Chewing Us Out Of House And Home!

Wow MrsD, your dog and mine sound identical. Casper is very much the same. Hasnt started chewing the house as such yet thankfully. The outdoor furniture was probably the first. Great talking point when guests come over!! This dog will chew anything! He would be perfectly happy with a nice chcuk of wood or bark is his mouth as much as piece of meat.

To answer your question poodlefan, we feed him BARF. He has been on this for quite a long time after switching from Royale canine. He also gets the occassional chicken neck and every day before i leave for work i load up some kongs etc to keep him occupied for a while.

Looks like we are off to the pet store this weekend for a truckload of durable toys!

When you say "BARF", does that include a lot of raw meaty bones?

Actually my apologies he is on a product which is raw meats combine with bones etc. Cannot remember the name of it. I know it looks terrible!! We get it from a place called Big Dogs foods. It was recommended to us by a trainer. And he loves it! In addition to that he also gets chicken necks and the occassional raw bone to chew on. Question while i am at it, can we give him a cooked bone? For example if we have roast lamb and have the shank leftover, can he have that?

You've got a mouthy breed. I strongly recommend you up the amount of chewable food you give. RAW chicken wings,drumsticks and carcasses, turkey pieces, beef and lamb ribs etc (all bones raw) will provide a channel for this urge.

My personal theory is that dogs need to chew - I think they get some sort of endorphin release from it. Mine certainly seem to 'bliss out' chomping on a good bone or chewy treat.

Dried tendons make awesome chewies or dogs. Mine get roo and beef ones.

Edited by poodlefan

I would hate to think how many sony play station3 remotes we have bought.... and foxtel remotes have bite marks all through them. Our amstaff boy only seemed to grab the last thing the boys had touched.He only did it a few times. He melts slide into the ground when you say "did you do this" thats all that had to be said to him, anymore and you would break his heart the big sook. Ive got a 14yr ol stumpy blue that when she was a pup, my goodness anything that i wore to gym including the shoes was mulched up in the front yard if i left her. She would go through the washing basket in the laundry and pick out my clothes and rip them to shreds because i left her. She grew out of it, but was an expensive few months.