Which Lens Next?

ILuvAmstaffs

I bought a D200 with the 18-55 kit lens earlier in the year. I've been pretty happy with the results from the kit lens but now would like to get another lens to play around with.

I have been looking at the nikkor 18-200 & have been reading a lot of great reviews, but am not sure I would use the super zoom enough to warrant lugging a big lens around as my standard walk about lens.

The other option I am looking at is replacing the 18-55 with a Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 & then getting the Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6 for when I want to use zoom.

With budget of $1000 max, what would be the best lens to buy as a next step when I am mostly photographing landscapes, people & my woofa?

get the 18-200, its a tiny lens. about this long:

____________________________________________________________ eta :rofl: my lines didnt work

Most versitile lens and it is a standard walkabout and light. Can get for under 1000 :rofl:

Edited by rugerfly

I've got the 50mm 1.8 and haven't used it yet ........me such a slack person but there is a thread on DOL with lots of yummy closeup shots taken with it..........and also have the 18-200 - it's an awesome little lens for the money - not big at all or heavy!!!! I've taken lots of polo shots (horses galloping) with this lens can email you some pics I've taken with it I'm just soooo blonde with loading them onto DOL........and it's really good until I can afford the very expensive 70-200VR AFS 2.8 - can't wait for our house to sell so I can splurge on that one - so good for horse/dog sports - I can't wait!!!!!!

You could try and get the 18-200 secondhand - quite a few around - I bought mine on eBay with my D80 and love it and get the 50mm 1.8 as well!!!!! I'm good at spending other peoples money for them hey!!!!!! :)

Ok, so I rushed ahead & bought the Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 because reviews I have read seem to say it's a great portrait lens & am thinking I will also get the Nikon 50mm 1.8 as well.

The more I think about the zoom lens, I am most likely to be shooting either surf shots (was really wishing I had a zoom when we were at pipeline last year) or wildlife shots where the object is moving... so would need something faster. So think I will need to really save up for that one!

Ok, so I rushed ahead & bought the Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 because reviews I have read seem to say it's a great portrait lens & am thinking I will also get the Nikon 50mm 1.8 as well.

The more I think about the zoom lens, I am most likely to be shooting either surf shots (was really wishing I had a zoom when we were at pipeline last year) or wildlife shots where the object is moving... so would need something faster. So think I will need to really save up for that one!

You won't go wrong with the lens for portraits...

You could always go for the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 at around $1,000 which I use for the fast sports shots and it doesnt miss a beat.

+1 for the Sigma option, for sure. I have their 50-150 2.8 and it rocks, too. I have a couple of friends who adore their 70-200s by Sigma to bits.

Sigma does some lenses extremely well and they are usually priced well, too.

You're probably going to want something longer for surfing and stuff - our surf is very close to the beach and I often find I want even more reach than my 100-400 gives me on a 1.6 crop.

Have fun!!