Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Need some advice.

After our experience with the goldie that didnt work out i was adament that i would not grt another dog. After seeing mason moping around the house again i think he could be lonely, so now i am starting to think that maybe getting a pup at the beginning of next year may be a good option. I would go for a female this time and get the breeder to give me a dog who they think will fit into our family.

Thoughts??

Edited by Mason2009

Need some advice.

After our experience with the goldie that didnt work out i was adament that i would not grt another dog. After seeing mason moping around the house again i think he could be lonely, so now i am starting to think that maybe getting a pup at the beginning of next year may be a good option. I would go for a female this time and get the breeder to give me a dog who they think will fit into our family.

Thoughts??

it is all about finding a pup that meets your needs. perhaps with a pup, Mason can teach it the routes, put it into place, where he didnt know how to with an older - more out of control pup... Do you know anyone with a young pup, that you could borrow and see his interaction?

Oh an I think its a great idea too ;)

Edited by RoxyNHemi

Need some advice.

Thoughts??

I am in a one dog house at the moment as you all know. On Sunday I am picking up ST's James and he is coming to stay for a while, this will be the best test. However I think the issue I had wasn't really with Toby and he is making big steps forward socialization wise in order to make me feel more confident when the next dog arrives.

However I am not getting the next dog for Toby, I am getting a dog for me. I think unless you and your husband want the pup for you, not for Mason, it might not be the right time.. Do you have any dogs nearby you can have over play dates? Or take him to doggy daycare once or twice a week?

Need some advice.

Thoughts??

it is all about finding a pup that meets your needs. perhaps with a pup, Mason can teach it the routes, put it into place, where he didnt know how to with an older - more out of control pup... Do you know anyone with a young pup, that you could borrow and see his interaction?

Oh an I think its a great idea too ;)

Our friends have a small mixed breed pup that he plays with and he seems to be the boss in that relationship but he is tiny. Next weekend he is staying with us and in july for 2 weeks so maybe i should see how that goes ...

I say go for it...with caution! You need to have a good relationship with the breeder of your potential puppy so that you are likely to get the best fit for your family. A bitch is a good idea in my opinion but whilst you may want an easy going girl you don't want a pup who has no drive either! Remember to ask me next time I see you and I'll ask a couple of people I know who could point you in the right direction.

Need some advice.

Thoughts??

I tend to agree with RV here. The question is are you ready for another dog, without taking into account what Mason may need?

It may also be wise to sit on it for a few weeks, and watch Mason closely. A few test runs with indifferent dogs in his home might be a good test. Could Mason be feeling under the weather or depressed for any other reason? Do you definitely think adding a puppy will make him happier? Is he simply getting used to the change of being home alone for longer, and will he, eventually, get back to normal?

I think, at the end of the day, it's your decision to make Mas, and you have to make it not just for Mason, but for you as well ;)

I should have been a bit clearer in my first post - i also want the 2nd dog to compete in obedience with ;) not just for Mason. Would only be looking at getting the new pup nov/ dec this year or early next year.

Bedazzled i have thought about the drive issue and while mas will always be my special dog I dont think he has the drive to go higher than open in obedience. He could prove me wrong tho as i am no expert 

Eta - is drive something that runs in certain lines or how does it work exactly???

Edited by Mason2009

Tricky subject that! ;) If you start with a good stable temperament you can build drive, particularly for obedience. If you want to compete in retrieving trials you need to speak to people involved in that. If you want dynamite speed and drive for agility you need to choose very carefully and that sort of pup will probably drive you and Mason mad! So you need to be very aware of what you want (as I know you are :shrug: ) Do you have a breed preference?

I should have been a bit clearer in my first post - i also want the 2nd dog to compete in obedience with :o not just for Mason. Would only be looking at getting the new pup nov/ dec this year or early next year.

Bedazzled i have thought about the drive issue and while mas will always be my special dog I dont think he has the drive to go higher than open in obedience. He could prove me wrong tho as i am no expert 

Eta - is drive something that runs in certain lines or how does it work exactly???

Tricky subject that! :laugh: If you start with a good stable temperament you can build drive, particularly for obedience. If you want to compete in retrieving trials you need to speak to people involved in that. If you want dynamite speed and drive for agility you need to choose very carefully and that sort of pup will probably drive you and Mason mad! So you need to be very aware of what you want (as I know you are :o ) Do you have a breed preference?
I should have been a bit clearer in my first post - i also want the 2nd dog to compete in obedience with :rofl: not just for Mason. Would only be looking at getting the new pup nov/ dec this year or early next year.

I will only compete in obedience and maybe do some agilty for fun, i cant get over the dead birds and camping that retrieving requires lol .

I want another lab - i just love them 

aww making the most of it :laugh:

well go to let kelari outside after lunch and notice she is limping. Good golly what have tou done check back, hips elbows, legs no reaction. Go i will watch you bring her inside again

Think oh didn't check pads go back and blood everywhere sure enough she has cut a pad she has sliced the whole pad of one of her toes off. sigh towel salt wash betadine gauze bandage then a sock and one unhappy dog with me lol

sigh they are so stressful lol

oh when it rains it pours emery!!!

i so rekcon i think i hit a chinaman :laugh:

eta hope to get squid's xrays done next week so will put it off a week but hopefully they'll be the light at the end of the tunnel :o

Edited by emery