Obedience Competitors

we only had 1-2 dogs 'stay' in our novice stays on the weekend. Can't blame them though coz of the heat :)

Quite common for dogs to break stays and I feel their pain because both of mine have broken their stays and become serial 'stay breakers' particularly Leo... all my fault though.

Most don't go up to other dogs... they usually just lie down or stand :thumbsup:

Seen plenty break in Novice AND Open - it's how we won most of our classes. Last dog standing (or sitting, or dropping...)

Never seen a dog break and approach another dog though. Most just wander over to their owners (Novice) or get stopped by a steward (Open)

I have seen quite a few break novice stays. I can remember one small fluffy dog breaking and mounting my deaf dally bitch in the drop stays in under the old rules where there was no CCD. She didn't break but I still wish I had been able to take a photo as her expression was priceless.

Dogs breaking stays and going over to other dogs is one of my biggest fears! My girl is very reactive and really doesn't like other dogs being in her space, I am always worried that if another dog comes up to her and pesters her she might have a go at it. I withdrew her from stays on Saturday night and was soo glad I did, the dog she would have been next too broke the sit stay and went over to greet every other dog doing the stays, it just worries me soo much!

The worst stays I have seen was when a Toller broke, said hello and made every dog get up along the way, my dog was one of the few in the other direction to where the Toller went.

IMO a dog who can;t be trusted with other dogs if approached in the stay shouldn;t be in the trial as it will happen eventually

The worst stays I have seen was when a Toller broke, said hello and made every dog get up along the way, my dog was one of the few in the other direction to where the Toller went.

IMO a dog who can;t be trusted with other dogs if approached in the stay shouldn;t be in the trial as it will happen eventually

To be the devil's advocate here just a bit, it is also my opinion that a dog that can't be trusted to stay shouldn't be trialled either. I see some dogs that do it every single trial and I just don't get why it keeps getting entered if it can't stay still.

One of my big fears is a dog moving and standing over my Whippet. It wouldn't take much to get her unhappy and insecure if a dog was at all aggressive or standing over her.

She has moved once by dropping from a sit, but never gone to another dog. If she did I would stop and re-train.

I agree if a dog is consistantly moving, remove it and re-train. If it was my dog who moved and disturbed another I would be extremely embaressed and apologetic. But I would never enter her if I though she was going to do that.

Skye was a serial offender in novice stays, though not to interfere, just break position or walk to me. We seem to have fixed that now (though rest of it is broken now). Reason why she was in them, is she wasnt breaking in practice. Other dogs breaking generally one or two, though i would say only a minority interfered directly with another.

Beck has never broken but has gone dead dog twice on really hot days. Having said that i rarely put him in the stays and wont if i know there is a problem dog there, case in point the other week i pulled him from afternoon stays as in morning trial a number of dogs had broken and physically interfered with others. Going back a few years he had a history of fear agression but have to say when other dogs have interfered with him (he seems to attract them) he has ignored (just looks at me pleadingly) and i do trust him in stays.

I can understand people entering if like skye it appears to be trial specific fault, having said that a few owners need to be more considerate. I have had a dog stand over Beck growling at him. Beck didnt move. Judge/steward didnt move. And to add insult when i returned i didnt walk around beck and the other dog but opted to go direct to becks right side, fearing my pushing between them could inflame the situation, i got told off by judge, then other dogs owner told me its a good job my dog didnt react to his as she would have kicked his butt just like she did a rotties the previous week. I dropped obedience after that figuring it wasnt worth the potential grief.

Dogs breaking stays and going over to other dogs is one of my biggest fears! My girl is very reactive and really doesn't like other dogs being in her space, I am always worried that if another dog comes up to her and pesters her she might have a go at it. I withdrew her from stays on Saturday night and was soo glad I did, the dog she would have been next too broke the sit stay and went over to greet every other dog doing the stays, it just worries me soo much!

My dog is exactly the same, it is the one thing stopping me from trialing at this point. I need the reassurance that someone is going grab the offending dog and have them under control in a flash.

I don't think it's fair to say that dogs like ours shouldn't compete. What if our dogs are the ones with the good stays who don't break them and then end up having another dog interfer with our dog.....

Why don't stewarts get their butts there pronto?

Edited by sas