Getting A New Camera...

Rainy

Hi all im looking to get a DSLR camera now i know nothing about DSLR but was reccomended to get a Sony Alpha A230Y Digital SLR Camera because it is good for beginners has anyone heard of these? are they any good? can you recomend somthing else for a beginner? im also looking at getting some lessons but cant really get to a tafe or similer course as i still have one child at home, is there anyone in the shoalhaven or near by that would like to give lessons?

thanks in advance

ETA the price of the camera $568.50 is this a good price?

Edited by SBT303

Found these specs online,

•optical sensor: 10.2 MP CCD

•optical zoom: 3 x

•maximum aperture range: F/3.5-5.6

•minimum/maximum focal length: 18/55 and 55/200 millimeters

•lens type: zoom lens

•included flash type: pop-up flash

•display size: 2.7 inches

•light sensitivity: ISO 100, ISO 800, ISO 400, ISO 200, ISO auto, ISO 1600, ISO 3200

•SteadyShot INSIDE in-camera image stabilization

•Eye-Start autofocus

•up to 2.5 fps continuous shooting

•image types: JPEG, RAW

•exposure control type: Landscape, Portrait mode, Macro, Night portrait, Sports mode, Sunset

•dimensions (wxdxh): 5 x 2.7 x 3.8 inches

•weight: 15.9 ounces

what do you think?

There may be other options... can you give us some more info? :)

Who recommended this camera?

have you seen photos taken with it?

What type of camera do you now have..and why do you want to change?

What sort of photos are you wanting to produce?

What is your price range?

To get a jump start on finding some answers and to guide you to what your needs are, have a look at the Photography area here on DOL as there have been quite a few people adding a dslr to their lives over the past few months so you will find up-to-date information and lots of first hand contributions about a variety of systems.

Canon and Nikon are the dominate forces in the dslr race while Sony, Fuji and Pentax also have contenders that some find suitable.

I would recommend that you start your search by defining a couple of things as these may knock out some choices right away:

- your budget

- your goals for your photography (ie: if you are going to web share predominantly, then a compact may suit you better than a dslr; ditto if you prefer something very small, very easy and very light. if you are going to print big, don't mind a pretty steep learning curve & have the time/patience to learn, want the absolute best quality & fastest response times, don't mind having a ton of gear (you will never stop buying more lenses LOL), don't mind something bulkier then a dslr should be on the radar.)

- your interest in taking the time to get the best from a camera...the more complex the camera, the more time you're going to need to spend.

- your interest in carrying around something that weighs a few pounds and takes up a bit of room.

There are fantastic non dslr cameras out there that do a wonderful job for reasonable sized prints, web sharing and the like plus that are portable, easy to master & relatively inexpensive...they also have a smaller learning curve BUT still provide plenty of opportunity to grow and learn (like Canon's G range, for instance).

Ok guys thanks for the info :rofl: im not sure of the price range as i have no idea what cameras are worth LOL i currently have a kodak easy share DX7590, i find its good for action shots but hopeless for any thing close up or very small, my biggest problem is that now im breeding and selling fish again i cant get decent photos of them to put on the website, so my major need is somthing that can take photos of the fish from eggs till full grown. i would like to try my hand at landscape and other animals as well at some stage

so in all honesty i have no idea what to get or use lol sorry maybe i need to hire someone to educate me :confused:

Ok hears an example of what im trying to say:

this pic was taken with a camera that can do close ups

BT081009B-Fry4wk.jpg

and this is as close up as i can get with my camera

100_6536.jpg

these fish are the same size but for the life of me i cant get a decent photo LOL

i started This topic whaen they first hatched but got no reply so figured it cant be done with the camera i have

all ideas welcome as i dont know enough to figure it out on my own

Thanks guys for all your advice and help iv had a few great PM's aswell i think i have forund a normal camera that might work im trying to find someone close by that owns one so i can give it a go and hopfully purchase one :(