Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Look I know he could lose a Kg or 2 but I would not call him overweight, especially considering some of those obese dogs walking around out there. I often get asked why my dog is so thin by people at parks etc. I think some dogs out there are too thin they remind me of the starving dogs I knew in africa but everyone knows their own dogs and who are we to judge other people? I dont do agility because IMO Mason is too big a dog to jump etc competitively.

I am not saying Mason is fat :D Banjo isn't either except to die hard performance people :eek: In the photo you posted you can see the tuck behind Mason's ribs :o but it probably isn't a brilliant photo to look at for an idea on weight as he looks like his coat is wet and so it isn't sitting flat :D In fact my post was more to highlight the different way's people perceive the weight on the same dog :eek:

Tiggy, :wave: your Banjo is a fatty too :love: maybe it has something to do with the name :happydance:

No I know you were not saying that he is fat. Yeah he was wet in that pic. I have noticed that he has picked up a bit of weight since I have fed him lamb mixed with his roo, I have switched to goat and roo now so it should improve but I could only get lamb bones this week.

Tiggy, :wave: your Banjo is a fatty too :love: maybe it has something to do with the name :o

He's going to get a complex :eek:

I do need to get him leaner for agility but he's such a good doer I pretty much have to starve him to get weight off. My other two are lean, even verging on skinny, I think they need fattening up :eek: .

If he is not overweight and he is happy and healthy then leave him as he is you are comfortable with him at that weight. He is not jumping so an extra kilo or two is not much of an issue.

Also each individuals perception of weight can vary enormously.

You could ask a working sheep dog owner, a dog sport person, a show person and a pet person and I am guessing they would all give you different ideal weights. as long as a dog is not overweight and it is going to cause quality of life issues then don't worry.

Ridiculous isn't it, I just don't get why a dog should need to be fat to be shown! Do they mistake fat for muscle condition or something? Some of the show Manchester Terriers look like little barrels on legs to me, I like dogs lean, although Trix is probably on the skinny side at the moment. She changes from day to day! Even though she is skinny she is still very muscly.

lol everyone cops shit at dog shows!

I certainly wont be going out in that heat again

Naca is peeling despite my attempts to be in the shade all day it must have been the few minures in the ring!~

Have to call the RSPCA if shows are in that heat again! lol

:eek: Hey I just don't like little barrel dogs when they shouldn't be barrel dogs! :wave:

Peeling :eek: Jeepers! Do you put sunscreen on him or is that not recommended? I know you use the special sun coats but you can't really show them with those on unfortunately :love:

Tiggy, :laugh: your Banjo is a fatty too :rofl: maybe it has something to do with the name :o

He's going to get a complex :eek:

I do need to get him leaner for agility but he's such a good doer I pretty much have to starve him to get weight off. My other two are lean, even verging on skinny, I think they need fattening up :D .

That is exactly my problem Tiggy, Mason eats next to nothing I actually worry about not feeding him enough. He gets a bone - roo or lamb- every 3rd day and then he gets about 200g of mince a day ( roo or goat at the moment) and maybe a slice of pumpkin. When we train in the mornings then I feed him even less...... It sounds wrong to even cut his mince to 100g a day because that is next to nothing ....

Ridiculous isn't it, I just don't get why a dog should need to be fat to be shown! Do they mistake fat for muscle condition or something? Some of the show Manchester Terriers look like little barrels on legs to me, I like dogs lean, although Trix is probably on the skinny side at the moment. She changes from day to day! Even though she is skinny she is still very muscly.

Dogs don't have to be fat nor do show people strive for it but muscle & condition go hand in hand & skinny dogs being shown is just as bad as fat.

My show dogs aren't fat & in the past my show dogs also did agility but agility has now become a sport for select breeds so i no longer compete as i won't put them at risk with courses not friendly to all shapes & sizes.

If YOU are worried about Masons weight and don't want to cut his food portions you could always exercise him more. :D

Also remember most herding breeds are built way lighter and meant to be built way lighter then the bigger retrievers, look at the standard of a lab, they have 'barrel' shaped, deep ribs, no amount of weight loss will change that shape! Have a chat to some people who work thier labs in the field about the ideal weight for a working lab . I don't see why you can't do agility with Mason, a healthy lab should have no problem jumping a couse of 500mm jumps.

If YOU are worried about Masons weight and don't want to cut his food portions you could always exercise him more. :rofl:

If he's anything like Banjo you can only increase exercise so much, especially over the summer, or it's like flogging a dead horse :D , Banjo is a short bursts of energy type of guy :laugh: .

:D Hey I just don't like little barrel dogs when they shouldn't be barrel dogs! :laugh:

Peeling :eek: Jeepers! Do you put sunscreen on him or is that not recommended? I know you use the special sun coats but you can't really show them with those on unfortunately :rofl:

I do use sunscreen but it wears off very quickly hence the sun coats ( The dogs skin is diff to human skin as in balance)

I at least can see that mine are burnt I doubt many people would even notice burnt skin under a coat, if a sparse coated dog.

Luckily only two more day time shows (I think) and the Bunbury one I will just take them home after the breed class.

J

If YOU are worried about Masons weight and don't want to cut his food portions you could always exercise him more. :rofl:

If he's anything like Banjo you can only increase exercise so much, especially over the summer, or it's like flogging a dead horse :D , Banjo is a short bursts of energy type of guy :laugh: .

I dont really think he needs more exercise to be honest, he has such a low heart rate from being so fit that the derm and our regular vets have both double checked his heart as its unusual.

Also like Tiggy said in summer he wont do any exercise besides swimming.

Edited by Mason2009

:D Hey I just don't like little barrel dogs when they shouldn't be barrel dogs! :laugh:

Peeling :eek: Jeepers! Do you put sunscreen on him or is that not recommended? I know you use the special sun coats but you can't really show them with those on unfortunately :rofl:

I do use sunscreen but it wears off very quickly hence the sun coats ( The dogs skin is diff to human skin as in balance)

I at least can see that mine are burnt I doubt many people would even notice burnt skin under a coat, if a sparse coated dog.

Luckily only two more day time shows (I think) and the Bunbury one I will just take them home after the breed class.

J

Mason got burnt on his tummy/groin area the other day - first time it has happened.

Swimming is great excercise! Wish my sooks would swim!

I wouldn't let it worry you too much.

Incidentally Lewis and Rommi also have low resting heart rates what is Mason's?? Lewis's is 38 to 40bpm and Rommi is 40 to 41. I had a friend check her Whippets and they were around 65. I don't class mine as super fit, but I guess since they both have low heart rates they must be. Apparently many hounds do have a low resting heart rate.

If just one of the dogs had an exceptionally low heart rate I might be a little concerend but they have both checked out healthy.

Edited by OSoSwift

Swimming is great excercise! Wish my sooks would swim!

I wouldn't let it worry you too much.

Incidentally Lewis and Rommi also have low resting heart rates what is Mason's?? Lewis's is 38 to 40bpm and Rommi is 40 to 41. I had a friend check her Whippets and they were around 65. I don't class mine as super fit, but I guess since they both have low heart rates they must be. Apparently many hounds do have a low resting heart rate.

If just one of the dogs had an exceptionally low heart rate I might be a little concerend but they have both checked out healthy.

I think its around 50....but I could be mistaken - it was a few weeks ago that he was at the vet now.

I took Sophie and Banjo to Riverside this morning and it was lovely, so quiet compared to the weekend. I couldn't take Buster cause he's limping poor old boy :thumbsup: . On a happy note I got Shimi her first little collar and lead today :D .

Forgot to say I went to the new City Farmers in Midland today. I was like a kid in a lolly store :thumbsup: .

I was there about 10 days ago - I found the collar and lead selection a bit lacking, I did buy 2 toys tho...

Why do you think my girls have been wearing the same scabby collars/leads for almost 2 years now! I just can't find anything half decent in the shops! And buying 2 sets online plus postage has made me hold out. Finally ordered the Clean Run ones, I hope they are ok :D Collars/leads are like handbags for me, I like to chop and change often and when I can't, it drives me bonkers!! Ruby went through so many before I got Millie :laugh: