Miniature Schnauzer - Grooming

LoTTy

Hi Everyone ...

I'm a bit of a newbie with puppies/dogs .... have only really had parrots :| but anyway

I've booked my little mini schnauzer Gizzy in for mobile grooming tomorrow but now i'm wondering if 16 weeks is to young?

Also if its not to young any advice on how to ask for him to be clipped/groomed would be great.

When we picked him up from the breeders place .. she has just clipped the top of his body and his face ...

If 16 weeks is to young then i mite just ask them to give him a nice smelly bath etc ..

Thanks

*LoTTy*

Thanks ...

I've been getting him use to brushing and combing .. and we used some clippers around him as my fiance just shaves his head :o

I did tell the mobile grooming lady he is a mini schnauzer but i didnt ask her experience ... but i will :o

The breeder offer to give him another clip but i thought i should get a groomer as thats what we'll be using normally so i had the idea the sooner the better kind of thing ...

Hopefully tomorrow goes well *ickkkk*

*LoTTy*

Contact your breeder & ask if they now anyone who grooms minis,sadly this breed is constantly butchered by groomers who have no clue.

Does your breeder do grooming??

Our minis go fully groomed at 8 weeks so no it isnt to young.Most of our puppy owners come back to us our we now a handful that can groom a mini well & pass there names on.

I think the breeder may just do it for the dogs she breeds ... as the info sheet i got with the puppy said first clip free...

I'm just a bit worried as we are in Tasmania and planning on moving back to the mainland next year so thats why i thought its best to just try a mobile groomer ...

I'll be sure to ask her all the questions tomorrow and watch her closely if i decide to let her do it .. other wise i mite just get him bathered and go to the breeder :|

I kinda just thought groomers would be like hairdressers and have a clue about how to groom breeds the way they are meant to be groomed ...

Now i'm working myself up into a nervous state about it :|

If the breeder is offering to groom the dog take him there this time and ask her if she can recommend a groomer near you who is experienced with schnauzers. The vast majority of mobile groomers wouldn't have a clue about how to groom individual breeds, most of them do a 'one size fits all' clip, they don't have the knowledge to do anything else.

The vast majority of mobile groomers wouldn't have a clue about how to groom individual breeds, most of them do a 'one size fits all' clip, they don't have the knowledge to do anything else.

I agree. I would be very careful about letting just any groomer clip your dog. It's a very precise style IMO and needs experience. I have seen some shocking Schnauzer clips :o

Thanks everyone for their input ... I'll just get him bathed and i'll take him to the breeder for another clip :o

Lucky i asked .. this time tomorrow i could be terribly disappointed

*LoTTy*

Be very precise that you don't want anything done. They might take it on themselves to trim her beard for you :o

I kinda just thought groomers would be like hairdressers and have a clue about how to groom breeds the way they are meant to be groomed ...

The problem is that anybody who thinks they might like to be a groomer can buy some gear and set them selves up. We have postings on here regularly from people who want to do just that.

Different BREEDS have different styles and coats but groomers now days seems to see less of the pure BREEDS than the now far more common place DD's where there is no traditional cut.

I only had a chat the other day with a young want to be groomer who has never been to a dog show, has no idea what the BREEDS are and thinks anything small and fluffy is a "maltese terrier" and that they have short curly hair.

I have seen the botched Schnauzer clips, the poodles with receding hairlines and feet clipped to half way up the legs, Westies with Scottie faces the list goes on. Now for the owner who knows no better and really doesn't care that may all be fine, but if you want your dog to return looking the way the breed is meant to, spend the time to find a Groomer who knows your Breed.

And for those that thinks you can look at a picture and simply clip a dog like that, it really isn't that easy.

And for those that thinks you can look at a picture and simply clip a dog like that, it really isn't that easy

Although it would nice if many actually owned books ;)

far to many groomers dont even own grooming books that would still give them good basics.They groom with no knowledge or even reference.

As a schnauzer breeder they certainly have to be one of the most butchered breeds around & the reality is they shouldnt.it isnt that hard yet groomers seem to make it very hard.

The worst is those that insist on giving owl eyes & trimming the beards,they have no idea how hard it is to grow it back.Those 2 areas just dont grow like the rest & can take years to grow back to what was trimmed off

And for those that thinks you can look at a picture and simply clip a dog like that, it really isn't that easy.

When I first started grooming my poodles myself I had Shirley Kalstone's book open in a recipe book holder in front of me on the bench. ;)

It was a big help.

Edited by poodlefan

Yeahhh i was hoping this maybe something i could learn to do myself ... but once i started googling and see a step by step grooming for a schnauzer ... i thought "BOY thats alot of work" ...

So i'll be now asking about for someone who knows how to clip schnauzers before booking them ...

Hopefully that will be a much easier task to do in qld rather then tassie ;)

Thanks everyone for their comments its been a great help.

*LoTTy*

The is a mini schnauzer club in QLD & many of the breeders do groom.There is also a Yahoo list called schnauzers australia you can join & talk all things mins.

They have schnauzers picnicsup there

Edited by showdog