Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

We tried but poor old WA is outvoted by the Eastern States so we really don't get a look in :cry:

Do you do UDX with any of your lot at the moment Ptolomy?

I did it with Lara, was doing bits with Blaize, but none of the others are smart enough :) .

I have been waiting for the new rules to come out as I didn't want to train something that was no longer applicable. It was the one class that could have done with a complete overhaul, but unfortunately it is not a lot different.

This was taken from the oz obedience list and is only up to novice so far.

TITLES

1) CCD will need a pass mark of 85 instead of 70. Presumably existing

(pre 2011) Quali-cards @ 70 will still count.

2) Champion (OC) can now be obtained by the 2009 way (5 passes at 185+

in UD after the UD title); OR two passes at UDX/185+ AFTER the UDX title.

3) Grand Obedience Champion (Gr.O.C) - 5 additional passes at 185+ in

UDX after the OC title. This means you need a minimum of 3@170 (UDX),

2@185 (OC), and then 5@185 (Gr.OC)

EXHIBITS

Fouling - penalty is now "5%" instead of "10 points" (due to the oddity

with CCD out of 100 points)

EHIBITORS AND HANDLERS

1) Change of pace (minor wording change, was speed)

2) Heeling (Failure to perform at least one sit, one down, and one stand

in the heeling exercise must incur a non-qualifying score.)

JUDGING PROCEDURES

1) Examinations - different procedure with limitations on the Judge

2) Non-qualifying score - An NQ score is not grounds for removal in

itself, but the Judge is permitted to direct a competitor to leave the

ring if they are using it for training.

3) Retrieving - wholesale changes (simplification)

EQUIPMENT

1) Nominated area (UDX) - the cones may remain in place throughout

judging, or be placed specifically for the exercise and then removed

2) Scent Discrimination (UD) - the mat may be removed before the Group

Exercises

Classes - Community Companion Dog

1) Qualifying score now 85

2) Stand for examination now 20 (was 10)

3) 1 min sit now 15 (was 20)

4) 2 min down now 15 (was 20)

5) Recall is now a call-to-front-and-sit, WITHOUT the "return to your dog"

Thanks Ptolomy :cry:

Exercises

What mat? ;) I have never seen a mat used in UD here :) Am I just really unobservant?

vCBR, great that you enjoyed ACWA :) I will be there next week as long as one of my horses doesn't try and kill themself again :rofl:

JUDGING PROCEDURES

1) Examinations - different procedure with limitations on the Judge

Has this one got to do with this line? (as I have no idea if this is a new bit :rofl:)

Examinations:

For all examinations the Judge must approach the dog from the right or left front and not direct front. In

examining the dog, the Judge will touch those parts of the dog’s body detailed in the exercise description

for each class. This is a temperament test so undue pressure must not be exerted on the dog’s

shoulders, back or hips to test for ‘stability’.

Does that mean that that tough SFE that a few of us have been subjected to won't be allowed anymore?

Another change I noticed, I think, was the optional dumbell retrieve in Novice, exercise finishes with the dog in front after taking dumbell - handler doesn't have to go round dog anymore.

:cry::) to CCD score needing to be 85! While that means Ruby would still be in CCD ;) I think it's a fantastic rule change :)

Edited by RubyStar

You're in the same class as me aren't you Mirawee? We've been bundled in with pre-novice now... got two laps on the one course last night...

I will just train both girls at 8.15 instead now ;) They are both trialling dogs. You should have Kyzer up at 8.15 too... particularly as once he gets his final AD pass (wonder if he or Jenna will get there first :cry: ) he will be kicked out anyway :)

Mats in UD aren't required on our bowling greens :) but they are regularly used in the eastern states.

OK, so they are just used so that the articles aren't lost in the grass then rather than making sure you don't have "nice" smells in the grass? It is always interesting hearing people from other States commenting on the DogsWest grounds given how much flack us WAians give it now :cry:

Yeah but the whole problem is I need instruction because I don't know what I'm doing :cry:

Next year I will probably go up.

