Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

I notice that too RFT, particularly with our office dog who is Bichon x Shih Tzu

That pungent greasy doggy smell! ewww

No I assure you she does shed - just :laugh: But her hairs are so short (literally about 5-6mm) and black that they just disappear! Except on the white bedlinen - lol :rolleyes:

Minedon't get that 'wet dog' smell either - does Rosie?

I think it's also what they're fed, how much coat they have, all sorts of stuff - I know with the dog at work most of his odour comes from his ears which are forever infected and the smell just sticks in his entire coat - ewww

Some dogs (like my brothers dog) smell doggy within 1 or 2 days of a bath. But he doesn't have ear problems

Yeah I'm like that about my house - because I'm always there it smells 'neutral' to me but I always wonder if non doggy people think it stinks like dogs :o

This :o for me too...

With two long coated boys, one of which is entire, and two weimaraners, I don't think i get away with not having a doggy smell... I don't like to bath too often because it strips their coats of too much oil and I'd frankly rather they have a healthy coat than a dry one. My weims i dont think smell much, but they always do when they are wet - i call it weimy smell. Poor Spartan is probably the worst - with his gut issues and ear issues, he very rarely smells good, even after a bath. I do try and wash the dog beds quite often.

As the owner of dogs who are prone to doggy smell due to my reluctance to bath them often because it strips the natural oil from their coats, I'm officially offended :D

Saying that though, it could be just because I live with them, but I don't find my hands and clothes smell after I touch my dogs confused.gif (though they can smell from the treats I keep in my pockets! :p) It's if I don't wash the bedding in the laundry and car often enough, those two places can smell like dog.

If my dogs were on the nose though to the point if I touch them and I smell, I would certainly be bathing them. Our old maltese Chloe was bathed weekly and she had awfully oily skin from all the bathing. She'd itch and chew herself red raw from it, which made her smell, which in turn made us had to bath her. Catch 22!!

Now I know why I don't invite people over very often! I'm already paranoid enough about my car smell :o And if people ask to pat my dogs, I might have to say no, now :p ;)

Speaking of doggy smells, I am after some doggy perfume for them, makes them smell so bewdiful after a bath!! I do so love a clean puppy dog that smells pretty (but still can't bring myself to bath them weekly). Love it when Ruby is clean, she goes from being yellow to sparkling bright yellow! :love: (not to mention just look at her and 100x more hair comes flying off after a bath! :rofl:)

This :o for me too...

With two long coated boys, one of which is entire, and two weimaraners, I don't think i get away with not having a doggy smell... I don't like to bath too often because it strips their coats of too much oil and I'd frankly rather they have a healthy coat than a dry one. My weims i dont think smell much, but they always do when they are wet - i call it weimy smell. Poor Spartan is probably the worst - with his gut issues and ear issues, he very rarely smells good, even after a bath. I do try and wash the dog beds quite often.

Wet dog smell is the worst :vomit: Even after a bath with nice smelling shampoo, my dogs still smell like wet dog! I guess that only makes sense.... they are wet and they are dogs..... :rolleyes: laugh.gif

Actually RS - I was thinking about how you hardly ever bath your dogs yet I don't find them smelly that I can recall

That's reassuring to hear... unless you're just being nice :D

You already know how paranoid I am about my car smell. I hate it!!!! :( But the dogs themselves aren't particularly smelly dogs (and I do know of the kind that RosieFT refers to, Chloe was one, you'd pat her and your hands would smell if she was overdue for a bath, but my girls aren't like that I don't think). I can only narrow it down to the bedding and stuff in my car that makes it smell so doggy :shrug:

Edited by RubyStar

RS, i have the BEST smelling shampoo that I get from the show shop at canine. The smell is devine - it's called Crown Royal Linky here - I use forumula 2

I find it best for the setters - because of the slightly longer topcoat than the weims, the smell seems to last 3-5 days, and i notice no doggy odour while they are drying (the weims are a different story!). it's not a cheap shampoo, but it's a concentrate and does last quite a while between 3 dogs, so it's worth the investment to me. I'd say with your girls coat length, it'd probably last just as long. it also enhances all colours - James and Spartan always look nice and bright and the orange on James coat is deeper and shinier than normal. i also don't use a conditioner anymore on the setter coats but this shampoo really does soften their coat.

Edited by SparkyTansy

Thanks for the link, ST. Problem with shampoo with Ruby especially, it takes a LOT to lather and penetrate through to her undercoat. I guess if I had a hydrobath (or hooked my own up like in that DIY hydrobath thread) it would help get it through the coat and in turn use less shampoo. But right now we go through heaps when we do bath! I bought an oatmeal type one (Troy brand?) and it's almost gone, but it didn't have a particular smell about it, it was kinda neutral.

I have the same issue with getting through the setter coats RS. This shampoo is probably one of the best for lather that I have used. I am a mean owner, because I use the hose to bath my dogs!! i use one of those attachments where you can select different settings, and i use the shower type one, which gives quite a bit of force and really gets the shampoo out again.

I shove the dogs in the shower and use the detachable shower head like a hose. Keeps them warm and stops Millie from creeping away (and then bolting when she thinks her sneaky maneuvers have worked :rofl:) Only problem is it really clogs my shower up! So that expensive shampoo is how expensive? :o

I use QV wash and it lathers really well, i bath mason often mostly also due to his allergies - the QV is not soap though so therefore does not strip the oils, but i spray diluted QV oil on Mason when wet as he has a naturally dry skin/coat as it is and i do the same for Gibbs. Show labs get bathed 1x a week anyway before shows and they are all still shiny

i used to bath spartan once a week, and once every two-three days on feet and face when his allergies were bad. he would be "pee washed" daily to keep his feathering in good condition and a conditioner was always applied to his feathers. when he was desexed, i found his yuck soft new fluffy coat was more prone to knots when he was bathed often, so i reduced the number of baths he had. it definitely would not be that way though, if his desensitising injections hadn't worked and he was as itchy as he was when he was younger.

i wonder how water repellant a show lab coat is, being bathed so often, unless oils are added to make them shiny.

Ah the benefit of having a hairless dog - although he can get a 'sweaty boy' smell sometimes :rofl:

But I think diet makes a huge difference - with the 3 rescues I had they were all a bit whiffy on arrival, but that seemed to go once they were on a good diet - I never bathed them so it couldn't have been due to that :laugh: