Interesting Training Session

We had an interesting training session this morning - teaching a new trick.

Basically I want to teach CK to vault off my legs and catch a frisbee. This morning we started to work on the foundations - me kneeling with one knee on the ground, the other out in front of me - CK to put two feet on my leg and then have a play. (Pretty basic really......)

BUT......it took two goes to teach it to him on the left leg, then a few more goes to make sure he knew exactly what I was asking for - clever puppy.

THEN - I decided to teach it on the other side - I took him around to that side and asked for the same behaviour - he looked at me blankly.

It was really easy to get him to understand what I was after, but I was amazed (but shouldn't have been in hindsight) that he just did not relate on side to the other.

It never ceases to intrigue me how their brains work - I think that is what makes training so much fun. Results come from thinking like a dog - not like a person.

:laugh:

If he thought that he was VERY confused. Mum was at home cleaning up the house like a good little wifey should be at that time of the morning! :confused:

:mad

It's OK, I get called a girl all the time and don't really think too much of it - pretty fair assumption given how many guys are out playing dog sport. If only I'd discovered dogs 15 years ago - before I got married!! ;)

If he thought that he was VERY confused. Mum was at home cleaning up the house like a good little wifey should be at that time of the morning!

well see there's your problem ... if you were wearing a skirt I'm sure the dog would have performed perfectly :confused:

apologies on that one hehe

We had an interesting training session this morning - teaching a new trick.

Basically I want to teach CK to vault off my legs and catch a frisbee. This morning we started to work on the foundations - me kneeling with one knee on the ground, the other out in front of me - CK to put two feet on my leg and then have a play. (Pretty basic really......)

BUT......it took two goes to teach it to him on the left leg, then a few more goes to make sure he knew exactly what I was asking for - clever puppy.

THEN - I decided to teach it on the other side - I took him around to that side and asked for the same behaviour - he looked at me blankly.

It was really easy to get him to understand what I was after, but I was amazed (but shouldn't have been in hindsight) that he just did not relate on side to the other.

It never ceases to intrigue me how their brains work - I think that is what makes training so much fun. Results come from thinking like a dog - not like a person.

Training vaults is just interesting to start with. You think they get it and then you stand a little taller but leg is pretty much the same and they have the blank stare again. Or maybe that's just my girl!

If he thought that he was VERY confused. Mum was at home cleaning up the house like a good little wifey should be at that time of the morning!

well see there's your problem ... if you were wearing a skirt I'm sure the dog would have performed perfectly :thumbsup:

apologies on that one hehe

:rofl: I try to sneak out with one on, but wife just won't let me!! Best I can do is fishnets covered by tracky dacks.

The other problem is that he things a skirt blowing in the wind makes a perfect tug toy..... :laugh: ...we are working on that perception.

Edited by Agility Dogs

The other problem is that he things a skirt blowing in the wind makes a perfect tug toy

my god man ... you've come up with a perfect way to fine tune focus through prey drive

GENIUS! :thumbsup: I can see it now, schutzhund and protection will never be the same again!

:laugh: I try to sneak out with one on, but wife just won't let me!! Best I can do is fishnets covered by tracky dacks.

The other problem is that he things a skirt blowing in the wind makes a perfect tug toy..... :rofl: ...we are working on that perception.

You know that is an image that I don't want in my mind nor one you should ever ever try! :laugh: