To Clip Or Not To Clip...

Shoshana

I have a long haired, double coated dog, a Tibetan terrier who is 20 months old & has survived one Adelaide hot summer already. Her hair didn't seem to be quite as long then as it is now & also we are already having extremely hot weather - 41 degrees C tomorrow.

My problem is - should I clip her or shouldn't I? One day I think - yes definitely I'll book her in for a haircut & next day I'm not so sure. She is an inside dog most of the time but loves her daily walks & runs. I take her out early in the morning when it's still not too hot ( around 24 C), but I can't help feeling sorry for the poor thing panting like crazy after 15 minutes of walking & running in the park.

Any opinions welcome. :thumbsup:

post-24183-1258540811_thumb.jpg post-24183-1258540893_thumb.jpg

Double coated breeds arent meant to be clipped. Their coat insulates them ie keeps them cool in summer warm in winter, by clipping them you actually take that insulation away and their coats grow back very differently. If you ask me it's a bad idea. I have a double coated breed and her coat is long but extremely thick. She lays in a clamshell pool in and out most of the day, but she is inside with air conditioning most of the days. She's an inside dog but she does spend time outside during the day on the not as hot days.

Hi Shosanna,

In a nutshell - I would seriously consider having your doggies clipped (they are jsut gorgeous BTW :(:dancingelephant:)

Not sure where you are in Adelaide but if it works, I recommend Goldiesrgr8 - a DOLer and great groomer at The Spoilt Dog on Fullarton Road at Highgate. She takes great care and will be able to give you some really good advice - and it will be in your dogs interest, not hers. When I got my last westie rescue who has since become a foster failure, she decided his coat was too poor to do much with initially - so a tidy up was only in order last January. We've been gradually working up to a full westie clip all year as his coat has improved.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Westiemum :confused:

Thanks for your suggestions LucyCharzie & Westiemum. I actually have already made an appointment with "Spoilt Dog" in 2 weeks but am still in two minds ...

By the way, only the dog in the right picture is mine. Because Rosie looks like a monster in most photos I included a photo from Google images of what Tibetan terriers should look like

.post-24183-1258592620_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shoshana

I wouldnt clip because it wont make any difference.

TT survive in show coats daily with no issues at all.

Panting is how a dog cools it self & many people confuse this with suffering.

I have long coat show dogs & even when retired there never clipped off until elderly.

TT coats are so easy to maintain & the greater majority off breeders are in QLD where the heat is far more regular than what you experience .

There coats arent thick so when clipped it will look funny

How short will you clip??

I wouldnt clip because it wont make any difference.

TT survive in show coats daily with no issues at all.

Panting is how a dog cools it self & many people confuse this with suffering.

I have long coat show dogs & even when retired there never clipped off until elderly.

TT coats are so easy to maintain & the greater majority off breeders are in QLD where the heat is far more regular than what you experience .

There coats arent thick so when clipped it will look funny

How short will you clip??

I was thinking number 3? But after reading what you're saying I realize she would look even more ridiculous then she does now (refer to the picture below - that's Rosie in the car, in case you're wondering what's on the pic).

post-24183-1258582287_thumb.jpg

I live in Adelaide, and the heat is out of control.

From all I've read, you need to weigh up these two things: how important it is to you that you will know exactly how your pups fur will grow back, and how important it is to you that they are cool and comfortable right now.

For me, there was no debate, and Pete got a full clip, but I will point out he's a mut so his coat never really had a 'type'

Thinning out the fur is a possibility, I had that done at the groomers, not the cheapest thing either - and it offered pete essentially no relief - just my experience

EDIT: I can't spell.

EDIT 2: The spoilt dog is great, she will really talk to you about your dog and help you decide your options. The truth is they do look a little funny with the clip, but IMO that's not a good enough excuse to make them suffer in the heat

Edited by Pete.the.dog

Hi Shoshana,

I have TTs in Qld :laugh: The only time I recommend that owners clip their TTs is if the owners can't keep up with regular grooming. I hate seeing a matted messy uncomfortable dog.

Rosie looks just LOVELY - you seem to be doing a wonderful job with her coat! :laugh:

People forget that Tibet is very cold in Winter but is in fact a desert country reaching well into the 30 degrees during Summer - hot & dry. :laugh:

TTs are a double coated breed meaning they have INSULATION from both the cold AND the heat. :)

All that said, make the decision that you want to but Rosie *won't* look like a TT if you clip her :shrug:

IMHO, save the grooming money and use it to buy Rosie a cool coat, a nice big ice pack and stuff her favourite treats into a Kong Ball in the freezer. :rofl:

From all I've read, you need to weigh up these two things: how important it is to you that you will know exactly how your pups fur will grow back, and how important it is to you that they are cool and comfortable right now.

