Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

God least your parents are obliging RS. I just rang mine to ask if they could bring my hard crate home and they were like crating her for that length of time is cruel and its not going to help :(. I just want to crate her so I can walk Ness and go out without stressing :(.

OK i posted this in the crazy labs feed, until Rubystar told me there was a WA forum, thanx Rubystar!

Hi everyone!

Just introducing myself as i am new.

I am in WA, i have 1 10yr old lab (male) who is just gorgeous!

I am also wanting to get any info/feedback from existing breeders out there.....

I am also on the list with a lovely lady here in WA to get a little girl, hopefully around sept/oct (will be my 30th bday pressie)

I am in the process of becoming a breeder, just waiting on shire approval, it seems to be taking forever! Any tips on how to get started are very welcome.

By the way i am loving all these piccies of the beautiful pups!

Hope to hear from you all soon

Welcome Bromaco - look forward to seeing pics. :)

becoming a breeder is a long process of research and learning and getting it right from the beginning. Probably best place to start would be the breeder whos waiting list you are on. Tell them that you are interested in breeding so that they can give you advice on the right way to go about it. Being a registered breeder is more than getting shire approval. You have to get the right bitch, and then find the right dog. You have to be sure the bitch you have is good enough to breed from, and meets the breed standard. The bitch you have should be registered and on main register papers, otherwise you are not able to register the puppies produced (and usually a puppy on limit means not for showing or breeding purposes). You need to be a member of DogsWEst, you need to take the breeders exam and get a prefix so that you can register your puppies... you'll need to do the applicable health tests for your bitch (i think hip and elbow scoring? is there any others? PRA?). If she passes those, then you need to go about finding the right stud dog, and that means researching lines, different kennels, and studying conformation of several dogs to ensure that the pairing suits the bitch, and will produce sound, healthy puppies that look like labradors and meet the standard. Then of course there is the mating, the care of the bitch while pregnant, then the whelping itself, which can be difficult if you do not know what you are doing, so research there with many many books and web searches is the way to go. Raising the litter is tiring but fun... but you also have to be prepared for the heartbreak of losing them, because it can and does happen... and then of course there is the challenge of finding the right homes for the puppies so that they don't end up being breeding machines in someones backyard, because they think it'll make them a quick buck. breeding is a very rewarding, but tough, tiring and stressful - oh, and Expensive.. And how do I know this? I have just bred my first litter after countless years of research and proving myself in the showring and to breeders. They are 9 days old today and are the most amazing little creatures to watch. I have had several mentors throughout the whole process, and am lucky enough to have assisted whelpings in order to learn what needs to be done from an experienced breeder.

Sorry that turned out longer than it meant to!!

OK i posted this in the crazy labs feed, until Rubystar told me there was a WA forum, thanx Rubystar!

Hi everyone!

I am also wanting to get any info/feedback from existing breeders out there.....

I am also on the list with a lovely lady here in WA to get a little girl, hopefully around sept/oct (will be my 30th bday pressie)

I am in the process of becoming a breeder, just waiting on shire approval, it seems to be taking forever! Any tips on how to get started are very welcome.

becoming a breeder is a long process of research and learning and getting it right from the beginning. Probably best place to start would be the breeder whos waiting list you are on. Tell them that you are interested in breeding so that they can give you advice on the right way to go about it. Being a registered breeder is more than getting shire approval. You have to get the right bitch, and then find the right dog. You have to be sure the bitch you have is good enough to breed from, and meets the breed standard. The bitch you have should be registered and on main register papers, otherwise you are not able to register the puppies produced (and usually a puppy on limit means not for showing or breeding purposes). You need to be a member of DogsWEst, you need to take the breeders exam and get a prefix so that you can register your puppies... you'll need to do the applicable health tests for your bitch (i think hip and elbow scoring? is there any others? PRA?). If she passes those, then you need to go about finding the right stud dog, and that means researching lines, different kennels, and studying conformation of several dogs to ensure that the pairing suits the bitch, and will produce sound, healthy puppies that look like labradors and meet the standard. Then of course there is the mating, the care of the bitch while pregnant, then the whelping itself, which can be difficult if you do not know what you are doing, so research there with many many books and web searches is the way to go. Raising the litter is tiring but fun... but you also have to be prepared for the heartbreak of losing them, because it can and does happen... and then of course there is the challenge of finding the right homes for the puppies so that they don't end up being breeding machines in someones backyard, because they think it'll make them a quick buck. breeding is a very rewarding, but tough, tiring and stressful - oh, and Expensive.. And how do I know this? I have just bred my first litter after countless years of research and proving myself in the showring and to breeders. They are 9 days old today and are the most amazing little creatures to watch. I have had several mentors throughout the whole process, and am lucky enough to have assisted whelpings in order to learn what needs to be done from an experienced breeder.

