Youtubing Dolers

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok quick question to do with recalls for CCD. When I return to Daisy I tend to take a step back and then walk around her. Someone mentioned to me the other night that you might only be allowed to take a step to the side and then return to them - does anyone know if there are rules about this? If I'm not being clear, you can see what I mean in the first vid I uploaded last night, when Daisy does a recall and I take a step back as I return around her.

Huski, as far as I know, unless things have changed in the last year, the finish (return to your dog) for the recall in CCD is actually simply you stepping back to the side of the dog - i.e. pivoting straight back to the heel position without going round the back of the dog. The return round the back of the dog is used in stays. Either way, IMHO, you shouldn't be putting that extra step to the side or back in. It's just straight down the side of the dog and round and up to heel position - as close to the dog as practicable, making room for the tail :thanks: . In the step back to heel position finish, the dog stays put (with an extra command if you want to cop a minor) and you just pivot back into position - i.e. no sideways or backwards step.

But I could be wrong :o .

I thought it was a round the back return in CCD Tassie - like you would in stays.

Yep - my bad. Just checked the rules, and it is a return around the back. But still, no extra step. Just straight down the dog's side. Don't know what a judge would do if you put the sideways step in.

So your dog can't return to heel?

Not in CCD.

Once you're in novice, your dog has to. I think it's st00pid (not being able to in CCD), but thems the rules!

mmm I'm going to need to work on that I think, I have enough problem with Dante predicting the return to heel as it is.

Thanks everyone for the feedback re; returning to your dog in the CCD recall!

Yep - my bad. Just checked the rules, and it is a return around the back. But still, no extra step. Just straight down the dog's side. Don't know what a judge would do if you put the sideways step in.

Thanks Tassie. I'm not sure how else to return around her if I don't take a step to the side so I can walk down her side and back around? :vomit: *goes off to watch a bunch of CCD obedience videos*

At the moment I'm doing clicker challenges in the Dane Thread, last one was a Pivot turn, we're still working on it but when the challenge finished this is where we were:
(Technically not really a pivot, we tried but the big boof couldn't physically pivot, it's a work in progress) You can't take a sideward step and have him re-join you at heel, he doesn't understand that, we have tried putting a lead around his body as well to help hm but noooo LOL

I'm in love with Dante :vomit:

Thanks everyone for the feedback re; returning to your dog in the CCD recall!

Thanks Tassie. I'm not sure how else to return around her if I don't take a step to the side so I can walk down her side and back around? :vomit: *goes off to watch a bunch of CCD obedience videos*

I just sort of diagonally step forward and to my right to go around the dog for CCD returns. I don't think I have any CCD trials up on my youtube page to demonstrate what I mean. You could probably take a very small sideways step as you move forward to go around her, but the step back that I saw in your video I would can ASAP before it becomes too much of a habit and you accidentally do it in a trial :eek:

Edit: I don't like making comments on other people's videos because I don't think I'm in much of a position to do so seeing that I am still learning myself, however, I did notice in your videos that when you do about turns, you are stopping to wait for Daisy to catch up to you and then starting to walk again, and that first step is always a big one. I would make your first step coming out of the about turn a smaller one to give her a chance to catch up, but make sure you don't stop, you have to keep moving!

Edited by RubyStar

I do a diagonal forward step like RS described. With Ahsoka I find it a bit harder because her fronts are usually right up underneath me! :vomit: But I never take a step backwards. Just takes a bit of coordination to make sure you don't trip over the dog! :eek:

I do a diagonal forward step like RS described. With Ahsoka I find it a bit harder because her fronts are usually right up underneath me! :vomit: But I never take a step backwards. Just takes a bit of coordination to make sure you don't trip over the dog! :eek:

LOL That's the problem I've been having! I'm not very coordinated and I'm worried about tripping over her as she does come in nice and close in her fronts! LOL another thing on the list to practice :eek:

At the moment I'm doing clicker challenges in the Dane Thread, last one was a Pivot turn, we're still working on it but when the challenge finished this is where we were:
(Technically not really a pivot, we tried but the big boof couldn't physically pivot, it's a work in progress) You can't take a sideward step and have him re-join you at heel, he doesn't understand that, we have tried putting a lead around his body as well to help hm but noooo LOL

I'm in love with Dante :eek:

:vomit: He is all yours....he is commonly known as Spawn of Satan or Asshole dog!

LOL That's the problem I've been having! I'm not very coordinated and I'm worried about tripping over her as she does come in nice and close in her fronts! LOL another thing on the list to practice :eek:

I do the diagonal step also.Hopefully you will only have to be doing it for three trials :mad