Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

but getting the papers and the dog truely being in my name, is. Not having a go at anyone either, just having my 2 cents worth, not that it is worth anything ;)

But you will get the papers :) Just as soon as a sterilisation certificate is sent to the breeder :) Well in my case anyway :laugh:

In fact we got the sterilisation certificate with a nice photo of the dog with his new "parents" and a thank you card :thumbsup:

However I can see how people more in the know would be more put off by it than regular pet owners ;)

but getting the papers and the dog truely being in my name, is. Not having a go at anyone either, just having my 2 cents worth, not that it is worth anything ;)

But you will get the papers :) Just as soon as a sterilisation certificate is sent to the breeder ;) Well in my case anyway :laugh:

In fact we got the sterilisation certificate with a nice photo of the dog with his new "parents" and a thank you card :thumbsup:

However I can see how people more in the know would be more put off by it than regular pet owners ;)

But that is my point, getting them after sterilisation for me personally "puts me off" ;) The dog is still technically owned by the breeder until such time. I prefer my girls to have a season before sterilisation (note I said season, NOT pregnancy!! :p) so the dog would not be techcnically mine for quite a while. It's just a feeling I don't like :)

Though I do understand why some breeders choose to do this, not everyone can be trusted. A breeder is within their right to do so, no arguments there! But as a responsible dog owner, I am aware that I have the option to seek out a breeder that suits my needs as well as me suiting theirs ;) To me a breeder/buyer relationship is important so you need to find a good match up front. I couldn't be happier with my relationship with the lady who bred Ruby :)

Edited by RubyStar

Both my ridgy girls were on "breeders terms", which meant they were still registered in the breeders names until they had a litter or were spayed. Luckily the breeders are wonderful, have become good friends and we havent had any dramas. Neither bitches ended up being bred for one reason or another, and I think we got papers for them soon after that decision was made. Quite early for out first girl - about 12 months. But wasnt until 2 - 2 1/2 years for Zola. I was showing Zola too, so it wasnt a problem.

To me, even though the dog was still in the breeders name, she was all mine - she lived with me, I trained her, fed her, paid her vet bills etc.. ....Damn, mabe I shouldve sent them the vet bills :thumbsup::laugh:

But in all seriousness, I can see how things could get out of hand - - dependant on the breeder and the buyer!

RS, Im gathering your dogs are from different breeders??

Rat

While I can see the conditions placed on not receiving papers until the pup is desexed, I am not sure how easy I would find doing that to a puppy buyer... I think it really does depend on the person, and talking through it with someone, I think most puppy buyers would understand...

but I wouldn't want puppy buyers to rush to get the dog desexed either, particularly in my breed. It's sort of a catch 22...

I actually like the idea of a refund once puppy is desexed... a good incentive...

I was thinking about this while cooking dinner (the amazing part of this story is I was actually cooking :thumbsup:) and though it's rare, you have to remember there are also dodgy breeders out there. What if the "pet dog" who went out to a family turned out to be a wonderful example of the breed, the breeder could be dodgy and claim that dog back as theirs, because afterall, it is still registered to them. There was a thread not long ago about breeders terms, and one of the conditions a breeder wanted was if the dog turned out great, they have the right to take that dog back! :laugh:

LabRat, Ruby I got as a puppy from a breeder on Limited Register, while Millie I got as an adult from Labrador Rescue :)

I think it's pretty clear I have no intention of breeding. I willingly desexed Ruby, there was no desexing contract with the breeder, and I got a rescue who a) comes desexed and b) definitely doesn't have any papers!! :)

Edited by RubyStar

Whose name is on the papers has nothing to do with who owns the dog. If someone has a receipt for the dog that dates after the papers were processed then they would be the owner in the eyes of the law. We have one dog who is in co-ownership, but because they aren't (or weren't) interested in showing the dog is registered in our names and will remain so until such a time as they decide to join the CAWA, which could be never :thumbsup: But they own the dog legally...

Our contract stated the dog must be desexed by 12 months of age, so plenty of time to have a season for girl dogs :laugh: Of course the contract is void if a bitch gets pregnant (and that is written in the contract) In our case the owners chose to sterilise at 6 months, but that was fully their choice.

If the dog wasn't sterilised by the time a dog was ready to compete and the dog was less than 12 months then we would negotiate with the owner about having the papers transferred but they would need to have a good reason for why the deed hadn't been done.

Yes, it is probably overkill, but I have no desire to see any crossbred Lappies around the place.

mirawee, I respect your decision to do so, and I am no way saying it is wrong or passing judgement on your decision. I'm just stating how I personally feel on the topic and what I look for in a breeder and dog. There is nothing wrong with that either :happydance2::dancingelephant:

I don't think the prayers will help valley :rofl: my reliable sources are fairly certain it will rain

But the undercover is booked for Sunday... it's more pleasant for the GDC show anyway, as it's not crowded with the other groups.

Hi Rubystar, Great to hear you are going to the June retrieving trials. It is always a fun weekend away with retrieving people. There will be a toilet put up on the campsite (not fancy, but an enclosed drop toilet), so you won't have to go in the bushes at camp, at least. But, out on the runs there won't be any other choice I'm afraid.

