Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

I have rung K9 and there is an ACWA Meeting tonight at 7.30 - so K9 will be open for training :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Me and Toby will be there

A warning for anybody going to K9 - the scrub next to the sheds has been cleared and council guys were gobsmacked at the number of BIG snakes :confused: so be very aware

:cry::cry::eek: Oh and they will all be angry at loosing their cover. Think I might avoid the grounds for abit, I'm a real chicken when it comes to snakes, just the thought of them is enough to freak me.

Bushfire EMERGENCY WARNING for the area between Armstrong Hills Drive, Old Coast Road, Old Bunbury Road and Southern Estuary Road in the Armstrong Hills and Tuart Grove subdivisions in Lake Clifton, Shire of Waroona

Monday 10 January 2011 – 4:30 PM

ALERT LEVEL:

A bushfire EMERGENCY WARNING has been issued for people in the Armstrong Hills and Tuart Grove subdivisions in Lake Clifton in Shire of Waroona.

Homes in the area between Armstrong Hills Drive, Old Coast Road, Old Bunbury Road and Southern Estuary Road will be impacted by fire.

There was more than one fire. Currently the fire is burning between Armstrong Hills Drive and Gaston Crescent.

There is a threat to lives and homes. You are in danger and need to act immediately to survive.

WHAT TO DO:

If you have not left yet and the way is clear, leave immediately for a safer place and take your survival kit with you.

If you have not prepared your home, it is too late to do it now, your safest option is to leave.

Do not relocate at the last minute in a vehicle or on foot as this is deadly.

If you cannot leave, you need to get ready to take shelter in your home and actively defend it.

If you are away from home, do not try to return as the road conditions in the area could be very dangerous.

RELOCATION ROUTES:

If you live in the area leave via Old Coast Road heading north.

RELOCATION POINTS:

A relocation point has been set up at Waroona Recreation and Aquatic Centre in Hill Street, Waroona.

ALERT LEVEL:

A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people:

to the west of Old Coast Road from the intersection of Old Bunbury Road to Clifton Downs Road, Lake Clifton

north of Armstrong Hills Drive in the Armstrong Hills subdivision

between Southern Estuary Road, Dalton Drive and Old Coast Road in Herron

There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching the area and conditions are changing. You need to leave - act immediately, do not wait and see.

WHAT TO DO:

Put your bushfire survival plan into action.

If you are not prepared or have decided to leave for a safer place, leave now.

If you are prepared to the highest level and plan to use your home as shelter, make final preparations now.

If you are away from home, do not try to return as the road conditions in the area could be very dangerous.

ROAD CLOSURES:

A number of roads have been closed including:

Armstrong Hills Drive

Southern Estuary Road between Old Coast Road and Old Bunbury Road

Old Bunbury Road between Forrest Highway and Old Coast Road

Tuart Grove Avenue

Old Coast Road between Old Bunbury through to Southern Estuary Road

For further details contact Main Roads WA on 138 138 or Shire of Waroona.

Motorists should avoid the area and be aware of fire and other emergency services personnel working on site.

BUSHFIRE BEHAVIOUR:

The bushfire is moving fast in a north westerly direction at one kilometre per hour. It is out of control and unpredictable.

Embers are likely to be blown around your home and spot fires are starting up to 300 metres ahead of the fire. Flames are higher than roof tops.

Firefighters are expecting the wind to change from west to east at 4.30pm.

The fire started at 11.52am and currently there has been 100 hectares burnt.

WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:

Eighty career and volunteer Fire and Rescue Service and Bush Fire Service and Department of Environment and Conservation firefighters are on the scene.

Two, two type1 helicopter and four fixed wing water bombers have been sent to protect crews and homes.

Firefighters are protecting homes in Armstrong Hills and Tuart Grove subdivisions.

Several sheds and fencing have been lost.

CAUSE:

The cause of the fire is deliberately light. :thumbsup:

I believe there are kennels up Lake Clifton way hopefully they have there emergency plan in order

We are battling with hotspots at the moment, I am seriously thinking of somehow getting Masons fur thinned out as I think his thick fur is what is causing it!!

Would a coat king or a furminator work?

What is a coat king? I have a shedding comb but that is not going to crack the mustard I think his fur needs to be thinned out by clippers etc so the air can actually get to his skin. His problem spots are his neck and back area.

I have a coat king if you wanted to borrow it to give it a shot, it was originally bought for my sisters akita. It thins out the coat

Thanks Rach, I have 2 shedding combs here that GR kindly gave me so I will give them a go and see if it helps any - if not I will take you up on your offer.

Would a coat king or a furminator work?

What is a coat king? I have a shedding comb but that is not going to crack the mustard I think his fur needs to be thinned out by clippers etc so the air can actually get to his skin. His problem spots are his neck and back area.

Clipping won't solve the issue at all.Clipping will make the problem coat thicker & become a bigger issue each year .

Hot spots aren't usually caused by thickness but the actual undercoat not being removed ,moisture,diet,bites.

Swimming will be your biggest issue .

The thing is the dog needs to be done through weekly from tip to tail & the right tools will get it out

The coat king & Furminator remove the dead coat not thin it out the dead coat/under coat is generally more obvious in the pants,rump & neck & if dogs wear collars often the neck line is stripped by the colour & the area around very bulky

Do you blow dry him after he swims? That might help because there won't be moisture trapped in his undercoat

He swims all day everyday and most of the time its when I am not here, I try covering the pool but he gets the cover off !!

I'd guess this is causing the hot spots, especially with the recent humid weather. Maybe he needs to be shut away from the pool while his spots can heal or you could invest in a doggy dryer to thoroughly dry him after swimming. I have to painstakingly dry Sarge with a hair dryer after a bath or swim which takes an hour or so because if I don't you can bet he'll get a hot spot. I am checking out dog dryers to buy.

A coat king might just cut the guard hairs and not actually thin the coat. I have some shedding combs and they are really good at getting undercoat out :thumbsup: I use them on my neighbours lab, much to his delight.

Do you blow dry him after he swims? That might help because there won't be moisture trapped in his undercoat

He swims all day everyday and most of the time its when I am not here, I try covering the pool but he gets the cover off !!

I'd guess this is causing the hot spots, especially with the recent humid weather. Maybe he needs to be shut away from the pool while his spots can heal or you could invest in a doggy dryer to thoroughly dry him after swimming. I have to painstakingly dry Sarge with a hair dryer after a bath or swim which takes an hour or so because if I don't you can bet he'll get a hot spot. I am checking out dog dryers to buy.

A coat king might just cut the guard hairs and not actually thin the coat. I have some shedding combs and they are really good at getting undercoat out :thumbsup: I use them on my neighbours lab, much to his delight.

Problem is that i cant keep him away from the pool as its on the verandah, its the only shade outside for him. I am going to order a furminator for him.

The dermatologist and i think its his immunotherapy shots which are causing them, he gets a shot every 21 days, 2 days after the shot the spots flare up again.

should i be discouraging a 21 year old male from purchasing a dog? especially a 5 month old bc x kelpie? =/ my ex is looking for a dog and has asked me for advice...

Depends on the reasoning behind you discouraging him.

Approximaitly 2 weeks after I married my first dog was born a heeler/kelpie X, he came to live with us at 5 weeks (whole other story there)after me spending each day visiting with the litter from 2 days old. I lived in a caravan(for 4 of those years) and because of my partners work we moved around on an annual basis around country towns not considered an ideal situation for having a dog let alone a working breed or breeds. Everyone in my family said it would end badly or the dog would end up having to be rehomed within 6 months. We shared many wonderful times for thirteen and a half years and I was devastated when he had to be given his wings because of failing health. He had outlasted my marriage and acted as support for my kids learning to walk, been a protector and a confidant, I couldn't have asked for better, but if I had listened to everyone else and also I suppose my own inner logic(which I chose to ignore) I would have missed out on those wonderful years with a truely wonderful dog.

Looking back at the dogs in my life, the ones that have proved to be the most right were always the ones where I ignored the voice of logic and I'm sure they all led happy lives as did I in their company. So who knows, just maybe this dog is not a bad choice. :thumbsup:

im hoping she isnt a mistake, he is taking me out with him if he decides to meet her so I can have a look at her =/ I know him and his brother are energetic and active and will exercise it enough and he has already asked about training

i dunno i just see one young dog living in a house with 4 young 'bachelors' as a recipe for disaster

im hoping she isnt a mistake, he is taking me out with him if he decides to meet her so I can have a look at her =/ I know him and his brother are energetic and active and will exercise it enough and he has already asked about training

i dunno i just see one young dog living in a house with 4 young 'bachelors' as a recipe for disaster

Trust your instincts rach, if u know the perdon and dont feel that he is responsible enough than maybe have a chat to him and let him know your concerns.

Good boy Paddy!!! ;)

Rach, unless your friend makes you believe he may be neglectful, there doesn't seem anything that I would discourage them for with getting a dog. You said they will exercise it heaps and he has already asked about training, and a dog might be a good thing for a household of young boys, might teach them a bit of responsibility ;)

Just thought I would give you guys a heads up - was informed by a customer today, that apparently WA is going to expect some (the impression he gave - LARGE amounts) of rainfall from the 20th Jan until late in the 1st week of feb or into the 2nd week of feb... it would have come from Qld, apparently it will be announced on the news tonight.