Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Older dogs are definitely heartbreaking at times.

A few years ago one of our old Shelties was doing very poorly, struggling to move, so we took her to the vet where she remained overnight for testing. We picked her up the next day with the vet telling us it was time to let her go, but we wanted her to have one last night at home rather than her last night being at the vet. The next day she was a different dog! So needless to say she didn't go back to the vet. However at that stage we made the decision that the next time she stopped eating and was in pain we would say goodbye - no more tests no more poking and prodding just a gentle helping hand to go to sleep. She lasted another 6 months...

So we don't give up on our animals if they are willing to fight, but we do not keep them with us if they are ready to go.

And my remaining dogs don't let me grieve for long - Varda and Banjo think that if I am crying in bed they need to come and lick up my tears :provoke:

Older dogs are definitely heartbreaking at times.

A few years ago one of our old Shelties was doing very poorly, struggling to move, so we took her to the vet where she remained overnight for testing. We picked her up the next day with the vet telling us it was time to let her go, but we wanted her to have one last night at home rather than her last night being at the vet. The next day she was a different dog! So needless to say she didn't go back to the vet. However at that stage we made the decision that the next time she stopped eating and was in pain we would say goodbye - no more tests no more poking and prodding just a gentle helping hand to go to sleep. She lasted another 6 months...

So we don't give up on our animals if they are willing to fight, but we do not keep them with us if they are ready to go.

And my remaining dogs don't let me grieve for long - Varda and Banjo think that if I am crying in bed they need to come and lick up my tears :crossfingers:

Our doggies know when we need a little extra TLC, that is one of the special things I love about them.

Gizmo gave me a scare a couple of weeks ago and while I was trying to get up the courage to take him to the vet I thought I would take some last pictures. He continued to be less than interested until I picked up a toy, his face lit up and he found his bounce again. After that he ate some hand fed chicken meat, the first food for a couple of days which is unuasual for Giz who loves his food. Has been his perky self ever since although I know that can't go on forever so am just enjoying what ever time we have.

Valley CBR, I'm so sorry about Lilly and the decision that is looming for you, but glad you have the strength to make the right decision for her. Feel free to talk about it here as much as you like, we have all been there at some stage and would like to be able to offer whatever support we can. Sending hugs yours and Lillly's way and hope the rest of the family is coping too.

My best friend who met Lilly for the first time the same day I did is overseas at the moment and won't be coming home for quite awhile so I have made him a little clip on Youtube he can watch for some comfort and to say goodbye in case he dosn't get a chance. I thought I would share it here too in case anyone was interested in seeing a video of Lilly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEk6BkaDauk...e=youtube_gdata

That video of Lilly was really sweet! ;) I love montages. Look at how young you were too when you first got her! And Toby and his bucket head and leg in a cast, poor little sod! Give Lilly a big (and gentle) hug for me, she looks to be a real sweetie!! :o

My best friend who met Lilly for the first time the same day I did is overseas at the moment and won't be coming home for quite awhile so I have made him a little clip on Youtube he can watch for some comfort and to say goodbye in case he dosn't get a chance. I thought I would share it here too in case anyone was interested in seeing a video of Lilly

You have some really beautiful memories of Lilly there Han, such precious treasures! :o

You have some really beautiful memories of Lilly there Han, such precious treasures! :o

what a beautiful tribute, made me cry as it was oozing the warmth from a very special girl, strength to you all xoxo

Hi all, not sure where to put this one but I was after a bit of advice. I live regional WA and was looking to bring my dogs down to Perth for a week or two and require kennels.

I was looking at All Breeds Pet Retreat in Kenwick as I would love them to do some training to help relieve boredom while they are there. Anyone had any good/not so good reports?

Hi all, not sure where to put this one but I was after a bit of advice. I live regional WA and was looking to bring my dogs down to Perth for a week or two and require kennels.

I was looking at All Breeds Pet Retreat in Kenwick as I would love them to do some training to help relieve boredom while they are there. Anyone had any good/not so good reports?

Hi Korbin and welcome! :laugh:

I haven't heard of that kennel. A lot of people recommend Ashridge Kennels - always booked up well in advance apparently which is a good sign!

Hi Korbin and welcome! :laugh:

I haven't heard of that kennel. A lot of people recommend Ashridge Kennels - always booked up well in advance apparently which is a good sign!

there is a dog at the rspca i am completely smitten with =( he has been there for 4 months. So if anyone knows anyone looking for a bc x kelpie type dog he is soooo sweet

I wish I could take him. He has stolen my heart

Kennels that do training generally charge for it .

So it depends whether you simply want a good kennel for1/2 weekes or a kennel that does both??

Your dogs shouldn't get bored if you select a kennel where they spend many hrs in the outside yards & not 10 mins am/pm whilst they clean.

You also shouldn't be paying for outside time

VCBR - that was a beautiful tribute for your gorgeous Lilly!! What an absolutely beautiful girl, I have such a soft spot for B&T's ;) ....And dont you dare feel like you cant share your sad stuff on here. Thats one of the things I believe we are here for, to support our fellow dog & animal lovers :rofl: I understand (as many others do) what you are going through and how you may be feeling. You have inspired me to make a montage of my darling first RR girl, who was the bestest ever dog who taught me soooo much! My heart broke whense lost her - 5 years ago now, but I still tear up (like right now) when I start thinking about her too much.

So head here and talk whenever you need to!

Lovely clip Valley, I know how you must be feeling, I had my horse that I had had for over 12 years PTS in July, I miss him loads but I know we will meet again some day :)

Mas, we lost our darling old mare this year too. She was 30+ and we got her in 1984............So she was very much part of our family! I still expect to see her head over the fence when I drive up the driveway, and when the rain comes my first thought is "I better go rug Sal", til I then quickly realise where she is she will never need another rug. She is running with her beloved mates Nicky, Pancho and Fancy somewhere.

Everytime we lose one of our beloved pets it hurts - big time! But we have to remember ALL the joy they give us over the time they are with us. Which is why we have them in the first place. I have lost 4 of my animal family in the last 12 months, which has been hard - but I know they had the best life here with us.

Sorry rambled a bit too much there...................

On a brighter note, my feral, sensitive sooky RR girl actually ate two brisket bones this morning :provoke: She took about a week, well not quite, too eat them after she figured out how to gnaw on them. But once she got into them she really loved 'em :) . I will keep an eye on her over the next few days to see if she has any reaction to them, but Im hoping she will be fine! She hasnt had any beef for along time, and I really want her to be eating some bones. I think she needs a bit more than chicken wings (which make her itch like mad) and I dont like lamb shanks - too splintery.