Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

I was chatting to some people already competing in proper retrieving trials and they dont seem keen to do the ratg's :( its not challenging enough for advanced people i guess but its still a title imo.

If your dog is titled in retrieving you are ineligible to compete in RAT. (Even QND title).

I didnt know that and none of them mentioned it, just said as there is no game and no guns they not keen

That is entirely fair they would have no interest (even though they aren't eligible), because it appears (to me anyway) it really is aimed at beginners who aren't yet competing in retrieving trials, and as a lead-in to trialling if they enjoy it. Nice intro into the sport thumbsup1.gif And good for Associate dogs who show the potential but because of a piece a paper (or lack thereof) are not eligible to compete.

I found out that a lot of retrieving people didn't even know what the QND title is as it had no relevance to them, so an NRA / ORA wouldn't be of much interest :laugh:

Though, I think a dog with an NRD title is actually eligible to take part in the Open Test :) Can't be bothered checking the rules to confirm....

I hope the retrieving community will get behind it, it's not for their dogs that are competing and doing well, it's to encourage new people, people who want to dip their toe in before a real trial and those with associate register but pure bred gun dogs (like Millie and others out there) can have a go!

thumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gif

Unless the sport gets new people, it could possibly eventually die out. This is a great way to encourage new blood into the sport!

It is probably going to be hard to find a lot of people to compete but we may get a few, a lot if that test is basic obedience and obedience numbers themselves are not great. Now factor in that people need to have a 'gundog' type of dog in specific and it cancels out a bunch more of people. Just saying... Dont know how many people will actually do it. I would love to though

Edited by Mason_Gibbs

I posted this is another thread but thought you agility/obedience guys here in WA may know of someone....

I am looking for someone who is keen to have an agility/obedience dog from puppy stage and is involved in the sport to take on a coated xolo puppy. They are very widely used in the USA and with great sucess.

If you know of anyone or are interested please email me at [email protected]

regards J

Will Moo get to play Ptolomy - I hear he has a nice water retrieve that the gundog people would kill for :laugh:.

When I was in Brisbane in JUne for the Obedience Nationals I entered Moo in a RAT which was on the same day at the same venue. I piked out for 2 reasons - paralysis ticks, when I saw the area I wasn't prepared to run him and he was buggered after 2 days of obedience. But yep no reason why I couldn't unless the terrain was too tough and he might break AGAIN!

I would like to give it a go with Strauss.

I was chatting to some people already competing in proper retrieving trials and they dont seem keen to do the ratg's :( its not challenging enough for advanced people i guess but its still a title imo.

If your dog is titled in retrieving you are ineligible to compete in RAT. (Even QND title).

I didnt know that and none of them mentioned it, just said as there is no game and no guns they not keen

That is entirely fair they would have no interest (even though they aren't eligible), because it appears (to me anyway) it really is aimed at beginners who aren't yet competing in retrieving trials, and as a lead-in to trialling if they enjoy it. Nice intro into the sport thumbsup1.gif And good for Associate dogs who show the potential but because of a piece a paper (or lack thereof) are not eligible to compete.

I found out that a lot of retrieving people didn't even know what the QND title is as it had no relevance to them, so an NRA / ORA wouldn't be of much interest :laugh:

Though, I think a dog with an NRD title is actually eligible to take part in the Open Test :) Can't be bothered checking the rules to confirm....

Any dog already with the retrieving title - QND, NRD will have to do the open Test. Am I going to do it? not decided yet.

Not right.... as far as I know any dogs titled in retrieving can still compete in these events. Not many do though.