If I Could Bottle A Heel Round - This Would Be It

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent' watched these vids yet, but Ptolomy - I dont' like watching yours!!! Makes me feel like my dogs suck at obedience :laugh: :D
I agree leopuppy and Ptolomy's rounds also make my handling look shitty as well :laugh: .

Wrong attitude girls - you should be using it as inspiration - to lift your game :thumbsup:

RubyStar I know how much hard work you put in prior to the Nationals and it definitely showed up in the standard of Ruby's performance :laugh: . Way to go.

Thanks :thumbsup: I was just so so thrilled that she stayed with me and didn't run off, which is what we had been training for leading up to the State/Nationals weekend. But when I received her score and then saw it on video, I was even more over the moon as it was just the icing on the cake that she gave me that much focus and attention! :laugh: Oh and it was the first (and only) time so far she didn't miss a position! :D

Terranik - I will watch the clip when I get home tonight.

What allergies does Jedi have, has he always had them and how do you treat them.

Does the treatment affect his performance or are the allergies enough to do that??

Just asking since Beans has allergies to the max and is on immunotherapy.

I am seriously starting to wonder if that isn't what is bothering Ness at the present time and why her performance at the last trial was more than average and why whenever I get her out to do something its like dragging a horse to water and trying to make them drink :rofl: .

No more emails with Jedi and Beans Ness :laugh: .

Edited by ness

Terranik - I will watch the clip when I get home tonight.

What allergies does Jedi have, has he always had them and how do you treat them.

Does the treatment affect his performance or are the allergies enough to do that??

Just asking since Beans has allergies to the max and is on immunotherapy.

He has atopic dermatitis... Not sure yet what exactly he's allergic to (we're working on it!). He's being shampooed with EPO every 4 days, EPO conditioner every day inbetween and EPO supplements and Livamol supplements. He has 10mg zyrtec daily. We're off to another vet this month so hopefully they might have a few more ideas. I really don't want to go down the steroids path (been there, done that with my beagle (ATB)).

You should see him heel now. I have a video of a recent trial where every time we came to a position in heel he would scratch and then I'd heel off and he'd be like, 'oh crap, she's gone already!' and he'd hurry up and get back into heel... But it would happen at every position. He can't do stays half the time because he scratches (which is why we failed the trial in the above vid)... It's just a nightmare. If it doesn't improve he will never be able to compete again.

That's why I can't compete with Diesel - he scratches every couple of minutes - can't even do a short training session without him scratching himself almost constantly :laugh:

Sounds familiar... Usually Jedi gets into the swing of things and forgets his allergies, but then there are days where he can't train because it's too distracting for him.

It's devastating because he's always had such potential and if I had to retire him at a measly 20 months of age that'd just kill me. :rofl:

Well you did better than me - we didn't make it into the ring :laugh: If I knew he was going to get allergies I would have given it a go before they got really bad. He has always been really easily distracted though, I couldn't get good focus in busy places.

Well you did better than me - we didn't make it into the ring :laugh: If I knew he was going to get allergies I would have given it a go before they got really bad. He has always been really easily distracted though, I couldn't get good focus in busy places.

That really sucks... I am grateful that we at least had one good trial.

Is EPO the answer????? Have you tried another shampoo?? We were put on Pyoderm S and malaseb for the feet. On bad days I upped the Zyrtec to one tablet morning and night.

I was also using Capstar during the warmer months as Beans is allergic to fleas. We started off on 3 x 1500mg fish oil per day and then changed to emu oil.

We have done it tough but managed to avoid the steroid path :laugh:

I havent' watched these vids yet, but Ptolomy - I dont' like watching yours!!! Makes me feel like my dogs suck at obedience :rofl::eek:
I agree leopuppy and Ptolomy's rounds also make my handling look shitty as well :laugh: .

Wrong attitude girls - you should be using it as inspiration - to lift your game ;)

:eek: Yep - it certainly is inspirational! One day.... one day :rofl:

Is EPO the answer????? Have you tried another shampoo?? We were put on Pyoderm S and malaseb for the feet. On bad days I upped the Zyrtec to one tablet morning and night.

I was also using Capstar during the warmer months as Beans is allergic to fleas. We started off on 3 x 1500mg fish oil per day and then changed to emu oil.

We have done it tough but managed to avoid the steroid path :laugh:

He was on Malaseb - it didn't help. We only just switched him to EPO last week and his red patches on his belly are now a pale pink so it's certainly helping with the inflammation, just not really helping with how itchy he is. He has never had fleas so I know it's not that. Right now we're just trying everything we can. When one thing doesn't work we switch to something else. I hope we have a good outcome like you have with Beans.

Edited by TerraNik

Intradermal allergy testing and immunotherapy injections really are the way to go with young dogs if you want to avoid cortisone.

I think it's that or Atopica- which are both as expensive as each other!

I've done a lot of reading about both. I think that's where we are heading...

I don't care how much it costs... I just want to make him more comfortable!!!!!! :laugh: