Camera Suggestions...

LittlePoppet

QUICK QUESTION:

relatively new to DOL but going throught he photo threads has inspired me to look into getting

a new camera and the lens you are all raving about too!!

so what i was wondering is what camera do you all suggest? i dont know much about it all :eek: but very willing to learn!!

being a uni student price will play a big part on whether/when i get one..... but xmas is coming :D

would like to hear about lower priced but still good cameras as well as what you would suggest regardless of price....

like i said xmas is coming and i might get lucky when sants comes :o

thanx :eek:

QUICK QUESTION:

relatively new to DOL but going throught he photo threads has inspired me to look into getting

a new camera and the lens you are all raving about too!!

so what i was wondering is what camera do you all suggest? i dont know much about it all :eek: but very willing to learn!!

being a uni student price will play a big part on whether/when i get one..... but xmas is coming ;)

would like to hear about lower priced but still good cameras as well as what you would suggest regardless of price....

like i said xmas is coming and i might get lucky when sants comes :o

thanx :eek:

You will get several recommendations from several different DOLers here, but the best thing to do is get down to a Camera Warehouse or similar shop and hold / play / use all the variants, then try the different options and see what feels comfortable in your hands :D

Then research and listen to others on the ones that feel right.

Remember that you are also buying into a system, whether you go Canon, Nikon, Sony etc etc. and that most of the real money is spent on the lens, and the body can only help so much.

Budget wil also play an important factor, and you need to go online to somewhere like DD Electronics and DWI to see prices for Imports. Most people will warn you about imports because there is no Australian Warranty by the manufacturer, but you can purchase a MACK warranty which is as good as the manufacturers, and can be up to 5 years!

I am a Nikon user, and I would recommend the D90 for the lower end or a D300s for a higher end... you are looking between $800 to $2000 for the 2 different bodies. The Nikon 50mm 1.8 D will cost you around $200, and you should look at lenses seperately as kit lenses are a good start... the 18-200 VR is a great start but will set you back another $1000.

Canon work on 3 numbers is a consumer, 2 numbers is a prosumer and single numbers are the high end... so the 450D, 50D and 5D or 7D Mark II would be there bodies, but again prices will need to be looked at. Their glass is pretty good too... with the "L" series being their high end.

Also, don't be afraid of 3rd party glass as Tamron and Sigma do have some great lenses, but reading up will tell you the ones to get, but most importantly, the ones to avoid.

Get to a shop, feel each camera and see what feels good for you, then do plenty of research and talk to many many people.

Good luck and welcome to the magical world of dSLR :)

Andrew

Edited by SchnauzerBoy

Hi-

do you want to begin with a DSLR? as in a very good quality camera body, to which you add varying lenses, depending on what you are hoping to photograph...

Or , do you want a good 'compact' camera- one which has no interchangeable lenses..but which will be a good all-round camera to let you get the feel of being a photographer ...

I take lots of photos- but do not consider myself competent enough to cope with the demands of a DSLR.... carrying it all around, changing lenses, adjusting settings... not to mention the cost!!!

I have , for the last 3 years used the cameras from the FUJI Finepix range.My latest has an 18Xzoom, a super macro, and does a good job :eek:

The camera which is almost permanently attached to my person is my dear little old, bought secondhand ,SONY DSCN1.I just LOOVE the lens on this camera :eek: It is a tiny camera which takes crisp pics :o

have a look HERE for photos taken- mostly with the finepix- but more recent ones with the sony.

I have a Nikon Coolpix for my budget go anywhere sit in my pocket camera BUT since gaining my Nikon D60 with twin VR lens kit i hardly use it anymore. The DSLR is definately the way to go especialy when shooting dog pictures, mainly due to the dog movement factor i used to always miss the shots and as a very impatiant peson dont like waiting for cameras to catch up lol.

enjoy playing with different cameras, until you find the one which suits your needs :hug:

Best advice I've ever heard :happydance:

Now my 5 cents worth LittlePoppet. Start with a compact, but a nice one, then think DSLR. If money isn't an issue, & you know how to program these modern day suckers, get a Canon 5D. If budget is an issue, though, get an Olympus E-30 :happydance:

Mind you I have both Canon & Olympus gear so I'm not biased :rainbowbridge:

enjoy playing with different cameras, until you find the one which suits your needs :hug:

Now my 5 cents worth LittlePoppet. Start with a compact, but a nice one, then think DSLR. If money isn't an issue, & you know how to program these modern day suckers, get a Canon 5D. If budget is an issue, though, get an Olympus E-30 :happydance:

A 5D for someone who doesn't even have a camera yet? :rainbowbridge:

enjoy playing with different cameras, until you find the one which suits your needs :happydance:

Now my 5 cents worth LittlePoppet. Start with a compact, but a nice one, then think DSLR. If money isn't an issue, & you know how to program these modern day suckers, get a Canon 5D. If budget is an issue, though, get an Olympus E-30 :coffee:

A 5D for someone who doesn't even have a camera yet? :hug:

Well I did say "& you know how to program these modern day suckers" :rainbowbridge:

enjoy playing with different cameras, until you find the one which suits your needs :o

A 5D for someone who doesn't even have a camera yet? :eek:

Well I did say "& you know how to program these modern day suckers" :eek:

I seriously wouldn't recommend buying something like a 5D for your first DSLR, whether money is an issue or not. IMO it would be silly to spend that much on a camera without knowing whether you will take to DSLR photography and enjoy it enough to pursue photography beyond taking photos of friends and family. A basic DSLR will do everything a novice needs (and more) and even if someone loves photography, it would be ages before they'd need to upgrade from a basic camera. As has beens said by many others in the past, the lens makes more difference than the camera body and a good photographer can take amazing photos with the most basic body.

Oh Please. Considering it's as much as about programing, than that photography skills, that's pretty harsh. And more to the point LittlePoppet has already stated, in their original posting, that budget isn't an issue.

I furthermore stated to get a good compact to start with, along with the hint to learn how to use it to its fullist before they went further.

Then I said if "you know how to program these modern day suckers" (with laugh simlie may I add) then get the D5. Well given my experience, I certainly would have bypassed all the cash I wasted, getting to the E-30 I've got, & gone for the top end instead in the first place.

I'm not sure what you're reading but in her first post she states "being a uni student price will play a big part on whether/when i get one..... ". That doesn't sound to me like price isn't an issue.

It also states:

like i said xmas is coming and i might get lucky when sants comes :eek:

Consequentially I stated a good compact, at the lower end as requested by LittlePoppet, as well as the high end "regardless of price"

There is a hell of a lot more to taking a good photograph than knowing how to adjust the settings on your camera. My comment about a good photographer being able to take amazing photos with a basic camera is not just my opinion but has been said repeatedly by amateur and professional photographers and is repeated in just about every photography magazine and forum I've read.

No argument from me here. Bascially it's called framing & lighting. And holding the camera still doesn't go astray either. Saves on all this IS gear... :eek:

If a compact is what you want then get one by all means but there is no point in buying a compact camera just as a stepping stone to getting a DSLR. The entry level DSLRs are so user friendly that you can learn about all the different functions and how to use them without the need for an intermediary.

Actually I disagree. A really good compact teaches the novice everything a DSLR can do (well kinda). Plus you are always left with a videocam! That's something a DSLR can't do :o

Edited by DMA

"being a uni student price will play a big part on whether/when i get one..... ".

That's what I read as well.

I also agree that photography is, indeed, MUCH more than possessing a top-end camera, and an instruction book .

And that's so true :eek:

Edited by DMA

I get what you're saying DMA, but the 5D & 5D Mark II are (mostly) professional bodies. If price isn't an issue, why not recommend the IDs series. I just think it's vastly overkill when you can get a semi pro body (40D, 50D) for still a reasonable amount of money. Recommending a body that is around $4000 to a person who doesn't even have a camera yet and is a uni student....nothing WRONG with it but you know....it's a bit overkill. She doesn't even have any lenses yet. When people say regardless of price, the average person doesn't mean a $10k layout for a potential hobby, heh.

