Dilated Pupil

kelpiekaye

My young kelpie, 6 months, had a sore eye yesterday morning. I was going to the vet anyhow so took her along. The vet could not find anything in it and thought that most probably she had a severe knock to it. She prescibed Amacin and Atropt, also antibiotics. The eye is seriously dilated still. It is not worrying her as much as it is worrying me. Has anyone else had experience with this type of injury. Also it is dam near impossible to get drops and ointment in her eye. Any tips. Cheers Kaye

Atropt (which is atropine) will also dilate the pupil.

Amacin is a combination of antibiotic and cortisone.

Unless there is a sign of infection, I am unsure as to why you were given systemic antibiotics?

One enlarged pupil is called anisocoria. It is usually idiopathic (ie. we don't know what caused it), and resolves without medication. It can take up to 6 weeks to do so.

It get an exact diagnosis of the cause would require an MRI, which can be a little pricey!!

If in doubt, see a Veterinary Ophthalmologist.

All the best with your pup.

ETA: One dilated pupil, along with an eye that is red, blue and painful can also mean glaucoma, but that is not what you are describing, and would be pretty much unheard of in a 6mth old Kelpie.

Edited by Elfin

Atropt (which is atropine) will also dilate the pupil.

Amacin is a combination of antibiotic and cortisone.

Unless there is a sign of infection, I am unsure as to why you were given systemic antibiotics?

One enlarged pupil is called anisocoria. It is usually idiopathic (ie. we don't know what caused it), and resolves without medication. It can take up to 6 weeks to do so.

It get an exact diagnosis of the cause would require an MRI, which can be a little pricey!!

If in doubt, see a Veterinary Ophthalmologist.

All the best with your pup.

ETA: One dilated pupil, along with an eye that is red, blue and painful can also mean glaucoma, but that is not what you are describing, and would be pretty much unheard of in a 6mth old Kelpie.

Thanks for that. It sounds like I should stop the Atropt. I may go to another vet for a second opinion. She hates the Atropt anyhow.

My young kelpie, 6 months, had a sore eye yesterday morning. I was going to the vet anyhow so took her along. The vet could not find anything in it and thought that most probably she had a severe knock to it. She prescibed Amacin and Atropt, also antibiotics. The eye is seriously dilated still. It is not worrying her as much as it is worrying me. Has anyone else had experience with this type of injury. Also it is dam near impossible to get drops and ointment in her eye. Any tips. Cheers Kaye

I just re-read this.. I missed the bit where you said the eye had been sore. :laugh: Anisocoria does not cause pain, so I would be concerned about it being something else. The vet may have given you the Atropt if they suspected uveitis (but uveitis presents with a small or mid-dilated pupil)

Was the pupil dilated BEFORE the vet put the Atropt in? (This is how I read the initial post)

Is the white part of the eye red?

It the cornea cloudy?

Is she squinting?

Is there any discharge?

Sorry, I should have read your post more thoroughly. :)

Sometimes if a dog has had a blow to the eye, they are put on atropt (atropine) drops to dilate the pupil. It helps to reduce pain and inflammation. I had a horse with a sore eye that had her pupil dilated for over a week to help make sure the pupil didn't adhere to the front of the eye while it was healing.

Even if you suddenly stop the atropt it can take a day for the pupil to come down to near normal size.

It is common to put dilate an animals pupil for at least a couple of days after an eye injury or suspected injury.

Atropt takes awful - take it from someone who accidentally got some in her eye whilst medicating said horse - and had a dilated pupil for a good day! Even though it goes in the eye, the eye drains into the back of the throat.

There is someone on here who is a veterinary opthathalmis assistant and said they are happy to discuss eyes :confused:

Elfin from a different thread :laugh:

I know nuffin' 'bout nuffin' 'cept animal eyes. (I am a Veterinary Ophthalmic Assistant)

And I really love helping people with their pet's eye problems, so ask all you like!!!

ETA I see she/he has already replied

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

I just re-read this.. I missed the bit where you said the eye had been sore. :thumbsup: Anisocoria does not cause pain, so I would be concerned about it being something else. The vet may have given you the Atropt if they suspected uveitis (but uveitis presents with a small or mid-dilated pupil)

Was the pupil dilated BEFORE the vet put the Atropt in? (This is how I read the initial post)

It the cornea cloudy?

Is she squinting?

Is there any discharge?

No the pupil was not dilated before the Atropt, in fact it wasnt dilating at all, the white part of eye was red, the cornea was not cloudy, she was squinting and still is sometimes, there is no discharge to speak of. It isnt bothering her at all now, just a very dilated pupil. Gratful for any advice. Thanks

Sorry, I should have read your post more thoroughly. :rofl:

I just re-read this.. I missed the bit where you said the eye had been sore. :rofl: Anisocoria does not cause pain, so I would be concerned about it being something else. The vet may have given you the Atropt if they suspected uveitis (but uveitis presents with a small or mid-dilated pupil)

It the cornea cloudy?

Is she squinting?

Is there any discharge?

Sorry, I should have read your post more thoroughly. :laugh:

Sorry I probably didnt explain well enough :thumbsup:

The pupil was not dilating at all before the Atropt, the white part of eye was red, the cornea was not cloudy, there is no discharge, she was squinting but not so much now. Hope this helps :eat:

You explained just fine; I didn't read it properly. :thumbsup:

It sounds like your vet was concerned about uveitis (inflammation inside the eye), which causes the pupil to be small. The atropine dilates the pupil (and also tasted revolting). The vet would have probably put dye in the eye to make sure there was no damage to the cornea. We would probably use a strong cortisone drop (such as Prednefrin Forte) to reduce the inflammation, and perhaps an oral NSAID such as Rimadyl.

I am still not sure why the vet gave you Amacin and antibiotics, especially if there was no discharge.

I am glad she is no longer squinting. The Atropt can take a few days to wear off.

All the best,

N

You explained just fine; I didn't read it properly. :rofl:

It sounds like your vet was concerned about uveitis (inflammation inside the eye), which causes the pupil to be small. The atropine dilates the pupil (and also tasted revolting). The vet would have probably put dye in the eye to make sure there was no damage to the cornea. We would probably use a strong cortisone drop (such as Prednefrin Forte) to reduce the inflammation, and perhaps an oral NSAID such as Rimadyl.

I am still not sure why the vet gave you Amacin and antibiotics, especially if there was no discharge.

I am glad she is no longer squinting. The Atropt can take a few days to wear off.

All the best,

N

Thanks for the informed advice. Cheers Kaye :thumbsup: