Vignetting

shmoo

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original is a brighter photo. To begin with I preferred the original, but I made it more extreme to show the difference and decided that maybe I like this better

4198339236_bbedb29337_o.jpg

I think a test print is in order

Edited by helen

Helen, your last one is better.

It takes a bit of practice. Subtletly is key but too sublte and the effect is lost. Your last one is just right; the dog 'pops'. :laugh: (however you have brushed back the top of the head just a wee bit too much and it has a slight halo on my monitor)

I admit I was a heavy user of the vignette when I first got light room - the novelty has worn off now though so I tend not to use it unless I really want to draw the eye.

I will eventually have a play around with this shot to blur the background but without the vignette I thought the background was kind of overpowering. I should really get onto fixing it. :)

4188871274_0fee241cac.jpg

Here the vignette is more subtle but I wasn't a huge fan of the very plain background. :laugh:

4180171819_409e4cb7ae.jpg

Not going off-topic. Does anyone watch Top Gear? The landscapes and scenery on some of the car testing segments are worth watching it for. And they can go totally overboard with the arty effects. Extremely heavy on the vignetting, I'd never noticed it before as a routine system for video clips. And as well as heavy vignetting they are extreme with whatever the movie equivalent is of a polarising UV filter for rich sky and cloud effects (as well as colour filters used a lot, pale golds and pinks).

I think everyone is a little heavy handed with vignetting at first, just because it can be done (same with saturation, sharpening, contrast, dragan, HDR) then commonsense and good taste or realising less-is-more take over. Well, sometimes.

Oval vignetting is a BAD IDEA.

*nods vigourously in agreement*

Perhaps I misunderstood what Ash and Tess mean by BAD oval vignetting. I thought they must mean that on a landscape shaped pic, if the corners are darkened it would make an oval shape. I didn't understand why they thought that was bad. You dont mean that though do you?..... or do you.

I agree with that awful white, I dont think I've noticed that here before though.

Not going off-topic. Does anyone watch Top Gear? The landscapes and scenery on some of the car testing segments are worth watching it for. And they can go totally overboard with the arty effects. Extremely heavy on the vignetting, I'd never noticed it before as a routine system for video clips. And as well as heavy vignetting they are extreme with whatever the movie equivalent is of a polarising UV filter for rich sky and cloud effects (as well as colour filters used a lot, pale golds and pinks).

I think it's more the use of filters than anything in post production. I think the camera work for Top Gear is great - it makes the show watchable :hug:

I can't help when OH is watching Top Gear thinking about which filter they've applied to get which effect. I also notice they shoot in the best conditions, being warm evening light or early morning light. I had a tutorial in a UK mag on how to give a photo of your car the "Top Gear" look in post processing, didn't try it and I have thrown it out now.

Oval vignetting is a BAD IDEA.

*nods vigourously in agreement*

Perhaps I misunderstood what Ash and Tess mean by BAD oval vignetting. I thought they must mean that on a landscape shaped pic, if the corners are darkened it would make an oval shape. I didn't understand why they thought that was bad. You dont mean that though do you?..... or do you.

I agree with that awful white, I dont think I've noticed that here before though.

Not the best eg, I just googled for a minute -

http://www.danieljamesphotography.net/images/Vignette.jpg

Re filming and effects, I absolutely love the filter or whatever they have used for this clip.

It's the Robert Carlisle Johnny Walker ad / story. (with a vignette it looks like)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnSIp76CvUI

eta: that vignette is awful, tess.

One thing I hate is tobacco grads on landscapes. So 70s but you still see them sometimes.

Edited by Ripley

However when dealing with contemporary subject - it's a DO NOT GO NEAR zone

vignette01.jpg

(the white oval vignette is a style that seems to be popular with some dog show photographers :thumbsup: )

Yuk. I think my Nana -- or her Nana - would have been a fan.

Interesting ... I work in TV and a vignette is a short form piece of programming; usually 1-2 minutes or so - you see more of them on subscription tv than the free to airs. I wonder where the name originates - in photography or literature I'm sure.