Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Now I can't log in by Longdog!! Aaaaarhhhh! I will try again!!!

Rubystar, please don't change your name - everyone know you as Rubystar!! I must have missed a box tick somewhere. I'll go back now and do it again.

Longdog (formerly Rubstar) :(

Amypie - Earth dog trials?? Mind you, SHE would think she is up to any scent trial even with the BIG dogs.

Longdog, hehehe :(

In Earth Dog trials the dog goes down a man made tunnel to find quarry (a dummy animal I'm pretty sure) and when it finds it it has to scratch and bark and alert it's handler. You can get titles. Not sure exactly how it's judged though. I wish we had it. Kyzer would be good, I got woken up with a huge kerfuffle at 6am this morning because he had cornered a mouse but couldn't reach it (it was in an old dog food bucket that had some crumbs in it)

Only certain dogs can do Earth Dog, mostly terriers and Daxies :(

marconibusterfalse.jpg

ETA: Here's a US Dachshund club site that has info on earth dog trials and also photos

http://vegasdachshundclub.com/earth_dogs.htm

Edited by amypie

Amypie - thanks for the link! OMG Ruby would just LOVE that!

We have mouse issues as well, she has recently killed about 5. After each kill she just walks away and ignores it. Your dogs look gorgeous. Do you take them in trials? The good thing with foxy/jr is that they are more sturdier than dachshunds. We had a mini-foxy/jack russell for 16years (before Ruby). She was such a little lady - much too refined to hunt and kill (or so she thought). Dachshunds tend to throw themselves (often literally) at challenges which can be hard on their backs and little legs.

Maybe we should get something going re earth dogs???

Rubystar - Haha...yes, Ruby wasn't a common name 5 years ago. I'm a teacher and now I have a Ruby in nearly every class!! It was my Grandmother's name (on my father's side) and my little jack russell/mini foxy (before Ruby) was called Elsie (after my GreatAunt). I still have Beryl and Muriel to use (which were their second names). My mother was horrified but I can't think of a better compliment.

Longdog

:p Beryl for a dog, love it :cheer:

I was going to name my girl Bella, even though I knew that was very popular, it's just that 12 years + ago when I was desperate for a Lab, that is what I wanted to call her. It got very popular since then. So I used Ruby instead. Don't think you'd get much competition for Beryl :D Or Ethel or Doris or Mavis :cheer:

post-34274-1271136004_thumb.jpg

Now I've got the hang of it, you may not be able to stop me!! :D

Here she is in sitting pose but, not that happy, as she was waiting for liver treats AND having to sit on hall table (so I didn't hav to lie on my tummy). Not impressed but okay about it all after she got the treats.

Longdog

Amypie - sorry I thought your dogs were jr/mini foxies but I see they are not! I love the black/tan colour of Trixie, is that normal colouring? I can see they would also be good at earth hunt trials - they have that look in their eye!!

Edited by Longdog

Longdog looks like my Lexi

Well we have arrived in Sydney and driving is a nightmare - between Bedazzled and me we have no sense of direction whatsoever. We took a run to the showgrounds in preparation for tomorrow and what should have been a 30 minute round trip - took us 2 hours ;) Still hopefully we now have it sussed for tomorrow, oh and tolls suck! $3.80 for about a 1km trip.

Last night we trained at the Hills Club - which is really well run. We managed to do some open and UD training and wouldn;t you know it - both boys worked like a charm :D

Vettinng is between 6-7am tomorrow, competiting will go all day and then we fly out first thing Thursday morning. So will next post from Brisbane.

Cider is on the menu for tonight :p :cheer: :cheer:

PS - Zoe has trimmed Ciders ears and has her retrieving doekkens - :rofl: Thanks Mate!

naww, Amy, thankyou. That is really lovely to hear. The number of people at obedience who used to refer to her with phrases like "uh oh, here comes that crazy foxie!" I would say, 'she is not like this at home!" .. answered with nods and smiles. Meanwhile it didn't matter that their dogs were not perfectly behaved. Ahh well. Won't try that again!

Thanks again Amy. :p

I think that the people in my obedience class must say the same thing about me 'here comes that lady with the hyper lab who charges through class to get to his friend on the other side" :D

:p Beryl for a dog, love it :cheer:

I was going to name my girl Bella, even though I knew that was very popular, it's just that 12 years + ago when I was desperate for a Lab, that is what I wanted to call her. It got very popular since then. So I used Ruby instead. Don't think you'd get much competition for Beryl :D Or Ethel or Doris or Mavis :cheer:

My one vets name is Beryl :rofl:

Gorgeous Dacchy! Welcome Longdog :p

I have a friend with two long haired Dacchys and they are just delightful, sooo entertaining :D

My friend had one of each type and they were very sweet, they got away with murder though, the goldies would get into trouble if they were naughty and were made to sleep outside but Peanut and Penny slept inside on their beds. Peanut has passed away since then, he had a tumour on the spine that paralysed him the poor thing :cheer:

Gorgeous Dacchy! Welcome Longdog :D

I have a friend with two long haired Dacchys and they are just delightful, sooo entertaining :thumbsup:

My friend had one of each type and they were very sweet, they got away with murder though, the goldies would get into trouble if they were naughty and were made to sleep outside but Peanut and Penny slept inside on their beds. Peanut has passed away since then, he had a tumour on the spine that paralysed him the poor thing :rofl:

Yes unfortunately my friends spoil their two rotten! They are their children and the dogs rule the house with an iron paw!

One has back issues (even though young) but the hubby can't help himself, he keeps on feeding her treats etc all the time ;)

Killing her with kindness :(

They are very entertaining to watch though and so full of character! :)

Guest RosieFT

RS- how badly do you want that agility pass? the rain has just hit us over here .. and it is pretty windy too... ugh.

What are they going to do if it's cancelled, they can't keep everyone down, there will be too many people next term, Surely if you are stewarding at the States or Nationals you would get special dispensation? Well let's hope so :thumbsup: