Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Did anyone else see the story about Parvo last night on the news?

No Valley I missed it - what did they say?

Basically that it was rampant at the moment and that it was possibly a new strain from overseas somewhere ...... so make sure dogs are vaccinated.

I saw a notice down at Riverside Gradens yesterday as well but I am heading back there this morning .... yes it's around, people just need to be aware.

I saw on the ABC that they are looking at testing to see if it is a new strain so if it is a vaccine can be made to appropriately cover this new strain.

Bit of a worry. Have known of a couple of dogs that were vaccinated and have died from PArvo. Leads you to believe it is a different strain.

Basically that it was rampant at the moment and that it was possibly a new strain from overseas somewhere ...... so make sure dogs are vaccinated.

I saw a notice down at Riverside Gradens yesterday as well but I am heading back there this morning .... yes it's around, people just need to be aware.

I agree, it is always out there and anouncements come up pactically every year to encourage people to vaccinate, always that its rampant or a new strain. I think vets need to drum up business as people are starting to realise that we over vaccinate out dogs. Perhaps they need to promote Titer testing rather than just push the vacination side of business,, look at how long it has taken them to admit that dogs don't need vacitated every year, but instead they tell you that the dog needs a special three year vaccination.

Sorry, as far as I'm concerned the normal yearly vaccination gives ample coverage for as long and we continue to give it every year in order to meet the requirements of our canine associations putting our dogs at risk of Vacciosious (not sure of spelling).

Sorry all, vent over I just hate putting these poisons into my dogs year after year in order to be able to be involved in canine activaties. Don't disagree with vaccinating entirely just the frequency of it.

I agree, it is always out there and anouncements come up pactically every year to encourage people to vaccinate, always that its rampant or a new strain. I think vets need to drum up business as people are starting to realise that we over vaccinate out dogs. Perhaps they need to promote Titer testing rather than just push the vacination side of business,, look at how long it has taken them to admit that dogs don't need vacitated every year, but instead they tell you that the dog needs a special three year vaccination.

Sorry, as far as I'm concerned the normal yearly vaccination gives ample coverage for as long and we continue to give it every year in order to meet the requirements of our canine associations putting our dogs at risk of Vacciosious (not sure of spelling).

Sorry all, vent over I just hate putting these poisons into my dogs year after year in order to be able to be involved in canine activaties. Don't disagree with vaccinating entirely just the frequency of it.

Yes I agree with you Ozjen, I think overvaccinating is bad for a dog, I titre test and will continue to do so for Mason and any other dogs I have.

What a lovely cool morning :eek: . I'm taking Bear to the vet this morning for his vac, should be an interesting car ride since he screamed on the drive home from the airport :( .

Yes, a lovely cool change! I'm a warm weather fan, but welcome the cool change for the dogs and my lawn!

You should take Bear out in the car more often if he is screaming to get him used to it :o I remember Ruby's first car ride (the one after she came home from the breeders), she had to sit in the backseat (belted up of course!) by herself and she screamed the car down!! I had people in other cars at the lights looking into my car :rofl::) Every time she was quiet, I leant over and gave her a treat. Seemed to work, only took another car ride or two before she was quiet :D The only noise I hear in the car these days is an impatient whine to say "are we there yet?!" :wave: Or the excited sigh as we pull into the K9 :)

I picked Cider up from the airport and she screamed the place down. Then I decided for everybody's safety that she would travel in the back of the tonka van in a crate, well on the first trip she managed to work out how to roll the crate while screaming and she did that for every trip there after, sometimes I hadn't even got out of the driveway, so I gave in, put her in the back with the rest and she has been quiet every since - whew!

I picked Cider up from the airport and she screamed the place down. Then I decided for everybody's safety that she would travel in the back of the tonka van in a crate, well on the first trip she managed to work out how to roll the crate while screaming and she did that for every trip there after, sometimes I hadn't even got out of the driveway, so I gave in, put her in the back with the rest and she has been quiet every since - whew!

I wonder how the Toller scream compares to the SBT scream :D . The first night Bear was here he screamed for an hour, I was like oh my god what have I done :rofl: , but he's a good boy now :eek: . His scream is like a yodel/howl and Banjo still does it every day when it's time for walkies :laugh: .

The Toller scream is quite impressive! :laugh:

We have 2 Staffies behind us and they are kept outside 24/7, man they make some weird noises... sometimes they sound like chooks.

I've been told Banjo sounds like a turkey :eek:

:rofl: for Staffies outside 24/7 :o obviously they haven't learnt to open doors like mine :D