Trial Nerves

Tiggy

I've entered my first obedience trial and I'm already nervous even though it's not until the end of February :rofl: . I keep telling myself it's just a trial etc but it doesn't help. I think all I can do is put in the training and be well organised on the day and hope my nerves don't get the better of me. How do other people cope with nerves? Please tell me it's not just me :eek: .

I get nervous too :eek: and sometimes it does affect our performance.

All I have done so far is enter and while the first couple may be really stressful, I have found I am less nervous now. Still make some silly mistakes due to nerves though :rofl:

:rofl:

I dont cope, I am nervous the whole lead up, just make sure sometimes you train in front of someone who makes you nervous and your dog will be used to it! :eek:

I do get less nervous while Im actually in the ring though, and by the time Im done nerves are gone

But shoey you shouldn't be getting nervous I hear your dog is awesome!! Steve was raving about him when he was in QLD last month!! :eek:

I try to get myself nervous and then train with those nerves - this might be in a busy place where lots of people are around or a mock trial... I can't really explain it. :rofl:

When I get to the actual trial I try to ignore the nerves and just concentrate on relaxing body language and giving clear signals and commands. I think over time you get used to it!

A little tip to help give you a heads up on the heel pattern etc, is watch the others in your ring, and take note of the heel pattern. Most judges will put everyone through the same routine, so try to memorise it, so you know what the next direction is most likely to be.

I used to get nervous when I first started - to the point where the judges would always tell me to breath after the heeling pattern :rofl:

The best thing I ever did was to enter the Melb Royal obedience trial - was so nervous I nearly spewed (sorry . . .) and my girl, Rhemy was soooooo naughty the night prior at our last run through with trainer that I thought she would probably run out of the ring and go for a joy run (could just imagine her joy running through the cattle enclosure).

Nope, she was so good the judge actually ran us into the rail because she was so enjoying watching her heeling pattern :eek:. Despite her 'mother' having an out of body experience she pulled off a great pass and first place as well & best novice. By far the best thing I ever did - NOTHING / no other trial was ever as stressful as that day was. I recommend everyone aim for something like that and push your own boundaries to the extreme - you will only learn valuable lessons from it.

Now I trial with my dogs to be with them - they love it and enjoy having a job - nothing more beautiful than a dog who shows they love working with you. I love the one on one with my dogs, I love to see how fast they learn things, I love to see them work something out, I love to see their joy and look of satisfaction with themselves when they know they have done a good job, I love their excitement for their reward (whatever they choose) and yes the titles are a nice tribute to their achievements but thats not what it is really all about. What I want from each trial is to gel that team work with my dog to a higher level each time - this includes accuracy ofcourse and hopefully bettering our last scores but moreso their enjoyment and desire to work with me -

Love being with your dog, enter for you and your dog and don't worry about anything or anyone else. & GOOD LUCK ;)

BD

* a shot of vodka & raspberry cordial about 1/2 hr b4 you go in the ring works wonders as well :(

A little tip to help give you a heads up on the heel pattern etc, is watch the others in your ring, and take note of the heel pattern. Most judges will put everyone through the same routine, so try to memorise it, so you know what the next direction is most likely to be.

I did this and then forgot I had one more drop before fast pace. So when the judge said "forward" (which was still normal pace) it was obvious to all that I'd made a mistake trying to memorise the judges heel patern when I took off in fast pace instead :D

I had all intentions of memorising heel patterns prior as best as I could, but didn't in the end as I figured it would probably just mess me up more with anticipation - much like a dog who is too smart for their own good, knowing the exercise, anticipates and fails :D

:D

I dont cope, I am nervous the whole lead up, just make sure sometimes you train in front of someone who makes you nervous and your dog will be used to it! ;)

I do get less nervous while Im actually in the ring though, and by the time Im done nerves are gone

This sounds like a good idea to me. I know my nervousness travelled down the lead to my previous dog & even though I tried to not show it, the dog knew.

Edited by luvsdogs

I get very nervous , and people can always tell because my face has a tendency to go quite red , during my test my mouth gets extremely dry so by the time i have finished i feel like I've run a marathon race !!!! lol ! ;)

My nerves are getting better the more i trial and im sure yours will too .

Bisart Dobes is right (some great advice!) at the end of the day there's nothing more satisfying then spending good quality time with your dog and nothing quite rewarding as working as a team !

Goodluck !!!! :D , make sure you let us know how you go !

had all intentions of memorising heel patterns prior as best as I could, but didn't in the end as I figured it would probably just mess me up more with anticipation - much like a dog who is too smart for their own good, knowing the exercise, anticipates and fails

You don't need to memorise the whole pattern. I normally take note of the first few turns, just to give myself the time to settle in. I also take note of the times that the pattern heads straight for the ring rope. There is nothing worse than heading for it and the judge decides to give you a late direction, and you almost trip over your dog, or give it mixed turning signals.