Rally Obedience

I've not heard of Rally in teams, but hey...who knows!!!

As for correct versus fast..I'm a firm believer that you do a quality run first and foremost...the time ONLY comes into it to sort out tie scores....if you get a perfect score but take twice as long, you will still win over the 99 score that took half as long as anyone else. (make sense?)

There are a LOT of Anti Rally people out there...and the majority are those that a) have never done it b) consider it a threat to their obedience trials or classes or c) can't understand or do it.

Yes you have to think...the judge only says "forward" and the rest is up to you, unlike traditional obedience where the judge is constantly telling you what to do.

I must have read it wrong, i think it was mentioned in a book I read on dog sports awhile ago.

I actually already let me obedience club know about the seminar and they said that when rally is up and running here they wouldnt mind teaching it at our club as it has been mentioned to them a few times now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to kick it along a bit....

There are more than a few agility judges out there who think Rally-O is a great 'bridge' from basic obedience to agility, particularly for those starting out in dog sport who love the look and idea of agility but may be a bit hesitant about running around with their dog, dog fitness/health, confidence level etc.

Rally teaches you to think, follow a sequence in proper order, execute the exercises ('obstacles') correctly, encourage and have fun with your dog, working as a team! Rally-O dogs need just as much impulse control and focus as traditional obedience and agility dogs.

So, very possibly, if you are having a tougher time promoting Rally-O among obedience people in your area, talking to your agility people might help.

Rally-O is a great complement to traditional obedience and not meant to take ANYTHING away from traditional obedience. I personally, get a great charge out of watching a well executed heel pattern in trad ob and watching a good dog/handler team performing, at all class levels. IMO, the best teams are those where there is obviously a great sense of teamwork and good praise for dog at exercise finished, whether 'passed' or not. As an aside, I commend all those who entered at Sydney Royal this month; I have great respect for anyone who got a qually there - they truly have super dogs - what with being next to the rides, screaming children and crowds streaming past constantly!

I also quite enjoy watching good agility runs and really enjoy watching those handlers who are having fun with their dogs.

And, now helping teach Rally-O at two clubs, I am also enjoying watching grins spread on faces and tails wag furiously as dog/handler teams 'get it' and start to blossom in their sessions.

It shouldn't matter what sport we choose to be involved in with our dogs, the core message should be, have fun with your dog!

/end soapbox

We have all the cards laminated and stands made now..........And we are going to make some time for Rally o at our Club.....I love it my dogs love it and yes it makes for better dogs at obedience trials........

We have all the cards laminated and stands made now..........And we are going to make some time for Rally o at our Club.....I love it my dogs love it and yes it makes for better dogs at obedience trials........

Can you tell me where your club is located?? I am desperately trying to find somewhere between Sydney & the Hunter Valley that is considering do it, including training as I am a complete novice at it...Oh, and have three bloodhounds!! :)

There are more than a few agility judges out there who think Rally-O is a great 'bridge' from basic obedience to agility, particularly for those starting out in dog sport who love the look and idea of agility but may be a bit hesitant about running around with their dog, dog fitness/health, confidence level etc.

Rally teaches you to think, follow a sequence in proper order, execute the exercises ('obstacles') correctly, encourage and have fun with your dog, working as a team! Rally-O dogs need just as much impulse control and focus as traditional obedience and agility dogs.

So, very possibly, if you are having a tougher time promoting Rally-O among obedience people in your area, talking to your agility people might help.

Rally-O is a great complement to traditional obedience and not meant to take ANYTHING away from traditional obedience. I personally, get a great charge out of watching a well executed heel pattern in trad ob and watching a good dog/handler team performing, at all class levels. IMO, the best teams are those where there is obviously a great sense of teamwork and good praise for dog at exercise finished, whether 'passed' or not. As an aside, I commend all those who entered at Sydney Royal this month; I have great respect for anyone who got a qually there - they truly have super dogs - what with being next to the rides, screaming children and crowds streaming past constantly!

I also quite enjoy watching good agility runs and really enjoy watching those handlers who are having fun with their dogs.

And, now helping teach Rally-O at two clubs, I am also enjoying watching grins spread on faces and tails wag furiously as dog/handler teams 'get it' and start to blossom in their sessions.

It shouldn't matter what sport we choose to be involved in with our dogs, the core message should be, have fun with your dog!

/end soapbox

Are you anywhere near Sydney or the Hunter Valley??? :)

/end soapbox

Are you anywhere near Sydney or the Hunter Valley??? :love:

sorry...i just spotted your location, so back to square one!!

/end soapbox

Are you anywhere near Sydney or the Hunter Valley??? :thumbsup:

sorry...i just spotted your location, so back to square one!!

Sorry we are too far away, we had a workshop a while ago, must see if we can get another one. Such fun a real blast

Edited by newfsie

yeah....I've found someone in the Hunter who can help me with Rally O. With a bit of luck we can get some interest in this area & get it up & running. :hug:

Thanks for everyone who offered assistance..... :(

Anyone else from the Hunter area that is interested please PM me & I can let you know where & when we will be training.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Angelsun, I was wondering for the seminar what a dog has to know as a pre-requiste. My young boy has heaps better focus, he can stand and sit plus he heels better but not great).

But I want to know if that will be enough? He will probably know down and stay by the seminar. Is that enough? I know the day is about me learning but I don't want to have my dog stopping my learning.

Your dog will be fine. any dog that has basic heeling (so you aren't pulling and he's not lunging and being a total dork the entire time) as well as sits and drops (not always needed but nice to know how to perform) are able to enjoy this seminar. Remember, we encourage differently in this, so even dogs with lessthan the basics will still learn and not leave on a negative note.

Your dog will be fine. any dog that has basic heeling (so you aren't pulling and he's not lunging and being a total dork the entire time) as well as sits and drops (not always needed but nice to know how to perform) are able to enjoy this seminar. Remember, we encourage differently in this, so even dogs with lessthan the basics will still learn and not leave on a negative note.

Lol thats us out then, Mason can be the picture of obedience one second and a monster the next, he loves other dogs and tends to want to say hello to the whole world....

Lol thats us out then, Mason can be the picture of obedience one second and a monster the next, he loves other dogs and tends to want to say hello to the whole world....

Which is why I am bringing Lincoln instead of Toby. :)

oh come on now.....your dog can't be a total dork more than some of the ones I've seen come through either my classes or actual trials.....(including my own current challenge!) And yes, I have had some dogs barely able to sit, and pull their handlers through the entire course....they (handlers) learned in spite of their challenge!

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't sent off my entry yet. I think I might go :laugh:

So who is definitely going to the Perth Rally seminar? :)

I wanted to go Tiggy but the driving down 2 days in a row puts me off....

You're welcome to crash at mine if that helps you any.

I haven't sent off my entry yet. I think I might go :bottom:

That's what I've been saying - I think I might go :rofl: . It sounds like fun and if I don't go I'll probably kick myself later :rofl: .