That was very well said, ST! Very informative :D

God least your parents are obliging RS. I just rang mine to ask if they could bring my hard crate home and they were like crating her for that length of time is cruel and its not going to help :(. I just want to crate her so I can walk Ness and go out without stressing :(.

Well, they're not as obliging as I'd hope :laugh: They refuse to supervise her toilet breaks on lead, so the compromise was put her out the smaller side down the side of the house by herself, and make sure she doesn't run to the door or does her usual excited Tigger bounces when released from the crate laugh.gif

And it took lots of nagging to get through to Dad the importance of her being crated. He wasn't getting it, but now he does :)

Oh I just ended up hanging up on mum saying whatever so she called back and gave me a 15 min lecture on what what I was doing was a bad idea and what I should be doing instead - involving sending her up to the property and letting her free run. Can't think of anything worse at the moment :(.

Even when I explained to them I only wanted it so I could crate her when I wasn't home to supervise directly - even that was considered cruel :(. She isn't crated all day just when I don't want her fence running or being stupid.

Speaking of which she has been so good all day with not looking lame and is now lame again :(. God I hope the cartrophen helps.

Hi everyone!

thanx for allllll that info.

Was good to read all of that to know if im on the right track and YEP seems as though i am....i will be getting her on main register and have already spoken to the lady at dogs west but cant get prefix til i get her :-( but yep have looked at nearly all that stuff you have just said to do. Yeah i have been doing lots n lots of research so far, have been wanting to do this for about 10years and now im finally getting my bum into gear and doing something about it! Cant wait, i am looking forward to all the fun and stressful times ahead!

Welcome Bromaco :)

Are you currently a DogsWest member? If yes, then you should be able to apply for your prefix whenever you want. If not then you do need to wait until you have a registered dog in order to become a member - then you can apply :)

We expect to see lots of Lab baby pictures when you do get her :D

Bugger to everyone with broken dogs :( Miss Diva is broken still too so I know how you feel :( Luckily she is fine to stay in the paddock - she stresses big time when yarded! It is a lot harder to xray all of a horse though than a dog :laugh: Will be chatting to my vet tomorrow about a referal somewhere with a better ultrasound though. Stupid animals - don't they realise we have better things to spend our money on? :o

Have you joined the Lab club of WA ,you an also attend as many shows as possible so you can learn the ropes .If your breeder shows & they have the time they will help but also please keep in mind for many of us dog shows is about sitting with our friends & catching up/relaxing so if you want to spend some time with your breeder best to ask which show will suit best, in June the Lab club have there champ show so there will be plenty of Labs to be seen & a good learning day of the lines similar to your pups & what his family tree look like providing the breeder is a regular show person

Welcome Bromaco :)

Are you currently a DogsWest member? If yes, then you should be able to apply for your prefix whenever you want. If not then you do need to wait until you have a registered dog in order to become a member - then you can apply :)

We expect to see lots of Lab baby pictures when you do get her :D

Bugger to everyone with broken dogs :( Miss Diva is broken still too so I know how you feel :( Luckily she is fine to stay in the paddock - she stresses big time when yarded! It is a lot harder to xray all of a horse though than a dog :laugh: Will be chatting to my vet tomorrow about a referal somewhere with a better ultrasound though. Stupid animals - don't they realise we have better things to spend our money on? :o

nope not a member yet as the lady there told me not to join til im ready to get a prefix.....? i thought you would have to join b4 applying for a prefix! There will deffers be pics when i get her and also when i figure out how to upload them...lol

Yeah tell me about it mirawee - spent more money on both of mine at the local vet tonight :(.

Welcome Bromaco :wave:

I was wondering how Diva was doing, sounds like more tests needed? :( I still haven't had a chance to edit my pics of your lovely horses :o hopefully tomorrow!

RS - hope all goes well for Ruby and you in the morning, I would have come to keep you company but someone is coming to re-grout our bathroom tomorrow. I know that sounds like a 'RallyVally Excuse', but it's true :laugh:

Interview went well, just have to wait to see what comes of it now :)

CC you cheeky thing :provoke::laugh:

I have until the end of next week and then I am semi-free :laugh: Only 3 exams to go! :)

Poor Toby is a bit bored... He keeps coming up to me and dropping toys on my uni books, now they all have lovely Toby marks :rofl: