Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

There is a lot of Parvo in Midland, there was an article on it in our local paper..... :rofl:

There was a Rottweiler with suspected parvo when I was at the vet on Wednesday :) . That was Midland area to.

Parvo last week in the Bunbury Pound too :rofl:

There is a lot of Parvo in Midland, there was an article on it in our local paper..... :rofl:

There was a Rottweiler with suspected parvo when I was at the vet on Wednesday :rofl: . That was Midland area to.

Parvo last week in the Bunbury Pound too :rofl:

:) I know I should probably know this already, but is Parvo a seasonal thing??

Nasty that its rearing its ugly head around the place!

Rat

Hmm note to self to pack rainjackets for tomorrow - just in case any of the kids are on a pass and need to do stays :rofl:

Can we do stays under a gazebo? :rofl: That's even if I make it to stays! Ruby doesn't have a rain jacket. If she did, she'd need one with a hood too, the big wuss....

Just got Mason's raincoat in the mail today, he is so funny though as he wont move when he is wearing it he freezes, if I let him wear it for stays it would be cheating :)

:rofl: Can I borrow it? :rofl:

More than welcome, of course we would need to be in a class where stand stays are necessary because with a jacket on he mostly wants to stand ....... :rofl:

Hmm note to self to pack rainjackets for tomorrow - just in case any of the kids are on a pass and need to do stays :rofl:

Can we do stays under a gazebo? :rofl: That's even if I make it to stays! Ruby doesn't have a rain jacket. If she did, she'd need one with a hood too, the big wuss....

Just got Mason's raincoat in the mail today, he is so funny though as he wont move when he is wearing it he freezes, if I let him wear it for stays it would be cheating :rofl:

:rofl: Can I borrow it? :rofl:

More than welcome, of course we would need to be in a class where stand stays are necessary because with a jacket on he mostly wants to stand ....... :rofl:

Sounds like it could be the cure for my Stand for Exam problem :rofl:

She's getting better at them, though - fingers crossed she can pull one out for me on the weekend :)

Guest RosieFT

Labrat - we have been recording it for my kids (5 and 7) and they love it - glued to the tv. They are strange children, love all those eyewitness shows too. I am amazed with how much they can absorb from it.

hope it doesn't rain too much for you guys!

RS - if you go camping remember it will be cold... rosie needed a dog coat when we were down in Bremer Bay in December! but she really feels the cold and it was FREEZING at night time down there.

Rubystar, I think generally breeders are fairly experienced in working out who is genuine and know what they are talking about, and who is not. I totally agree with you, though, and I see myself asking them the questions should they approach me asking for full papers. I dont think it is too difficult to work out the suss ones because I think they usually give themselves away at some point (however I can see there would be a lot of people out there who have done enough research to pull the wool over even the most experienced breeders eyes as well).

Yep, even some fellow dog people can't always be trusted to do the right thing, so no matter how well we think we know someone always be careful even those you think you have known for years. Not meaning you Rubystar ;) , just that I have been burn't by a couple of people in the dog world who I was foolish enough to trust. I can understand where your comming from, because you know yourself and know you are a good person but the breeder still has to play it safe as they don't know you as well as you do. :D

Personally I would love to be able to take most people at their word, but the few ratbags do spoil it for everyone, and they are on both sides of the fence breeders and buyers so both parties have to be careful.

If anyone has the ideal solution I would love to hear it but until then we have to settle for a less than ideal situation in order to protect ourselves and the dogs. There are alot of expectations put on responsiable breeders too, so we have to take into account that our responsiablity to our pups does not stop when they go to their new homes. While I'm willing to take back one of mine and rehome it the last thing I want is getting a bitch back with a litter of who knows what pups, because the person bred from it and then decided it was all too hard when the litter of pups is and pooing and peeing and chewing up their home. Just one possiable scenario.

It's great getting everyone's opinions though as it gives us all other perspectives to consider, and everyone is keeping it friendly with is good. :laugh:

There is a lot of Parvo in Midland, there was an article on it in our local paper..... :laugh:

There was a Rottweiler with suspected parvo when I was at the vet on Wednesday ;) . That was Midland area to.

Parvo last week in the Bunbury Pound too :p

:D I know I should probably know this already, but is Parvo a seasonal thing??

Rat

Yes but is it Parvo or something else?

Just a warning - not sure it is actually Parvo or a variation of it but a fully vaccinated 6 month old pet pup in the Armadale/Brookdale area has just been dreadfully ill with a haemorrhagic gastro-enteritis which started last Sunday - onset of symptoms was rapid and progressive (less than 24 hrs from looking a bit lethargic to catastrophically sick) - They nearly lost him and he is still in hospital.

It was very sudden onset after his owner had been playing with a litter of 6 week old puppies across the road, which became ill just before the 6 month old and one pup from the litter died just before the half-grown pup showed signs of illness. Apparently the dam of the litter was allowed to frequent a nearby park and could have transmitted the pathogen back home to the litter.

Two blood tests for Parvo in the sick 6 month old dog were negative but apparently Parvo was found in a poo sample - although one Vet commented that as Parvo is endemic in the dog population anyway a positive sample could be expected. Normally the presence of Parvo virus does not cause disease or creates only mild symptoms in vaccinated dogs.

Whatever the infective agent is - corona virus/ a mutated Parvo virus or something else, it is really, really bad news.

Be careful. Make sure all vaccinations are up to date - although that didn't help in the case of the older pup.

There was a Rottweiler with suspected parvo when I was at the vet on Wednesday :rofl: . That was Midland area to.

Parvo last week in the Bunbury Pound too :eek:

:rofl: I know I should probably know this already, but is Parvo a seasonal thing??

Rat

Yes but is it Parvo or something else?

Just a warning - not sure it is actually Parvo or a variation of it but a fully vaccinated 6 month old pet pup in the Armadale/Brookdale area has just been dreadfully ill with a haemorrhagic gastro-enteritis which started last Sunday - onset of symptoms was rapid and progressive (less than 24 hrs from looking a bit lethargic to catastrophically sick) - They nearly lost him and he is still in hospital.

It was very sudden onset after his owner had been playing with a litter of 6 week old puppies across the road, which became ill just before the 6 month old and one pup from the litter died just before the half-grown pup showed signs of illness. Apparently the dam of the litter was allowed to frequent a nearby park and could have transmitted the pathogen back home to the litter.

Two blood tests for Parvo in the sick 6 month old dog were negative but apparently Parvo was found in a poo sample - although one Vet commented that as Parvo is endemic in the dog population anyway a positive sample could be expected. Normally the presence of Parvo virus does not cause disease or creates only mild symptoms in vaccinated dogs.

Whatever the infective agent is - corona virus/ a mutated Parvo virus or something else, it is really, really bad news.

Be careful. Make sure all vaccinations are up to date - although that didn't help in the case of the older pup.

I heard of a similar if not the same thing, my friend lost 3 dogs to the same thing in the space of about 3-4 months..

Story was he had older rott x and they got a baby rott, both get sick, old dog passes first, then baby. So they wait a few weeks, get a new rott x and loose that within a month. It was never confirmed as parvo, but another disease. Odd thing was, his partners 6 month old pug reguarly interacted with all these dogs and never got ill....

They also got told Rotts, are more susceptable (sp?) to Parvo or parvo like disease, first i had heard of it!!!

I liked Mason's Mum, why the change?? :rofl: Are you disowning him!

No I am just trying to keep it a bit more anonymous as I was asking a lot of questions etc regarding vets and health issues.

They also got told Rotts, are more susceptable (sp?) to Parvo or parvo like disease, first i had heard of it!!!

Yep very true,also the same in Labs ,i think its the blacks who are more predisposed.it does also affect a few other breeds but Rottis seem to cope it the most

MM Tobys foot has ended up the same as Masons! Just his right fore but he has licked it red raw. Did you put any cream on Mason or just antihistamines?

He was given anti-histamines, cortisone and I was told to wash him in Malaseb and use a leave on conditioner on him, in all honesty I probably should have just gone and gotten him an anti-histamine from the pharmacy as they have changed his food now to to Hills ZD and it doesnt agree with him. I would just try an anti-histamine for a few days, maybe try a non-drowsy one.

Some people also suggested using a baby sock on the foot, I didnt bother as he had 3 with raw patches

Edited by Mas1981

Did I read the retrieving trials are going to held at Arthur River??? If it is, then yes make sure you bring down lots of warm clothing!!

Is it much of a spectator sport?? I only ask as we dont live toooo far away, and it would be good to see another dog sport happening!

VCBR - I think SparkyTansy is right! By the look of last nights weather map I dont think any amount of prayers will help :rofl: :rofl:

Speaking of weather - has anyone been watching the program on the ABC about the planets? Last night was all about Jupiter. What an amazing place that is!

Rat

LabRat, retrieving is a spectator sport, but, there are times that the runs are held in dense terrain making the job of having a spectator gallery with a full view of the run, almost impossible. On most runs the judge will try to have the run visible to spectators for the majority of the run. Often the spectators can see much more than the handler on the block. Also, as a spectator, it depends on whether you enjoy seeing a dog work with the instinct of its gundog breed. To me, seeing a dog with spectacular drive to retrieve, and one that will stop to the whistle at 150metres and take direction from the handler, is nothing short of amazing. The dogs absolutely love doing it and it is very obvious.

If you do want to come along it will be at Carbadine Pool, down Noble Road off Albany Hwy. and on private property. Bring a chair and refreshments. You may bring a dog, but it must be restrained, and be very quiet while the dogs are competing.

Did I read the retrieving trials are going to held at Arthur River??? If it is, then yes make sure you bring down lots of warm clothing!!

Is it much of a spectator sport?? I only ask as we dont live toooo far away, and it would be good to see another dog sport happening!

VCBR - I think SparkyTansy is right! By the look of last nights weather map I dont think any amount of prayers will help :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Speaking of weather - has anyone been watching the program on the ABC about the planets? Last night was all about Jupiter. What an amazing place that is!

Rat

LabRat, retrieving is a spectator sport, but, there are times that the runs are held in dense terrain making the job of having a spectator gallery with a full view of the run, almost impossible. On most runs the judge will try to have the run visible to spectators for the majority of the run. Often the spectators can see much more than the handler on the block. Also, as a spectator, it depends on whether you enjoy seeing a dog work with the instinct of its gundog breed. To me, seeing a dog with spectacular drive to retrieve, and one that will stop to the whistle at 150metres and take direction from the handler, is nothing short of amazing. The dogs absolutely love doing it and it is very obvious.

If you do want to come along it will be at Carbadine Pool, down Noble Road off Albany Hwy. and on private property. Bring a chair and refreshments. You may bring a dog, but it must be restrained, and be very quiet while the dogs are competing.

I hope I don't get lost!!! What time do the campers usually arrive on the Friday?

Thanks Ptolomy, I was a bit surprised at the win. He did very well but I thought others may have been up there too. Whiz also won restricted so is now out of that stake, not that she is really up to AA yet. Did Zoe tell you about the drama yesterday and how brave she and H.E. were ? Pretty scary !