You also need to look at whether clipping WILL make the dog cooler. You dont' see people running around in extreme heat with no clothes on. You don't see desert mammals with no fur. Why do people assume that denuding a dog of natural coat will automatically make them cooler?

Dogs do not generally lose much heat through their body skin. They loose it through panting and to a lesser degree through their hairless areas.

A coat protects from sun and can keep the heat from penetrating to the skin. Frankly many pet dogs I've seen could do with losing weight, not fur to stay cooler.

Edited by poodlefan

You also need to look at whether clipping WILL make the dog cooler. You dont' see people running around in extreme heat with no clothes on. You don't see desert mammals with no fur. Why do people assume that denuding a dog of natural coat will automatically make them cooler?

Dogs do not generally lose much heat through their body skin. They loose it through panting and to a lesser degree through their hairless areas.

A coat protects from sun and can keep the heat from penetrating to the skin. Frankly many pet dogs I've seen could do with losing weight, not fur to stay cooler.

Well I'd be listening to poodlefan over me anyday :rofl: She has a million years more experience than me :laugh:

Pete has a beautiful figure - I just wish he'd teach me his secrets :laugh:

Well I'd be listening to poodlefan over me anyday :laugh: She has a million years more experience than me :laugh:

Pete has a beautiful figure - I just wish he'd teach me his secrets :laugh:

Bear in mind Pete that I clip my poodles entire bodies :rofl: I think a well groomed long haired dog doesn't need clipping unless it doesn't shed. Regular grooming to remove dead undercoat is all most double coated breeds need and single coated long haired breeds need their coat for protection.

keep her inside and get a cool coat or a cool mat and plenty of cool water and opportunity to urinate (another method of removing heat from the body)

I would rather that then changing her already beautifully maintained coat. OK so she doesnt get to run around, do some mind games inside the house and just put your foot down :laugh:

Bear in mind Pete that I clip my poodles entire bodies :laugh: I think a well groomed long haired dog doesn't need clipping unless it doesn't shed. Regular grooming to remove dead undercoat is all most double coated breeds need and single coated long haired breeds need their coat for protection.

Peter doesn't shed. I kept waiting for him to lose his coat in the heat, but as yet I'm still waiting...

Bear in mind Pete that I clip my poodles entire bodies :laugh: I think a well groomed long haired dog doesn't need clipping unless it doesn't shed. Regular grooming to remove dead undercoat is all most double coated breeds need and single coated long haired breeds need their coat for protection.

Peter doesn't shed. I kept waiting for him to lose his coat in the heat, but as yet I'm still waiting...

Does the length of his coat just keep growing PTD?

Yup, It was really long about 4 months ago and I clipped it because was just too hard for me to maintain! It's wavy, thick and wooly

Yup, It was really long about 4 months ago and I clipped it because was just too hard for me to maintain! It's wavy, thick and wooly

It looks wirey in your avatar. Have you got a close up shot. "Wavy, thick and wooly" sounds like poodle coat.

It looks wirey in your avatar. Have you got a close up shot. "Wavy, thick and wooly" sounds like poodle coat.

He had/has a few wirey hairs along his back, but I'd say he's about 97% wooly, sorry I'm at work, these are probably the best I've got - all are him clipped

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?act=...t&id=195273

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?act=...t&id=195274

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?act=...t&id=195276

this one shows what I mean about the wiry at the top:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?act=...t&id=179098

(p.s. sorry for overtaking the topic :laugh: )

Edited by Pete.the.dog

Go for it. You may love the look & the dog won't care about its hair style.

If you don't like it it will grow back.

Cutting or clipping hair does not ruin the coat. It does not affect the hair follicle from which the hair grows so it will grow back just fine if you don't like it. Nice quick baths & grooms for summer.

Post a pic if you have it done :laugh:

He had/has a few wirey hairs along his back, but I'd say he's about 97% wooly, sorry I'm at work, these are probably the best I've got - all are him clipped

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?act=...t&id=195273

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?act=...t&id=195274

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?act=...t&id=195276

this one shows what I mean about the wiry at the top:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?act=...t&id=179098

(p.s. sorry for overtaking the topic :laugh: )

Any opinions on the pics poodlefan??