Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

DOnt despair valley, all those little mistakes are part and parcel of teaching obedience, I teach things and then go back and have to reteach them sometimes when I realize my mistakes, I think its normal for training your first dog.

Very true. I have realised Ruby has lost her "mojo" for heeling, so I am going to have to try ever so hard to pretend she knows nothing and retrain from scratch and make it more fun. I am getting nowhere just "making do" with what I have. Fingers crossed this plan will work, and even more so that I stick to it. This is just for heelwork, though, I will continue training other stuff as she enjoys the other stuff, it's just that darned heelwork :laugh:

I am just under halfway through a Molecular Genetic degree. Its a bit of a pointless degree really, but it opens up quite a few postgrad specilaty degrees :)

What postgrad speciality are you looking at doing?

Edited by RubyStar

Okay I know I am a little early but who is going to go to Albany in Feb???

I am trying to figure out the best day to go. I am wanting to leave early Sat morning. The show starts at 9am group 2 then 4. Does anyone know what sort of numbers group two usually gets??? I am thinking if I have a 5 hour trip and leave at somewhere like 4 or 5am I should get there on time?? Then I only have to stay one night :laugh:) don't like the idea of being away from home for too long!

Also I will have 2 dogs to trial. I was going to put them both in CCD and then if one doesn't make it, no worries, if they both do, set up with someone before hand to take one into the stays for me. I am not sure this would work though as neither have ever been handled by anyone but me, Rommi may be alright. If I put one into CD I can't go back to CCD - too many decisions!! I am also trying to figure out if I will camp one night or look for accomodation. Too many things to think of!

Anyway that is my vent for this evening !!! :)

think i am going but yeah it was so small last show in what oct/nov?

I am trying to figure out the best day to go. I am wanting to leave early Sat morning. The show starts at 9am group 2 then 4. Does anyone know what sort of numbers group two usually gets??? I am thinking if I have a 5 hour trip and leave at somewhere like 4 or 5am I should get there on time?? Then I only have to stay one night :laugh: ) don't like the idea of being away from home for too long!

Also I will have 2 dogs to trial. I was going to put them both in CCD and then if one doesn't make it, no worries, if they both do, set up with someone before hand to take one into the stays for me. I am not sure this would work though as neither have ever been handled by anyone but me, Rommi may be alright. If I put one into CD I can't go back to CCD - too many decisions!! I am also trying to figure out if I will camp one night or look for accomodation. Too many things to think of!

Usually group 2 is very small numbers... around 10-20 dogs max... A few amstaff, staffies and maybe a jack, scotty and westie...

Hmm righto, no idea how many hounds???? If there is lots and Whippets are at the end I might be right??

If all else fails and I am too late for Saturday well I just will have to miss out. It is easier than organising kids etc for two nights.

I think I might just leave at 5am and then I should be there by about 10 and maybe I will have time???

I am trying to figure out the best day to go. I am wanting to leave early Sat morning. The show starts at 9am group 2 then 4. Does anyone know what sort of numbers group two usually gets??? I am thinking if I have a 5 hour trip and leave at somewhere like 4 or 5am I should get there on time?? Then I only have to stay one night :laugh: ) don't like the idea of being away from home for too long!

Usually group 2 is very small numbers... around 10-20 dogs max... A few amstaff, staffies and maybe a jack, scotty and westie...

Hmm righto, no idea how many hounds???? If there is lots and Whippets are at the end I might be right??

If all else fails and I am too late for Saturday well I just will have to miss out. It is easier than organising kids etc for two nights.

I think I might just leave at 5am and then I should be there by about 10 and maybe I will have time???

Group 4 usually has about the same amount of dogs.... you would be probably safer aiming to leave for 4-4.30

DOnt despair valley, all those little mistakes are part and parcel of teaching obedience, I teach things and then go back and have to reteach them sometimes when I realize my mistakes, I think its normal for training your first dog.

Very true. I have realised Ruby has lost her "mojo" for heeling, so I am going to have to try ever so hard to pretend she knows nothing and retrain from scratch and make it more fun. I am getting nowhere just "making do" with what I have. Fingers crossed this plan will work, and even more so that I stick to it. This is just for heelwork, though, I will continue training other stuff as she enjoys the other stuff, it's just that darned heelwork :mad

I am just under halfway through a Molecular Genetic degree. Its a bit of a pointless degree really, but it opens up quite a few postgrad specilaty degrees :D

Yeah I am teaching Toby heelwork and I really have no idea what I am doing... so I will probably have to re-do it all in a few months :eek: Just watched this video! I love this lab http://www.akc.org/events/obedience/nation.../2010/video.cfm (click on finals) :)

I am torn for what to do postgrad! At the moment I am looking at Speech Pathology, Genetic Counselling or Embryology (IVF).

I am trying to figure out the best day to go. I am wanting to leave early Sat morning. The show starts at 9am group 2 then 4. Does anyone know what sort of numbers group two usually gets??? I am thinking if I have a 5 hour trip and leave at somewhere like 4 or 5am I should get there on time?? Then I only have to stay one night :) ) don't like the idea of being away from home for too long!

Anyway that is my vent for this evening !!! :eek:

Group 4 usually has about the same amount of dogs.... you would be probably safer aiming to leave for 4-4.30

Yeah but that is sooooo early!

