Fear Aggression?

Jetty

I'm reading Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt at the moment. She uses an exercise called "Look at That!" where she turns looking at things that are worrisome into a game. She marks and rewards them when they look at the worrisome thing and when they hear the mark they turn back to the handler for their reward. She works them under threshold and slowly builds them up. It seems it often doesn't take long at all. Once you teach them to look at things for a reward, they start taking shortcuts and doing really fast glances and then staring at the handler for their reward. I've heard a lot of positive things about that game.

I found teaching my small, fearful dog to play ball, and then playing ball around big, friendly dogs made a huge difference. That way she meets dogs without them being in her face, and focusing on the ball keeps her from focusing on the other dogs. But it only helps doing it around stable, gentle and friendly bigger dogs.

The biggest difference has been doing flyball though. She will always be a little timid around bigger dogs, but doesn't bark and growl now.

Oh yeah when we have taken Jet to the beach previously we usually pay fetch and he ignores every other dog. I haven't taken him for months though. I don't think I should since it seems to be getting worse. I contacted Jane and she has gotten back to me. So will be arranging an appointment in the near future.