutes... and she doesn't seem to be any closer, or even heading in the direction of understanding what is required.

So, does anyone have any pointers or techniques that might help both of us conquer the weave poles, or at least get us on the right track? :eek:

Thank you!! :D

Google the magazine Clean Run, and buy their special issue on weaving. It runs through the most common methods of training weavers, their pros and cons and has plenty of pictures etc to help you get it right.

It can be the most satisfying exercise to teach.

Will check it out - thanks!

Everything I conquer with Sash is rewarding in itself - but this is a real challenge for both of us! She may never be an agility star - but we will have fun learning together! And I'm sure it will be mentally stimulating for her, as well as a new physical challenge!

I think the weave poles are the most difficult obstacle to teach dogs - not obvious to the dog at all what is required!

There are many different ways to teach them. The important components are the entrance and the actual weaving with good speed. I think some methods teach understanding of the weaving process better than others.

I think the Clean Run Magazine should give you a good rundown of the different methods.

The methods I like the best are:

V-weaves/slanted poles

channel weaves

2 x 2

3 poles for teaching entrances

weaving requires LOTS of repetition and patience! I would do lots of short sessions (only a couple of minutes)

Edited by Kavik

I like the 3 pole method. With a dog who is operant, they can gain an understanding of weaving very quickly.

I usually only lure for a day, maybe 10 lots of 2-3 min sessions, making sure you do both sides equally. My reward point (accompanied by a clicker or verbal marker) is always level with the 3rd pole & about my knee height.

Day 2 is a couple of lures & then put your hands away & let the dog think about what is required. Although your hands are away, you are still kind of guiding them with your body language. Any successful attempts on 3 poles are rewarded. Any unsuccessful attempts are ignored. The more operant she is, the quicker she will work out what is required.

Once they can do 3 poles from any angle & at speed, I move on to 5 poles, repeat the process & then you can usually go straight to 12 as they have a full understanding.

As Sash is large, it may take her a little time to get her rhythm at speed.

Oh goodness - sounds so technical!!! Poor Sash doesn't stand a chance with a mug like me teaching her!!!

I like the barriers idea actually, it might help us - thanks... at the moment she just barges straight through them VERY messily, without a care of where they are or what they are doing... she can be tangled in weave poles - almost have them sticking up her bum and in her ears and she still keeps barging through :rofl: And I guess - seeing she is never going to be in competition and it's just for fun I could leave the barriers on if I really had to or if I had trouble taking them off.

I can angle the poles (they are not designed that way but I can angle them when I anchor them into the ground) so we will give that a go as well. They can also be assembled at only half height (when straight angled) and perhaps if I take off the top half it might be easier to guide her through without getting so tangled (both of us). Currently they are attached at equal spaces designated by a ribbon... would it be beneficial for me to move them further apart to start off with? Or would that just confuse her? I'll also cut it back to just 3 to begin with and I'm sure that will also make it easier for her to understand.

Seeing this is new to me also, I guess I'm confusing her a little with my own confusion - but we'll get there slowly. Funnily I thought she would get the weave poles quite quickly - I thought I'd have the most trouble with the tunnel (I thought her fears would play up and she'd be too scared to enter it) - but she took to the tunnel straight away and will zoom in and out of it!

Thanks very much guys - have taken it all in, and as i said this is strictly for fun right now (who knows she might surprise me!) - and we appreciate all your helpful advice for two total novices (and apparently not very sharp ones at that :crossfingers: ). Sash is really lazy too, so getting her to complete any of it at speed is a challenge in itself - Sash kinda likes to dawdle through life :rofl:

Here are some videos to demonstrate methods

channel method

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyXwInrAjK0

V or slanted poles

3 pole entry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDOtRDG6BLw

2 x 2 method

I used a combination of channel, slanted poles and 3 poles.

Not sure what I will use with the next dog, I am going to look at the 2 x 2 DVD and see what I think (there are a couple of steps near the beginning I don't understand yet). Otherwise will probably do similar to this time.

Thanks for the links Kavik - that's awesome (and derrr to me to not think of looking on youtube for ideas... :rainbowbridge: )

Thanks for all the help and advice, it's great and really helping me develop my own plan (and for me that's important otherwise I bumble around and just confuse Sasha) and it also actually helps my confidence a bit when I have a plan and direction to follow.

It's nice to be able to admit that I'm no agility expert, and come here to find really helpful info :( Makes the learning curve much more pleasurable.

After watching those and some other links, I think I might try the channel method with Sasha first, perhaps with the guides as well. From what I can see from the way she learns, it might be easier - although the 3 pole entry could do the trick too...

We'll see how we go! Actually watching dogs do it, I'm fully in awe!