Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Bahahahaha i keep saying ia m going to do then never start training lol.

I reckon squid who is the energser bunny could do it no worries

if i build my fitness up which i need to for the rotti national next year unless someone wants to come help me by being a runner

I mgiht be able to do it rofl

I won't do ET with either of mine, even of I could physically do it myself i think it's just too taxing on the body for large breed dogs but that's just my opinion...

I think it depends on the individual dog. Banjo is a definite no go for the ET, he'd hate it and he's just not built for it but Bear on the other hand is going to do awesome and he'll love it. :)

All the best to Rosie and Ari - hope they are both feeling better soon :(:grouphug:

MG, surely as Labs were bred for a days hunting in the field, they would be able to cope if fit enough wouldn't they :confused:

eta - It would kill me for sure though :laugh:

Edited by CrazyCresties

Hope Ari is ok ST big hugs for her and pls post back and let us know what's happening

I won't do ET with either of mine, even of I could physically do it myself i think it's just too taxing on the body for large breed dogs but that's just my opinion...

Thank you for everyones good wishes for Ari. i'm sure I'm possibly being paranoid but it's so not like my girl to be sick...

MG when you say large breed do you mean heavier breeds? i think with the right amount of fitness build up most breeds would be able to handle the ET. There are a large number of the heavier type breeds bred originally to work all day as an endurance breed, and I would be more willing to do an ET with those breeds than a sighthound type breed, for example.

I know of many weims that have competed and achieved the ET with very little training besides their usual free running. Any retriever type breed that was bred to run in fields all day long, well I'd be surprised if they couldn't build the level of fitness that would achieve the ET.

Well retrieving work for labs would never be 12 km's and they were bred to retrieve mainly from water not on the land.... I just worry about joints, i mean runners wear out their knees running so im not sure i would do it with my 2. Everybody is different and we all have our own thoughts but i just personally wouldnt do it with my 2. There is no reason why Mason couldnt do it if not fit enough but he is too heavily built i think. Weims even tho they are large breed they are not big boned or big built. They are quite athletic looking imo :)

I am actually tempted to do it with little training as squid is very fit, a few rottis are the same rocked up ont he day and passed no worries no extra training. They were bred to work all day and as long as they are not heavy etc i can see most passing no worries

. as long as i do it on a bike i reckon i could do it too :D

Any retriever type breed that was bred to run in fields all day long, well I'd be surprised if they couldn't build the level of fitness that would achieve the ET.

Exactly my thinking. It's not like you could/would take a couch potato dog and then subject them to 20km's of running. I think it is beneficial to build up a dog's fitness over time and there is no reason why a largr/heavier breed could not build up the fitness for it. Retrieving is taxing on the body, all that jumping over things in their path, up and down steep hills to retrieve game, swimming. Heck, if a gundog is built for that, then a 20km run when fitness is sufficient, plus a bit of agility for a breed not carrying excess weight, should not be a problem (and I bring that up because it is of the opinion of many that a Lab should not do agility - but why not when it is built to work in the field all day?) My opinion of course and the health of my dogs is first and foremost and I won't subject them to anything they are not personally and individually physically fit to do :)

Well retrieving work for labs would never be 12 km's and they were bred to retrieve mainly from water not on the land.... I just worry about joints, i mean runners wear out their knees running so im not sure i would do it with my 2. Everybody is different and we all have our own thoughts but i just personally wouldnt do it with my 2. There is no reason why Mason couldnt do it if not fit enough but he is too heavily built i think. Weims even tho they are large breed they are not big boned or big built. They are quite athletic looking imo :)

this is true :) Weims of course were bred for a different purpose also and their structure shows that, compared to labs. Personally I think that it does depend very much on the build and endurance level of the individual dog... Old english Sheepdogs are meant to be an endurance breed, but I know of certain OES that couldn't manage it, and others that definitely could (this is without coat btw, i'd never make a full coated OES do an ET!)

How old is Squid Emery?

I couldn't do it without a lot of preparation over a few months, partly because I couldn't be able to just jump on a bike and ride :rofl: And partly because I'll need to build the thickness of her pads up, because I'd hate for her to hurt a pad halfway through and have to stop, also because she has a mild heart murmur I wouldn't want to risk pushing her more than she can handle.

If you did a lot of the training on softer surface such as grass or sand the impact on joints would be lessened (but the impact on your leg muscles woudn't be :rofl: )

How old is Squid Emery?

I couldn't do it without a lot of preparation over a few months, partly because I couldn't be able to just jump on a bike and ride :rofl: And partly because I'll need to build the thickness of her pads up, because I'd hate for her to hurt a pad halfway through and have to stop, also because she has a mild heart murmur I wouldn't want to risk pushing her more than she can handle.

If you did a lot of the training on softer surface such as grass or sand the impact on joints would be lessened (but the impact on your leg muscles woudn't be :rofl: )

squid is almost 21 months i would of course do some training but maybe not at strict as some its hard with three kids lol

this is true :) Weims of course were bred for a different purpose also and their structure shows that, compared to labs. Personally I think that it does depend very much on the build and endurance level of the individual dog... Old english Sheepdogs are meant to be an endurance breed, but I know of certain OES that couldn't manage it, and others that definitely could (this is without coat btw, i'd never make a full coated OES do an ET!)

Yeah some dogs are not fans of heat, my 2 both hate it but labs originating from a cold climate naturally would!. There is a guy around here that bikes with his ridgy x and that dog looks pretty comtortable next to the bike even though its large breed but not a very heavy set dog.

I was just wondering because they have to be 2 to enter, so she should be fine

Yep she'll be 2 :) but no rush for me to do it with her :rofl: i am the unfit one, i do have a friend who has offered might get her to do it with Chandra first see how she goes then do squid in '13

Bahahahaha i keep saying ia m going to do then never start training lol.

I reckon squid who is the energser bunny could do it no worries

if i build my fitness up which i need to for the rotti national next year unless someone wants to come help me by being a runner

I mgiht be able to do it rofl

When is the Rotti Nationals? If I am not busy elsewhere I would be happy to help as a runner :) Would be an interesting experience :D

My father used to run marathons ( 42.2km) and he took his Wei on the 32km training runs every second week, the did 10 ks every other day at least, he was one fit dog, not sure if they had the ET back in the 70s and 80s though!!

My father used to run marathons ( 42.2km) and he took his Wei on the 32km training runs every second week, the did 10 ks every other day at least, he was one fit dog, not sure if they had the ET back in the 70s and 80s though!!

Not surprising at all!! I know a guy with a weim in WA who does marathons also... his wei is his running partner. he recently had a cartilage op (the guy, not the dog) and is out of running for at least 12 months. Up to that point he couldn't keep any weight on his dog, and now his dog is rather... pudgy!!