Longest Lasting Bone?!

Azzachazza

Hi all :)

To my understanding, large weight bearing bones (beef leg/thigh etc) do indeed last a long time, as their size, density and hardness, make them an ideal boredom busting option. However there have been many reports of teeth being worn down over time. I personally prefer lamb shanks, but Nala seems to be finished with them (bar a few small pieces) well within half an hour.

My question to everyone is through experience, what has proven to be the bone that has lasted longest and yet been soft enough not to wear down their dog's teeth?

:laugh:

beef spine, they have to try and pick the meat out from between the bones and its not too hard.

All dogs teeth will wear with time, it's natural for it too. They points on the canines usually go first, the problem only comes when the wearing is happening too quickly and you start exposing the softer innards of the teeth, then it's off to the vet to check the teeth are not too soft or remove all hard objects and tennis balls

beef spine, they have to try and pick the meat out from between the bones and its not too hard.

All dogs teeth will wear with time, it's natural for it too. They points on the canines usually go first, the problem only comes when the wearing is happening too quickly and you start exposing the softer innards of the teeth, then it's off to the vet to check the teeth are not too soft or remove all hard objects and tennis balls

oh ok thanks for that, will try and find some beef spine and some roo tails. Interesting, i never considered beef spine. :hug:

a lot of butchers throw it straight in the bin as too many people ask for the old marrow bones :thumbsup: pigs heads are also another thing to consider, cut in half, lamb necks/spine, lamb ribcages etc

you may have to ask the butcher in advance as they usually chuck it straight into the bone bin