Bring plenty of warm clothes, and wet weather gear, and, warm bedding. Lots of food for yourself and Ruby (it's amazing how hungry the country air makes you) ! Plenty of water too. Several people have portable showers and you might be able to get one if you have some water to use for it.

There is usually a get together every night at one of the caravans, where people can eat and drink whatever, and there is lively conversation. We also usually have clay shooting after each days trials, so you might get to have a go at that. It is great fun. Also heaps of room to train your dog.

If you could borrow a campertrailer for the weekend, or a tent, it would make it more comfortable for you.

A lot of people travel down on the Friday and set up camp, but some go down on the Saturday morning. There is a motel in Williams that several people stay at, then travel down to the site (about 26 km), each morning.

Hope this helps,

Did I read the retrieving trials are going to held at Arthur River??? If it is, then yes make sure you bring down lots of warm clothing!!

Is it much of a spectator sport?? I only ask as we dont live toooo far away, and it would be good to see another dog sport happening!

VCBR - I think SparkyTansy is right! By the look of last nights weather map I dont think any amount of prayers will help :rofl: :rofl:

Speaking of weather - has anyone been watching the program on the ABC about the planets? Last night was all about Jupiter. What an amazing place that is!

Rat

Not sure if anyone has reported yet. There have been several cases of pavo in Carnarvon area. :rofl: Poor doggies.

Bugger, I have a friend up there with 2 dogs, hope they're okay.

RubyStar, absolutely it is up to the individual what they will do and what they won't do regarding papers :rofl: However just don't be upset if you are knocked back by a breeder if you insist on papers straight away as most will think it strange as they are worthless unless you want to show, trial or breed :party: ETA: All I was trying to say is that papers do not override a receipt in terms of legal ownership.

I am hoping it does rain and lots and lots! Tomorrow anyway :rofl: My horse event has been cancelled due to the forecast and I will be very annoyed if the rain doesn't eventuate. Plus we need it so badly :rofl:

Edited by mirawee

RubyStar, absolutely it is up to the individual what they will do and what they won't do regarding papers :party: However just don't be upset if you are knocked back by a breeder if you insist on papers straight away as most will think it strange as they are worthless unless you want to show, trial or breed :D ETA: All I was trying to say is that papers do not override a receipt in terms of legal ownership.

I guess I am looking at this from the perspective of a puppy buyer who wants more than "just a pet", and who has a bit more knowledge on going about buying a pedigree dog than say the average Joe Blow off the street. If a pet person insisted on papers upfront, sure I'd think that would seem a little odd too, but I wouldn't dismiss them until I found out more about them and why they are even mentioning papers. Any future breeder I approach will be informed of my desire to trial my dog in dog sports as I am currently doing with my dogs, and I am also contemplating showing my next one if I can find a breeder who will allow me to purchase one from them (if not then I'll just stick to activities I know :rofl:) I consider myself a very responsible dog owner with only the best intentions for my dog/s and the breed/s, and with no intentions of breeding (responsibly or irresponsibly!), so I didn't think having the dog registered in my name at the time of purchase would be such an issue. My next dog will be many, MANY years off, and the decision won't be made lightly. I'll be researching breeders well in advance and building up a relationship with them so I'm not just a random puppy buyer to them. I will know earlier on then if we are a good match for a puppy "transaction" :rofl:

I hope that makes sense and gives a little more insight into why I think that way. Not trying to have an all-out debate on the topic and make any enemies over it, as I rarely speak my mind on controversial topics! Just wanted to show that I am seeing this from someone who I guess lies somewhere in between the breeder and average pet buyer :rofl::rock:

Edit for spelling :D

Edited by RubyStar

Hmm note to self to pack rainjackets for tomorrow - just in case any of the kids are on a pass and need to do stays :rofl:

Can we do stays under a gazebo? :rofl: That's even if I make it to stays! Ruby doesn't have a rain jacket. If she did, she'd need one with a hood too, the big wuss....

Hi Rubystar, Great to hear you are going to the June retrieving trials. It is always a fun weekend away with retrieving people. There will be a toilet put up on the campsite (not fancy, but an enclosed drop toilet), so you won't have to go in the bushes at camp, at least. But, out on the runs there won't be any other choice I'm afraid.

Bring plenty of warm clothes, and wet weather gear, and, warm bedding. Lots of food for yourself and Ruby (it's amazing how hungry the country air makes you) ! Plenty of water too. Several people have portable showers and you might be able to get one if you have some water to use for it.

There is usually a get together every night at one of the caravans, where people can eat and drink whatever, and there is lively conversation. We also usually have clay shooting after each days trials, so you might get to have a go at that. It is great fun. Also heaps of room to train your dog.

If you could borrow a campertrailer for the weekend, or a tent, it would make it more comfortable for you.

A lot of people travel down on the Friday and set up camp, but some go down on the Saturday morning. There is a motel in Williams that several people stay at, then travel down to the site (about 26 km), each morning.

Hope this helps,

Thanks for that!! So much to organise :rofl:

Did I read the retrieving trials are going to held at Arthur River??? If it is, then yes make sure you bring down lots of warm clothing!!

Is it much of a spectator sport?? I only ask as we dont live toooo far away, and it would be good to see another dog sport happening!

Probably not much of a spectator sport, nothing like agility anyway! Most times you can't really see the full run, but it is interesting to watch if it is of interest to you!