I will see how I feel closer to the time and I am also bringing a friend and her dog for trialling, not sure she will like leaving that early! Not sure I will like it :mad

Very true. I have realised Ruby has lost her "mojo" for heeling, so I am going to have to try ever so hard to pretend she knows nothing and retrain from scratch and make it more fun. I am getting nowhere just "making do" with what I have. Fingers crossed this plan will work, and even more so that I stick to it. This is just for heelwork, though, I will continue training other stuff as she enjoys the other stuff, it's just that darned heelwork :mad

I am just under halfway through a Molecular Genetic degree. Its a bit of a pointless degree really, but it opens up quite a few postgrad specilaty degrees :D

Yeah I am teaching Toby heelwork and I really have no idea what I am doing... so I will probably have to re-do it all in a few months :eek: Just watched this video! I love this lab http://www.akc.org/events/obedience/nation.../2010/video.cfm (click on finals) :)

I am torn for what to do postgrad! At the moment I am looking at Speech Pathology, Genetic Counselling or Embryology (IVF).

I would go for the Embryology, its in huge demand!

I know how you feel with teaching heeling, i found that it was the hardest thing to teach, Mason just did not get it at first!! I am no expert but I can show you what worked for me if you like.

If you want to only drive up saturday i would suggest you be there for 8am.

The last show had 5 terriers & about 8 hounds.

Blimey that early. At this stage I am thinking if I miss it then I do - I would have to leave at 3am for that and because I have to drive to town to pick up my friend first I might as well not go to bed!

Edited by OSoSwift

If you want to only drive up saturday i would suggest you be there for 8am.

The last show had 5 terriers & about 8 hounds.

Blimey that early. At this stage I am thinking if I miss it then I do - I would have to leave at 3am for that and because I have to drive to town to pick up my friend first I might as well not go to bed!

Having a whippet, you most likely could get there for 9 and be safe, as they dont really require much preperation you could pretty much rock up, get out the car and excersise the dogs, then walk straight into the ring... perhaps enter, and then ring the week before the show and find out what numbers are in the groups/before you.

hey GR that's so cool!! Spartan is born on the 5th of September, so Mr Dougal is just one day older than him!! :laugh:

Is anyone in the WA thread doing tracking next year?

I am contemplating it.... dunno how I would go with a little white dog, but i have searched and it appears they CAN do it....

hey GR that's so cool!! Spartan is born on the 5th of September, so Mr Dougal is just one day older than him!! :laugh:

I am contemplating it.... dunno how I would go with a little white dog, but i have searched and it appears they CAN do it....

They sure can! The few sessions I went to earlier this year, one of the newcomers had a small white fluffy, and she did REALLY well! Better than some of the gun dogs!!

I have flags and markers here to give away if anyone wants them for tracking.

:laugh: Hello Peeps. It has been too hot for me to be on the computer much lately - my house doesn't have air con but my parents' do :laugh:

Thanks for the thoughts on the fire. Was a reasonable distance from me - I am on that side of Gidge, but closer to Gidge than Morangup. Was on call for a few people we know in that area in case horses needed to be moved. Luckily it stayed in the nature reserve.

Fetchindawgs, so sorry to hear about your boy :D Did you definitely see snake bite marks? Only reason I am asking is that I had to put my best mare down (who I had owned since she was a 2yo) in 2009 after she lost the use of her back end. I had her at the vet though as she was walking "wrong" initially and they scoured her for signs of a bite and didn't find anything and all blood works came back clear. However after she lay down she didn't have the power to get herself back up again :D Horses are such heartbreaking creatures at times.

I am so not in the mood to get two dogs ready for the show tomorrow night. See lots of you there though :eek:

Yep, I'll be doing it again this year with Jenna and I plan on taking a Papillon pup and getting him started too. Little dogs do just as well as big dogs at tracking I know there are a few Paps in Australia with Tracking titles including one who was apparently the first Track and Search dog titled. Track and Search is a reletively new level for those who are already tracking champions. At least if the little ones take of after the roos we wont get dragged, so maybe little dogs are better, not that Jenna has dragged me after roos yet, but some of the dogs have gone for a chase after breaking free of their owners. :laugh:

Anyway that is my vent for this evening !!! :D

Camping on the grounds can be good, as you have a little less travelling and don't need to pack up your stuff each time . Only problem with camping in Albany is that the mozzies are gianormous and hungry and bite you through your clothes so it pays to take mozzie coils and aeroguard. :laugh:

Not sure if I'm going yet, depends on the finances, but usually have fun when we go.

:thumbsup: Hello Peeps. It has been too hot for me to be on the computer much lately - my house doesn't have air con but my parents' do :confused:

Thanks for the thoughts on the fire. Was a reasonable distance from me - I am on that side of Gidge, but closer to Gidge than Morangup. Was on call for a few people we know in that area in case horses needed to be moved. Luckily it stayed in the nature reserve.

Fetchindawgs, so sorry to hear about your boy :laugh: Did you definitely see snake bite marks? Only reason I am asking is that I had to put my best mare down (who I had owned since she was a 2yo) in 2009 after she lost the use of her back end. I had her at the vet though as she was walking "wrong" initially and they scoured her for signs of a bite and didn't find anything and all blood works came back clear. However after she lay down she didn't have the power to get herself back up again :o Horses are such heartbreaking creatures at times.

I am so not in the mood to get two dogs ready for the show tomorrow night. See lots of you there though :laugh:

Glad you were clear of the fires Mirawee!! Weve had one in our area, but not close enough to be of any threat...Just lots of smoke :laugh:

Re the horse thing.......Our old mare who we had put down last year had pretty much the same sort of symptoms. She was down, didnt have the power in her hindquarters to get up, poor old thing. She also had colic too, which made it even worse :D .. Im beginning to think she may have had some sort of stomach or gastro cancer as about a week afterwards I found a termite mound that she had completely eaten :laugh: . I figure she wasnt in a good way for some time and I just didnt see it because it wasnt that obvious.

I feel for you big time fetchindawgs....We'd had our girl since 1986, and figure she mustve been in her thirties. Its very hard when you have a horse that long. There is such a huge connection over that time.....Take care..and big hugs..