The Difference Between Supermarket Flea Squirt Ons And Advantage/front

I know that advantage and frontline are much more expensive flea/tick prevention treatments than the ones in the supermarket, and I'm assuming there is good reason for this, but can someone please explain it to me?

EDIT: I'm sure "squirt-on" is the technical term :thumbsup:

Edited by Pete.the.dog

I know that advantage and frontline are much more expensive flea/tick prevention treatments than the ones in the supermarket, and I'm assuming there is good reason for this, but can someone please explain it to me?

EDIT: I'm sure "squirt-on" is the technical term :thumbsup:

yes and it is entirely to do with the 'base' fluid used. Even Advantage has been known to cause dreadful reactions in some dogs due to a change in the base fluid. This is supposed to be a neutral fluid that holds the prevention chemicals but some of them can cause nasty abcess like sores on the neck. My pug had one that ended up the size of my fist and took 9 months to heal and regrow his neck hair. Check with your vet as to which one would be best for your dog.

it has to do with the product itself

Exelpet in the supermarket uses a permethrin, a synthetic pyrethrin (like in the daisy) which is HIGHLY toxic to cats but not dogs.

Things like Advantage use a compound called Imidacloprid which has low toxicity in most animals except insects. A more effective compound then synthetic pyrethrins which I refuse to use.

Edited by Nekhbet