Scotty's And Tucker Time Dog Roll And Raw Meaty Bones Diet?

Dimity

Hey,

Has anyone used Scotty's or Tucker Time dog rolls before? My vet has recommended them for Ralph to help him put on weight while I get him used to dry food. So far we have had no luck with getting him to eat dry food and my vet said to try one of those brands of rolls for 6-8 weeks to get some weight on him then to slowly reintroduce dry food, and if he still won't eat dry food to keep him on the dog roll (he said its a complete food) and make sure he gets extra bones to help with his teeth.

I have always been very wary of dog roll because I know most of them out there are crap. The Scotty's one reads quite well but I don't know where to get info on Tucker time (its the one my vet really wants me to get) it reads good on the website but their website doesn't have a list of ingredients so that makes me wonder if it is actually good or just a bunch of good words but crap food.

Has anyone used either of these brands and know if they are good?

Does anyone know where I can get an ingredients list for Tucker Time and if it is any good?

If I cannot get him to eat dry food after this, are these rolls alright to use full time?

Thanks in advance

Dimity

Edited by Dimity

I used to buy a food called "Ecopet" and my dogs loved it. But the shop stopped stocking it and offered me Scotty's instead. I didn't like it at all, hated the consistency and smell.

I had a long gap without anything I was particularly happy with before finding Ecopet again recently - I'm over the moon!

I haven't tried tucker time.

We used to feed scotty's as a "treat" but they seemed to have changed the recipe or something and it wasn't the same.

We have now switched to raw so the boys don't get it anymore.

Have you thought of switching to raw ... I use Canine Country or BARF pre-made patties while the pup is still growing. My boys love their raw.

For the first week we tried persistence, he was fed the dry food and nothing else, it was taken away after 20mins and returned at the next meal. After a vet check to make sure nothing was wrong medical wise and 7 days of eating nothing but grass we came to the conclusion persistence wasn't going to work.

Since then we have tried mixing different thing like mince, sardines, eggs, into the dry and he eats but he eats everything but the dry to the point of when just egg is mixed in he will literally suck the egg off the dry food and then spit the dry food out into a pile next to his bowl (its really something to watch).

He is loosing more weight and as he was 10kg underweight when we rescued him he cannot afford to lose any more. So the vet has suggested the dog roll.

I have looked into feeding raw just today for him and I am very interested in it, but I am finding it awfully confusing as to what exactly to feed him I have spent the last 9 hours reading and I am more confused about raw feeding than when I started researching.

I came across this website http://www.rawmeatybones.com/ so far it has been the least confusing of everything I have read but can a dog really survive on just raw meaty bones and just occasional table scraps?

Based on the diet guide he would need 10-12kg of raw meaty bones a week (he should weigh between 50-55kg) he currently weighs 35kg. I know my butcher sells really cheap bulk chicken frames and lamb necks I've seen them on the shelves. Is there anything else I would need to add to his diet?

After reading stuff about raw feeding and how complicated it all seems this diet just really seems to good to be true.

Is it really that simple?

I have looked into feeding raw just today for him and I am very interested in it, but I am finding it awfully confusing as to what exactly to feed him I have spent the last 9 hours reading and I am more confused about raw feeding than when I started researching.

I came across this website http://www.rawmeatybones.com/ so far it has been the least confusing of everything I have read but can a dog really survive on just raw meaty bones and just occasional table scraps?

Based on the diet guide he would need 10-12kg of raw meaty bones a week (he should weigh between 50-55kg) he currently weighs 35kg. I know my butcher sells really cheap bulk chicken frames and lamb necks I've seen them on the shelves. Is there anything else I would need to add to his diet?

After reading stuff about raw feeding and how complicated it all seems this diet just really seems to good to be true.

Is it really that simple?

I read all the books and found it very confusing ... so I ended up buying the Dr Billinghursts RAW BARF Patties and then basically you add the same amount of digestable bones (my guys prefer chicken necks but also get chicken frames, turkey necks, rabbit, brisket bones, roo tails, lamb leg bones etc).

As the pup got bigger and I switched both dogs to raw - I changed them over to Canine Country.

I give the boys whole fish at least once a week, sardines and eggs once or twice a week. I add yoghurt, flaxseed oil, ester c and brewers yeast daily. They also get any leftover vegetables. My boys are thriving.

My older boy is 60kg and the little boy is 38kg!!!

Edited by Tilly

Raw feeding doesn't require a degree and you can keep it pretty simple. A mix of lamb flaps, chicken wings, carcass, chicken necks, lamb necks ( the whole necks ) roo tails, brisket, other raw meaty bones, whole rabbit, turkey wings and then extras like sardines, a little grated cheese, left over vegie scraps, natural yogurt, hard boiled eggs shell and all or a whole raw egg.

Buy in bulk and freeze in meal size portions. Defrost and serve.

The extras you can do a couple of times a week.

My 3 goldens were continually suffering from diarrohea which the vet was unable to discover the reason for. I was using VIP dog rolls and had noticed some changes in the smell and texture of the rolls, so, under advice from my vet, I have used Tucker Time for the past 12 months and no more diarrohea. The kids love it. They have only Tucker Time (chicken and garlic rolls) and senior Pedigree dry food. They certainly aren't fading away. I often give it to the yorkies as well, and they love it.

Some vets sell it, PetStock sells it and my local One Stop Pet Shop. It isn't available in supermarkets.

I purchase it from my local One Stop Pet Shop and the owners are dog show people. They have assured me the product is free of undesirable additives, and, in fact, have stopped selling any other type of dog food because of the additives.

Sorry - can't comment on the product. Just had a look at the Tuckertime website and used the store locator function. Apparently nobody in the ACT sells it. The only listing that came up on the ACT search was one in WA :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Reporting in.

Used Tuckertime for the first time with a Foster dog, I think it's great....but expensive to feed a Great Dane though.

Foster dog recovered from the squirts within days of starting it.

I also brought a roll of Tuckertime after reading this thread.It is expensive though although a lot more concentrated than general supermarket rolls and does not feel as fatty

I like to add some slices to my dogs dry food so I can pop their fish oil etc supplements in