Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

thanks for the info so last question rofl are you allowed multiple handlers for the et?/ so i could do a lap, get my friend to do one then i do the last one??

Yes, changes of handler are allowed in the ET - a friend and her hubby shared the running when they did it with her BC - she did 2 section, he did one.

Personally, although you can run a dog once it's turned 2, I would wait a year or so, both because of physical maturity and 'emotional' maturity. My 2 BC's were 4 when we did it - as were my friend's BC and another friend's Sheltie.

Although the 20 km is covered in 2 hours, it's worth training the dog (and handler :) ) to be able to handle a pace a bit faster than that, since some judges like to do the first leg at a little bit above the average pace, to have a bit of time in the the bank to spend on the third leg if necessary, and in case of accidents, and needing to allow a team to catch up (se I had to do when Fergus had a huge shake in a sleet storm and I had to fall off my bike (to avoid falling on him. :laugh: ) Then the bike got mud stuck in the brakes, and I had to borrow one for a while while mine got fixed. I was very, very glad our judge had banked a bit of time ;) )

When friends and I were training, we worked up to being comfortable at about 13/14 kph. The other thing to remember is gradually hardening up the dog's pads by riding on gravel and concrete or bitumen as well as grass.

It's great fun - my friend and I hadn't ridden bikes for a looooong time - so the training started without the dog :laugh: . I'm planning on doing it with Rory the year after next, when he'll be rising 4 (and I'll be old enough to know better :D .)

Seriously, if you saw me at agility Nationals, you'll know that I'm a short, dumpy senior citizen - so if I can do it, you youngsters certainly can :D .

thanks for the info so last question rofl are you allowed multiple handlers for the et?/ so i could do a lap, get my friend to do one then i do the last one??

Yes, changes of handler are allowed in the ET - a friend and her hubby shared the running when they did it with her BC - she did 2 section, he did one.

Personally, although you can run a dog once it's turned 2, I would wait a year or so, both because of physical maturity and 'emotional' maturity. My 2 BC's were 4 when we did it - as were my friend's BC and another friend's Sheltie.

Although the 20 km is covered in 2 hours, it's worth training the dog (and handler :) ) to be able to handle a pace a bit faster than that, since some judges like to do the first leg at a little bit above the average pace, to have a bit of time in the the bank to spend on the third leg if necessary, and in case of accidents, and needing to allow a team to catch up (se I had to do when Fergus had a huge shake in a sleet storm and I had to fall off my bike (to avoid falling on him. :laugh: ) Then the bike got mud stuck in the brakes, and I had to borrow one for a while while mine got fixed. I was very, very glad our judge had banked a bit of time ;) )

When friends and I were training, we worked up to being comfortable at about 13/14 kph. The other thing to remember is gradually hardening up the dog's pads by riding on gravel and concrete or bitumen as well as grass.

It's great fun - my friend and I hadn't ridden bikes for a looooong time - so the training started without the dog :laugh: . I'm planning on doing it with Rory the year after next, when he'll be rising 4 (and I'll be old enough to know better :D .)

Seriously, if you saw me at agility Nationals, you'll know that I'm a short, dumpy senior citizen - so if I can do it, you youngsters certainly can :D .

thankyou for the information i might just have to give it a go when i get my dog back form being campaigned inqld she wuill be three just before christmas this year so i might be able to do it :) her daughter is still a way off it yet rofl she is onl 5 months :(

well i can't find anything in the rules to say the handlers must be canine members so it's either changed or i read the wrong info a while ago!! so, tha means OH can do a leg or two - hooray!!

It may not say it but I am sure for Insurance purposes they may have to be a mamber or something ( Just the way Occ H and Safety laws are these days!)

well i can't find anything in the rules to say the handlers must be canine members so it's either changed or i read the wrong info a while ago!! so, tha means OH can do a leg or two - hooray!!

I will do a leg for Ari if you will do one for Lincoln in two years. :)

I will do a leg for Ari if you will do one for Lincoln in two years. :laugh:

If you're pimping your services, you wanna run one of my ratbags for the entire thing? :)

I will do a leg for Ari if you will do one for Lincoln in two years. :D

If you're pimping your services, you wanna run one of my ratbags for the entire thing? :)

But what do I get in return for that :laugh: I will definetly consider it but only if you train your girls not to get so excited they will pull me off the bike if they see a person/dog/bird/anything :laugh: I know my lesson the hard way from going rollerblading with my friends lab. :D

Think I'll stick with my Labbies :laugh:

In all seriousness I will try and get fit enough to do it next year but I need a training plan for me, so if anyone has one please share the link :o

Thanks! I will let you know also, though, as I may be doing both girls myself (different times of course, as I think there are at least 2 ET's a year?) Friend has 2 Labs so we will each do one then do the other at the next ET :p

It's not in the ANKC rules, but I'm pretty sure it will be in the CAWA regs that people (at least adults) must be members of CAWA (or the Control in the state they reside in) in order to take part in any sanctioned event. So you'll have to join OH up. :p (Had to do that with my friend's OH so that he could handle one of my dogs for me in ET.)

:laugh: about the bungee leash - not sure that would help if one of the gundogs took off after a bird :o - but in any case, you're not allowed to use anything other than a normal leash which you have to hold in your hand - used to be left hand, but they've changed that now (saves having to change brakes etc. over to the other side). Dog may wear flat collar and/or harness (tracking style). I used a tracking harness with mine, as I felt it spread the load a bit for them.

It's not in the ANKC rules, but I'm pretty sure it will be in the CAWA regs that people (at least adults) must be members of CAWA (or the Control in the state they reside in) in order to take part in any sanctioned event. So you'll have to join OH up. ;) (Had to do that with my friend's OH so that he could handle one of my dogs for me in ET.)

:laugh: about the bungee leash - not sure that would help if one of the gundogs took off after a bird :o - but in any case, you're not allowed to use anything other than a normal leash which you have to hold in your hand - used to be left hand, but they've changed that now (saves having to change brakes etc. over to the other side). Dog may wear flat collar and/or harness (tracking style). I used a tracking harness with mine, as I felt it spread the load a bit for them.

Thanks for that! :p I did meet you at nationals but I didn't realise who you were until way after.

A normal leash should be ok but I might have to invest in some of those dorky elbow, wrist and knee pads that I my nonna got me to rollerblade in. :rofl:

Thanks for that! I did meet you at nationals but I didn't realise who you were until way after.
:laugh:

So you know what I mean when I say if I can do ET (training 2 dogs at the same time to do it) then anyone can :o .

Now I have to get the bike in shape again to start doing some biking with Mr Rory - apart from leading up to ET in a year or two it should help his gaiting.

but in any case, you're not allowed to use anything other than a normal leash which you have to hold in your hand - used to be left hand, but they've changed that now (saves having to change brakes etc. over to the other side).

I'm confused now... what hand must you hold the lead in? I thought the brakes were normally on the right side, leaving your left hand to hold the lead with your dog on the left? :laugh:

I will do a leg for Ari if you will do one for Lincoln in two years. ;)

I will do a leg for Ari if you will do one for Lincoln in two years. :sick:

If you're pimping your services, you wanna run one of my ratbags for the entire thing? :laugh:

if services are being pimped out i will grab a handler rofl i am so unfit :rofl: but i need my dog to start training furst and i think the bike sounds like the way to go

but in any case, you're not allowed to use anything other than a normal leash which you have to hold in your hand - used to be left hand, but they've changed that now (saves having to change brakes etc. over to the other side).

I'm confused now... what hand must you hold the lead in? I thought the brakes were normally on the right side, leaving your left hand to hold the lead with your dog on the left? :hug:

:hug: Sorry RS - what I was really saying is that the rules used to prescribe which hand you had to hold the lead in - and whichever side that was, it was inconvenient (shows you how much I pay attention to bikes :) ).

Anyway, now, you can hold the lead in either hand - in fact the rules say the lead must be long enough to hold in either hand, but the dog must be on the left of the handler/bike.

I'm not sure at the pace you need to do to the ET at, but I think you'd have to be a super duper power walker to walk it! People normally bike it, if they're unfit like me and could never make it jogging! The fit people tend to jog it, but I think you'll find the majority bike it!

We are starting out with walks and building them up, then progressing to the bikes. I like this idea, as it gets me some walking time in throughout the year because I hardly ever exercise and am in desperate need of some!!

Hey if I can do it anyone can, they don't come more unfit than me. On quiet a few legs of the ET we were told to slow down abit and Jenna didn't break out of an easy trot, I had accually been training her at a slightly faster pace than what was required. It's surpising how quickly the dogs get into condition biking, even if you only do it two or three times a week. I miss biking her but we did a major stack just before the Royal last year and the bike is cactus, bought a new one the other week so we could bike again but have decided it might be safer if I get something smaller. Just watch out for the dog stopping suddenly as in going from a fast trot to a dead stop as it can be painful.