The other thing that worried me is having the only 300 dog it would be impossible to get the heights down for our go but reading that email that just came through on the ACWA list makes me think they are catering for that now.

And I think Jenna will get it first :) Either way I reckon both Jenna and Kyzer will be in Masters Jumping before they are out of Novice Agility ;)

The majority use a mat in the Eastern States for Scent Discrimination. We are blessed with nice grounds so don't need to worry about using one. I used to use a mat with Ruby (Kelpie) but it was a real pain as I was the only one using it and most clubs had theirs stored way deep in the bottom of the training box and many were mouldy and smelly...I used to bring my own. I vowed never to use one since those days!!!! The other thing I hate about using a mat is that the articles roll about when the dog steps on it and scented articles then touch unscented ones...my motto....KISS :banghead: No mat ;)

Thanks Ptolomy :cry:

Exercises

What mat? :rofl: I have never seen a mat used in UD here :p Am I just really unobservant?

vCBR, great that you enjoyed ACWA :) I will be there next week as long as one of my horses doesn't try and kill themself again :)

And I think Jenna will get it first :cry: Either way I reckon both Jenna and Kyzer will be in Masters Jumping before they are out of Novice Agility :)

We only have 2 more trials this year I think. Jenna only needs one more pass for both her AD and her JDX :rofl: Kyzer is the same isn't he? ;)

Mats in UD aren't required on our bowling greens :) but they are regularly used in the eastern states.

OK, so they are just used so that the articles aren't lost in the grass then rather than making sure you don't have "nice" smells in the grass? It is always interesting hearing people from other States commenting on the DogsWest grounds given how much flack us WAians give it now :cry:

But have you seen all the prickles that the new growth has given us? :) Ruby jumped out of the car Monday night and into a bindi patch, and proceeded to limp around. Put her in the car and took a look at her pads and they were covered in little needles :rofl: Then the patch near the roped off bit is looking atrocious! ;)

But have you seen all the prickles that the new growth has given us? :cry: Ruby jumped out of the car Monday night and into a bindi patch, and proceeded to limp around. Put her in the car and took a look at her pads and they were covered in little needles :) Then the patch near the roped off bit is looking atrocious! :)

;) So we have to cope with prickles as well as those little black ants now? :rofl: Do they want all our agility/obedience dogs to be lame or something :p

And I think Jenna will get it first :) Either way I reckon both Jenna and Kyzer will be in Masters Jumping before they are out of Novice Agility ;)

We only have 2 more trials this year I think. Jenna only needs one more pass for both her AD and her JDX :) Kyzer is the same isn't he? :rofl:

Yep they are tied :cry:

There are trials on the 31/10, 6/11, 13/11, 27/11, 11/12, all evening trials except for the one this month :p

You're in the same class as me aren't you Mirawee? We've been bundled in with pre-novice now... got two laps on the one course last night...

I will just train both girls at 8.15 instead now :rofl: They are both trialling dogs. You should have Kyzer up at 8.15 too... particularly as once he gets his final AD pass (wonder if he or Jenna will get there first :cry: ) he will be kicked out anyway :)

You can bet it won't be Jenna, I think a certain little 200 dog who hasn't started yet will even beat Jenna ;)

I might make biscuits but only for the awesome people going to Bunbury! (I.e just me :p )

Hey valleyCBR, J and I are going to Bunbury, are we awesome enough? :cheer::cheer:

You so are! :) Are you going to be showing 2 dogs ozjen? Make sure to come say hi! I will have Lincoln and I am bringing my friend and he is bringing his Bronson :laugh:

You can bet it won't be Jenna, I think a certain little 200 dog who hasn't started yet will even beat Jenna :cheer:

Are you going to the trial on the 31st? The little Papillon in my class is entered, it's their first trial :cheer: He's going to beat Kyzer and Jenna to his AD title for sure :)