Spoiled Rotten Or Separation Anxiety?

Aphra

We got a new foster dog yesterday who is about four months old, a Silky Terrier blend, as cute as a button, very sweet tempered and very smart, BUT, when she's left alone she barks and barks and barks and barks ... and this is not just lonely puppy barking, this is verging on hysteria.

When she's with you she's happy, out-going and well-behaved. When she's not with you she's the canine equivalent of driving a spike through your ear.

Unless your neighbours were all deaf she's not a good rehoming prospect. However, I spent about ten minutes with her last night. She was in a crate and every time she barked I turned my back on her, when she was quiet I praised her and gave her attention. Within that short time you could see her actually rethink the barking bit, so I think she's very trainable.

At home last night I did basically the same thing, put her in a crate in a room, every time she barked I left the room and closed the door, only going back to her when she was quiet. This morning I went through the same thing, although she has escalated her barking a bit and it took me a while to get her quiet enough so I could let her out of her crate. When she was running around with me I basically ignored her unless I initiated contact, and then I made her sit before I gave her any attention, she picked that up pretty quickly too. She slept quietly through the night without making any noise, so she can stay quietly by herself if she needs to.

I suspect that as a very cute little puppy she got lots of attention when she was noisy just because she was cute, and then got lots of attention when she was noisy because its the only way to shut her up, so the behaviour was both taught and reinforced.

I'm not a great dog trainer so am I on the right track? I will need to have her at least behaving reasonably before we can find her a home, and I'll probably need a simple program for her new owners to follow to keep her on the right track. I realise that she's probably been doing this for much of her short life, so it might not turn around immediately, but the sooner the better for her (and me :-).

Any suggestions most gratefully accepted.

Poor pup- it may well be neither of the options you mentioned... she is still a baby, and has probably had at least 3 homes!

No wonder she is agitated and noisy- she will be barking herself into a frenzy!

I have not much advice-- you sound as if you are on the right track

You sound like you are doing a good job. And I second the 'poor puppy' comment!

I would begin by working up to increased lengths of seperation very slowly. Maybe even start at 15 seconds, then 30 seconds, 1 minute, 3 minutes, 5 minutes etc. So very slowly so that she knows that you are coming back.

Also when you are seperated from her make sure she has something of value, eg a stuffed kong, or raw meaty bone to keep her occupied. If she is so stressed that she won't even eat these while you are seperated from her then you may have either gone too fast or could be a case for a veterinary behaviourist.

Also when you are seperated from her make sure she has something of value, eg a stuffed kong, or raw meaty bone to keep her occupied. If she is so stressed that she won't even eat these while you are seperated from her then you may have either gone too fast or could be a case for a veterinary behaviourist.

She will eat, I was rewarding her last night with some lamb off-cuts which she happily gnawed away on and finished over night. She was quiet all night, although she was probably very tired.