Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Guest RosieFT

So went for a walk today, drove to oval with the 'hills' for rosie to her thing.. but first i give her a walk around the outside.. all of a sudden i see 2 dogs charging towards us from the other side.. one of which is a rather athletic looking GSD . Now i like to believe i am not breedist, but when a large dog is charging at you, it is a *touch* more intimidating than if a poodle was... i popped rosie on her lead,took her toy from her and waited for impact. Luckily both were friendly, but i was not impressed at owner. Anyhoo, walked away and they followed. Finally realised that there was NO owner and i now had 3 dogs on my walk!!

So instead of doing hills i walked round and round waiting/hoping someone would appear.. but no. I also don't walk with a phone since it is a sony ericson and too damed big for my pocket of my loose cotton shorts. ugh. I didnt know what to do. Neitehr had a name tag, but one had a council tag. Eventually a man came walking past and i had to ask him if he would mind ringing the ranger.. so he walked home to do so - yet another one with no phone. So i discover how strong a GSD can be when another regular appears in her car and lets her mastiff and mini poodle out to just run up to us. yay. arm almost gets pulled out of socket with GSD.

At this point i am late for getting home so my husband can go to work, annoyed that i am always the one to find loose dogs...and wondering why i can't just look the other way like most people i know!! But the oval is very close to high road and i wouldn't forgive myself if dogs got squashed.

I couldn't take them to vet to be scanned as i didnt really want to put 2 dogs i didnt know in a car with mine. Again, i have done so when i have found ONE , SMALL dog.. but the GSD although friendly, seemed to get very intense when i let rosie off to run. It was a youngish dog i think.

Anyway, ranger finally came. I felt bad for getting ranger. but the small dog had a council tag so he can get hold of owner hopefully. Ranger was funny though, just lowered the tail gate on the ute and asked small dog to jump in.. dog just cowered and went to run off.. so i called it and held it. So ranger goes, hmm maybe if big dog gets in first the little one will follow.. here, up. At this point i am still holding the shep's collar and noat about to let go. so i walk it over to car and tell it hup and it jumps in.. then I get small dog and pick it up and put it in. ?!?!?!? at no point did he put a lead on them, or hold them... ?!?!? i am sure little dog would have run. not sure about shep.

is that normal? thought it odd LOL

so, what do you guys carry your phones in??? my old small phone was great for pockets...

Edited by RosieFT

Congrats Ptolomy on all your wins! Your kids are a joy to watch and with what I did manage to see of Cider last night - WOWSERS!!! She is certainly is a special one and I can't wait to see her special babies :D

I had my 2 girls in the challenge last night in Open. Ruby passed, but in usual Ruby fashion, she got through with all her added quirks to the routine. A scratch mid heelwork, a sniff of the figure 8 post, pounced on the dumbell and made it roll further before managing to pick it up :laugh: These days I am just happy for her to get through with a waggy tail and happy face, and that she does!! She even did her stays, but was clearly stressed when I returned to her from the sit stay. I thought the down stay wasn't going to hold because she was stressed, but the good girl stayed!

Milliemoo did some very nice ringwork (bar a piece in the heelwork, had a bit of a sniff). First time ever though, she dropped in her sit stay, so I'm not quite sure what is up with that!

I just squash my iPhone in my pockets, I take it with as I have fallen over with Gibbs on a number of occasions ( he now wears a gentle leader though) and I'm scared if I really get hurt and can't walk I will lay there for who knows how long. But saying that hope I never crush the phone if I fall coz then it would be useless anyway!!

Guest RosieFT

Thanks Amy..

i know it is hard for owners to get dogs out as they have to pay fine etc. so do try to avoid it and in the past have had different dogs here whilst i tried to find owners.. but get sick and tired of people just sayin.. 'oh suchnsuch ALWAYS gets out!' not much thanks and no bloody tag on the dog!!! have had a couple of very grateful people though. ANdrew doesn't understand how i always get them, he says he NEVER sees stray dogs .. LOL.

They were having a lovely time, and i recognised the small dog as did the other guy.. but noone knew where they were from. Hope they get hold of owners ok.

Guest RosieFT

I guess I base it on, 'what if it was rosie that got out?' what would I want someone to do.

MG - yeah these shorts have shallow pockets.. looks like i need new shorts or a bag of somesort!

Edited by RosieFT

RS it seems that the labs like to have a sniff lol coz Mason is very much the same. I think I'm hanging up masons obedience paws for awhile, he doesnt seem to want to work so I can't be bothered trying to make him. It's not only n the ring he has changed he has changed a lot personality wise so I'm just giving him some time.

True - I hope that if my dogs get out they get taken to the pound - because that's the first place I'd look, fees or not.

Unlike most people, I don't think I would have to worry about anyone 'keeping' my dogs :rofl:

I guess I base it on, 'what if it was rosie that got out?' what would I want someone to do.

MG - yeah these shorts have shallow pockets.. looks like i need new shorts or a bag of somesort!

Or a phone armband holder like u get for iPhone? Mabe you phone would fit in one of these

RFT - I have seen cheapie phones at Harvey Norman etc for about $50, maybe you could get one of those.

If you are with Telstra I have some old phones, you could probably have one.

Guest RosieFT

True - I hope that if my dogs get out they get taken to the pound - because that's the first place I'd look, fees or not.

Unlike most people, I don't think I would have to worry about anyone 'keeping' my dogs :rofl:

I would..... :-)

well maybe one of them... not saying which..... ;)

I worry the owners won't get them in time and they will get given to someone else. It was a pretty handsome GSD and a very cute and friendly little dog.

Guest RosieFT

RFT - I have seen cheapie phones at Harvey Norman etc for about $50, maybe you could get one of those.

If you are with Telstra I have some old phones, you could probably have one.

Thanks for that, but no, i just need a solution for the phone i have. Might just go back to wearing bum bag, that would work.

MG that is an idea too :-)

Guest RosieFT

PS when you are talking about a massive ericsson phone it is bringing back memories of one of my old ones, looked like this :laugh:

Ericsson_A1018s_blue.jpg

hee looks like a walkie talkie hee

Actually I think mine was even bunkier - it had a one line display (made texting interesting) and didn't vibrate or have games :laugh:

The face plate (blue in that pic) could be swapped with other colours :cool: :rofl:

What an exciting adventure you had, RosieFT!! I know the ovals you are talking about which can be scary for offlead dogs with no road sense! I've been there and had offlead dogs with no owners run up to me as well. About 5 mins later though they appeared over the hill :rolleyes:

I called a ranger once and it put the Boxer dog on a lead with a solid bar with a loop at the end, and put it into her truck that way.

I carry my iphone in my pocket. Maybe you could wear a bumbag/walkie belt and put your phone in that?

Guest RosieFT

Amy - one line is awesome! hee hee

RS - i think I was going against this modern world of ours where we have to have our phones with us at all times, just taking my dog for a walk. BUT have learnt the error of my ways LOL . i think the bum bag is the go.

Your ranger sounds like they were on the ball, this guy had NOTHING... didn't even put a lead on them.. they went in the back of his truck/van/ute thingo with the tool kit and whatever else was in there. NOT like on the movies that is for sure.

I like walking there as i have not yet (touch wood) had a problem with any dogs. It is officially off leash so no watching out for ranger dan . Unlike the oval right near my house, huge sports oval that is onlead only. Such a pain, cos it is nice to take dog and kids and have a run around with a ball or something. Andrew said i should have just gone to our oval with the stray dogs and stepped paws on it with no leash and the ranger would have appeared immediately LOL

I was thinking that yesterday actually.

A lady at work was freaking out because her teenager wasn't answering his mobile phone, and hadn't checked in for a few hours, and I was thinking jeeez how did parents manage before - lol - I know how they did it in our family - no news is good news :thumbsup: