Thinking Of Changing Kibble

raffikki

I feed Artemis and actually find it quite economical - a little bit goes a long way for us. I see people with very similar breeds of the same age and they feed twice as much Royal Canin as I do Artemis, for example. I admit that's something I didn't originally consider beyond reading that with premium brands you don't need to feed as much, but I didn't think about differences within premium brands

Never had any issues with palatability, but then again, I've never had Gypsy refuse to eat anything, so maybe not the most discerning of taste buds :love:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

First time on forum but I have been looking for a good allergy sensitive dry dog food for my staffy LizzyBabe.

I contacted Eagle Pack and Artemis and Eagle Pack sent me some samples to try first :love: - still waiting on sample from Artemis and this was before Christmas :(

I read on some American forum that Natural Choice was causing serious health problems even death in cats.

Lizzy is on raw meat and vegetable diet as well - vegetables are chunky not minced.

I will probably try Eagle Pack as she has had no problems with the samples - her allergy is grass I think :confused:

It really is a case of reading all the ingredients - sucrose (sugar) is definitely a NO NO as it could make dogs hyper and as staffy owners know their babies are hyper enough :rofl:

Will keep reading with interest

Jenny and Lizzy Babe

Nutro Natural Choice is made in Aust. the rice is monsoonal rain fed crops from Thialand.

I use this for 6 months and then swap over to Eagle pack.

You do occasionaly here about recalls usually from products that are made o.s.

I use chicken or fish as the main ingredient as red meat brings mine out in hives.

They also get chicken carcass, sardines and salmon.

I feed Artemis and actually find it quite economical - a little bit goes a long way for us. I see people with very similar breeds of the same age and they feed twice as much Royal Canin as I do Artemis, for example. I admit that's something I didn't originally consider beyond reading that with premium brands you don't need to feed as much, but I didn't think about differences within premium brands

Never had any issues with palatability, but then again, I've never had Gypsy refuse to eat anything, so maybe not the most discerning of taste buds :love:

Another vote for Artemis here, my staff gets just as excited over it as he does raw!!!! Ingredients are second to none, its economical & coat looks nice and shiny.

I am really happy with how we are going with the Artemis, to the point I have joined the breeders program, and have moved a few other of my dogs on to it.

The dogs love it, their condition is improving each week, and I dont have anyone with left overs in the morning.

The breeders program, you have to buy 2 bags at a time, and for me there is a $15 postage fee, but that is fine by me because you get 18kg bags for less than I could buy 13kg bags online.

I am really happy with how we are going with the Artemis, to the point I have joined the breeders program, and have moved a few other of my dogs on to it.

The dogs love it, their condition is improving each week, and I dont have anyone with left overs in the morning.

The breeders program, you have to buy 2 bags at a time, and for me there is a $15 postage fee, but that is fine by me because you get 18kg bags for less than I could buy 13kg bags online.

Pity I'm not a breeder. :love:

Never had any issues with palatability, but then again, I've never had Gypsy refuse to eat anything, so maybe not the most discerning of taste buds :mad

Thats interesting- I was having to feed Honey 1.5 cups of Royan Canin (GR formula) twice a day- double what the packet recommended. A small bag doesn't last long that way. :(

She kept losing weight too but I put this down to the fact I take her running every day and she was a little overweight to start. The GR formula mentions weight management (apparently Goldies need that :happydance2: ) so that probably wasnt appropriate for her really.

Aside from that it is good but I'd rather pay more to feed her less. :)

Never had any issues with palatability, but then again, I've never had Gypsy refuse to eat anything, so maybe not the most discerning of taste buds :mad

Thats interesting- I was having to feed Honey 1.5 cups of Royan Canin (GR formula) twice a day- double what the packet recommended. A small bag doesn't last long that way. :(

She kept losing weight too but I put this down to the fact I take her running every day and she was a little overweight to start. The GR formula mentions weight management (apparently Goldies need that :happydance2: ) so that probably wasnt appropriate for her really.

Aside from that it is good but I'd rather pay more to feed her less. :)

If Honey is really active, she may be better off on a Power or Working Dog formula Dee Lee. They have higher fat content.

Thats interesting- I was having to feed Honey 1.5 cups of Royan Canin (GR formula) twice a day- double what the packet recommended. A small bag doesn't last long that way. :eek:

Aside from that it is good but I'd rather pay more to feed her less. :(

If Honey is really active, she may be better off on a Power or Working Dog formula Dee Lee. They have higher fat content.

She's not naturally active, I'm just a tough mum. :)

I do agree, atm I'm feeding her more to keep her condition up and I want to get something more appropriate.

I was looking at the general formula Royal Canin (assuming it isnt as low fat as the GR), but now I'm curious about Artemis. I just dont know much about it.

i do like eagle pack but am having the same problem as others in that Oberon seems starving on it. he has atleast one extra cup than the feeding guide says to feed and he would eat more again if i let him. We're going to try Artemis to see whether we can feed less and have in more satisfied.

Never had any issues with palatability, but then again, I've never had Gypsy refuse to eat anything, so maybe not the most discerning of taste buds :thumbsup:

She kept losing weight too but I put this down to the fact I take her running every day and she was a little overweight to start. The GR formula mentions weight management (apparently Goldies need that :rofl: ) so that probably wasnt appropriate for her really.

Aside from that it is good but I'd rather pay more to feed her less. :(

If you google, the website will come up for Artemis if you want more information. Also, if you search DOL there have been threads done before discussing it.

I feed Gypsy 1.5 cups (200g) a day in 2 meals of 3/4 cup (+ treats when we're training of course but she only gets tiny little treats, so that would only be another 1/3 cup max.)

Granted, she's not an adult yet and it will probably increase, but she's been on the same amount since 3 months and is now 6.5 months old and she's the perfect weight for her age.

Feeding guidelines for Artemis are HERE and look pretty good to me - Gypsy is about 22-23kg and they recommend 1.5-2 cups per day. You might end up still feeding 3 cups a day, but it might suit her better so she doesn't lose weight

Edited by Serket

If you google, the website will come up for Artemis if you want more information. Also, if you search DOL there have been threads done before discussing it.

I feed Gypsy 1.5 cups (200g) a day in 2 meals of 3/4 cup (+ treats when we're training of course but she only gets tiny little treats, so that would only be another 1/3 cup max.)

Granted, she's not an adult yet and it will probably increase, but she's been on the same amount since 3 months and is now 6.5 months old and she's the perfect weight for her age.

Feeding guidelines for Artemis are HERE and look pretty good to me - Gypsy is about 22-23kg and they recommend 1.5-2 cups per day. You might end up still feeling 3 cups a day, but it might suit her better so she doesn't lose weight

Thanks Serket, had a look and it does sound more cost effective, not to mention the raves about it on DOL are very convincing. I will give it a shot.