Obedience Troubleshooting

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for the record Ptolomy I did actually check that Kenz would hold an article until give her release cue to give it and yep she was fine :welcome: . Didn't even start mouthing the article just held onto it patiently until I cued her to release it.

With all my training sessions I am running out of exercises to start - suppose that means I might have to actually finish something :) . Hey we did have progress on articles today. I played a session this morning using 5 flower pots and 1 scented wood. Well that got her sniffing pretty quickly. Ended up taking away the flower pots and had 4 unscented woods 1 scented wood out and she would find the wood regardless of where I had it even if she had to go over the top of unscented articles to find it :welcome: . Lets say when I tried again tonight we only had fetching on our brain :) . Ah well she will get there eventually.

So when you work up to two or three bowls, you teach the dog to go to a particular bowl on command? Or am I really daft :)

The food could be in any of the bowls you've got out but the dog should go to whichever bowl you line it up to and ignore the other 1 or 2 bowls that you have out (which is why you only put food in one bowl at a time so they know when they've got it right).

Hopefully Gina's explanation will get put up soon as I'm sure it'll be a LOT clearer than mine and hopefully I haven't confused you any further!!!

Heeling problems - in particular my old girl loves to sniff the ground.

She's always struggled with this one. Not sure - maybe I'm making it too boring? I must admit I think of heeling as a more 'serious' exercise, and I guess that probably works against us.

Should I be training her on heeling every day? Or less often? How long for? Am I using food too often? I've been using the clicker and rewarding as we go along after a varying no. of steps. But she seems to be losing interest again.

She got her CCD, 2 legs of novice now, and some days she is fantastic but other days... :)

She's 11 years old and loves to train - we've been learning new tricks for the last few years! She just looks bored during heeling and then comes alive as soon as a dumbbell or jump comes out or we do a recall.

Edited by Zug Zug

This is the abridged version of the Food Bowl/Directed Retrieve exercise:

Get three small bowls.

Place one out in front of the dog and put some food in it (just a couple of pieces).

Have the dog neatly sitting very straight beside you - as he should be if you'd turned nicely.

With elbow tucked IN ! place your hand neatly next to dogs side of face.

Your hand, body, shoulder, feet, head should all be pointing towards the bowl.

Without moving your hand, say GET IT!! and send the dog to the bowl. You can click the go out and let the dog get the food. Once he had eaten the food, call come and have the dog race back to you for a reward.

Build distance. You can place the bowl randomly out on the park, with trees, broad jumps etc behind it.

Put two bowls out. Separate them by more than you would have in the ring (S added: in the ring each of the gloves is 6 m apart). Only walk out and put food in one of the bowls but pretend to it in the other bowl. The order is to be done randomly.

Start close, go through the same procedure.

Change which bowl you put the food into but make sure you line up as described consistently.

If you're worried about the dog going to the wrong bowl and then going off to the other bowl - 1. this is telling you that the foundation work of looking straight and running straight is still not strong enough, so go back!!

You can also have a friend (who can also put the food out for you if you're lucky) there to take the bowl away with the food in it, if the dog goes to the wrong bowl. BUT STILL go back to one bowl and get the foundation behaviour. Once you are confident with two bowls you can start to put out the third bowl. Set them slightly broader of the centre than trial standard but always be in the centre (in front of No 2 glove position).

Go through the same procedure.

Practice turns separately.

Once the dog is marking and running straight you have a good foundation.

That is the first bit - you then repeat the process in a similar fashion with a glove rather than the food bowl present.

I will say although don't do as I do I have called both of mine off gloves at various points. Mostly when they decide to not wait to be sent. Ness will sometimes shoot off after a glove without taking direction and in those circumstances I will call her off. Kenzie will also get called off for a similar reason but I don't think in her case it will kill any enthusiasm for the retrieve so I am not to concerned. I am careful the next time though to set them up so they can be successful and so I don't need to call them off again.

Zug Zug in answer to your heeling problem - hmmm its a tough one - I would probably start some duration heelwork with her now there are no trials for the next little while. I would however only be doing that. Alternatively you could give her a break for about a month or so and start again towards the end of January. I am currently spelling my older girl and just doing stuff with the younger one and you can bet your bottom dollar that the older one is less than impressed by missing out on the training. She is starting to butt in whereas before she would sit and wait. I will occasionally do something small with her (yes Ptolomy I so can't help myself :) ) and she is bursting at the seams. She has done nothing much in the way of training since the beginning of December and certainly nothing at all since around the 13th.

When we start back I will start her off with some duration heelwork with food rewards located off me.

Thanks - and yes I think that's probably good advice. A short spell, then I think I need to make it more FUN and move more quickly. She hates moving slow, but she likes running to a food reward located elsewhere, so I think I'll do that. Cheers!

Oh one more thing Zug Zug don't be afraid to go back to only a couple of steps when you start with the duration heelwork. That was the take home point I got from Sue's seminar - never mind the fact that my girl is trained through to UD and should therefore be able to do a decent length of heelwork - if you have to start back at 5 paces so the dog is successful so be it.

Ok I have a problem! My dog can't keep up with me anymore!! She's still recovering from a tick so runs out of breath after a reasonably short session still... this sucks cos I'm ultra motivated to train at the moment but can't find time to get lots of sessions in in a day. Me thinks that I need another dog!! :laugh:

Ok I think I have a "proper" problem now! So we are training for UD and in the last few weeks we've finally got the directed jumping exercise together into one peice, however just in the last few sessions she keeps heading over the same jump (left hand when facing box) on the way out to the box. I know she is still very much a novice dog at all this so understand why she's getting confused but I want to check what different suggestions people might have on dealing with this. I'm going to separate it back into two parts (the send away and the directed jumps) and only put them fully together every once in a while, is this what most people do?

Ok I think I have a "proper" problem now! So we are training for UD and in the last few weeks we've finally got the directed jumping exercise together into one peice, however just in the last few sessions she keeps heading over the same jump (left hand when facing box) on the way out to the box. I know she is still very much a novice dog at all this so understand why she's getting confused but I want to check what different suggestions people might have on dealing with this. I'm going to separate it back into two parts (the send away and the directed jumps) and only put them fully together every once in a while, is this what most people do?

Have you taught your dog to "sight" the box?

Have you put the box in different locations (tall grass etc) and sent her?

Have you done the box from multiple distances?

Pebbles has one more pass to get her Novice title, just to make things interesting I've been teaching her to go over jumps & into the box now I need to teach her to retrieve. Pebbles loves fetching her "chookie", but what's the best way to teach her to do the whole retrieve thing, I guess your all thinking "well DUH" but I have :), she's the first dog I've done obedience with so any help would be great.