Keeping Puppy Frommy Litter

BowWow

I am keeping a bitch from my litter of Bull Terrier pups - I have the dam who has been spayed and an older Staffy who has also been neutered. Older dogs get on fine. I am now turning my attentions to integrating pup with older dogs (pups are now 6 weeks old). I've heard some horror stories of bitches together but would like some tips on the best way to bring pup into the equation. ATM she spends all her time with her littermates and they come out to play with our other dogs several times a day but soon the rest of the litter will be off to their new homes, leaving the one pup I've decided to keep. Should I give this pup more time out with my adult dogs or keep her with the rest of the litter until they go? Current dogs have a very relaxed and peaceful lifestyle atm - just trying to consider best ways to involve our new pup and hoping she will not cause problems with my older bitch. This is a first for me so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

My opinion

it comes down to the attitude of the dog. Take a softer female, not a pushy pup that will want to push the other two for prime position when it matures. The dam will not be ready to give up her post but a pushy bitch will say 'hey my time to shine' and its on for young and old.

Are you planning to breed the one you keep? If not SPEY the sooner the better :confused:

It's hard to say, you'll have to see how it goes, but be vigilant. If you're going to have problems they will probably begin when the younger bitch approaches sexual maturity. Bear in mind that some bull terriers can be pretty intolerant of their own sex and that male/female is usually the best combination.

Edited by Miranda

I leave them with litter and mix with adults as normal, then once the rest of the pups have left, I keep up the same routine until the pup is big enough to keep out of trouble.

if you are worried about bitch fights, feed separatly, watch toys, don't leave them alone especially when going out.

After that is is a case of seeing how complementary the temperaments are.