I don't really get what you mean by programming? Sure you can customise the cameras to a degree, but it's not like you have to do anything to it to use it out of the box. What do you really mean by 'Considering it's as much as about programing, than that photography skills'? To my mind, the only 'modern' skill required to use a dslr over a slr is the computer aspects. I own a 50D and I haven't customised a thing really.

And the 5D Mark II does have a vid cam :eek:

I get what you're saying DMA, but the 5D & 5D Mark II are (mostly) professional bodies. If price isn't an issue, why not recommend the IDs series. I just think it's vastly overkill when you can get a semi pro body (40D, 50D) for still a reasonable amount of money. Recommending a body that is around $4000 to a person who doesn't even have a camera yet and is a uni student....nothing WRONG with it but you know....it's a bit overkill. She doesn't even have any lenses yet. When people say regardless of price, the average person doesn't mean a $10k layout for a potential hobby, heh.

I don't really get what you mean by programming? Sure you can customise the cameras to a degree, but it's not like you have to do anything to it to use it out of the box. What do you really mean by 'Considering it's as much as about programing, than that photography skills'? To my mind, the only 'modern' skill required to use a dslr over a slr is the computer aspects. I own a 50D and I haven't customised a thing really.

And the 5D Mark II does have a vid cam :happydance:

Oh sure, what I may have said was overkill, BUT I did say get a good compact first.

Seriously, everything I said, as against what was originally asked by LittlePoppet, I answered as the "basic" as against the "regardless of price" model & thus the 5D came to mind. Are you asking whether there's a better high end DSLR?

As for the $10k business - well you had better ask LittlePoppet that question :happydance:

Plus you must understand I grew up with a Canon AE-1. So these digital SLRs are a joke to me. Yes everything needs programing these days. All I had was AE - everything else was done by manual. So to me these modern day SLRs are more programing than real photography :o

And the 5D Mk II has a vid cam! Now I'm just envious :eek: Having said that, my Canon PowerShot 590 cost me $129. How much does a D5 cost? :eek:

And the 5D Mark II does have a vid cam :thumbsup:

Oh sure, what I may have said was overkill, BUT I did say get a good compact first.

Seriously, everything I said, as against what was originally asked by LittlePoppet, I answered as the "basic" as against the "regardless of price" model & thus the 5D came to mind. Are you asking whether there's a better high end DSLR?

As for the $10k business - well you had better ask LittlePoppet that question :coffee:

Plus you must understand I grew up with a Canon AE-1. So these digital SLRs are a joke to me. Yes everything needs programing these days. All I had was AE - everything else was done by manual. So to me these modern day SLRs are more programing than real photography :o

And the 5D Mk II has a vid cam! Now I'm just envious :eek: Having said that, my Canon PowerShot 590 cost me $129. How much does a D5 cost? :eek:

Of course there are better high end DSLRs than the 5D :happydance:

I can't say I'd ever use video on a DLSR but the video available on the 5D far exceeds what you'd get on your Canon Powershot :happydance:

I guess I still don't get what you think needs programming on the DSLRs. But oh well, in the end it's the photographs that matter, not how hard it is to take the shot :thumbsup: Considering we all still generally decide on the appropriate f-stop, shutter speed and ISO combo for the shot, I'd say that's still *photography*.

And the 5D Mark II does have a vid cam :coffee:

As for the $10k business - well you had better ask LittlePoppet that question :laugh:

Plus you must understand I grew up with a Canon AE-1. So these digital SLRs are a joke to me. Yes everything needs programing these days. All I had was AE - everything else was done by manual. So to me these modern day SLRs are more programing than real photography :happydance:

Of course there are better high end DSLRs than the 5D :thumbsup:

Don't mention them otherwise you'll break my heart being a true Canon lover :o

I can't say I'd ever use video on a DLSR but the video available on the 5D far exceeds what you'd get on your Canon Powershot :thumbsup:

Oh I don't doubt the superior quality, but my wallet is rather thin already... :happydance:

I guess I still don't get what you think needs programming on the DSLRs. But oh well, in the end it's the photographs that matter, not how hard it is to take the shot :coffee: Considering we all still generally decide on the appropriate f-stop, shutter speed and ISO combo for the shot, I'd say that's still *photography*.

Never a truer word spoken :coffee: